1,432 results
All reviewsherring restaurantsoft playbedruthan stepsfamily hotelkids clubsea viewthe baby listening servicecocktail barsensory gardenkids teaschool holidayshalf termyoung childrenzip wirechild friendly hotelplay areaevening entertainment
Reviewed 14 October 2017

So where do we start about why we chose The Bedruthan Hotel to stay at this week? Well, one reason was that my wife and I stayed 2 nights all inclusive last year, to celebrate her birthday and had a lovely holiday. Before we left we were told to bring Tilly our adorable Labrador Retriever with us next time. We were a little apprehensive because we have never taken her away on holiday before and wondered how she would cope? I emailed The Bedruthan Hotel on August bank holiday Sunday to discuss availability for early October and received a lovely reply from "Elaine" part of The Bedruthan Hotel and Spa Reservations Team on that same day. How good is that, and following a conversation with her on the following Monday had no hesitation to book the room she recommended that would be suitable for the 3 of us.

And now the good part. We booked into reception and you could tell straight away that this was a proper "dog-friendly hotel." Water bowls were scattered at sensible positions around the hotel, the staff went out of their way to stroke Tilly and she revelled with all the fuss and attention being given. Our room was beautifully clean, no dog hairs anywhere but 2 dog bones, a proper quality dog bed, 2 feeding bowls and birthday card for my wife, were! These little touches made a big difference and straight away we were starting to relax, which was the prime reason for our visit.

Over the next few days, we could not have been made to feel more welcome in the Wild Cafe, and all our meals were excellent. The breakfasts were beautifully cooked to order on 2 days which is an excellent idea to reduce wastage. Although we liked all the waiting staff the social skills "Tina" and "Issie" had been truly brilliant and made you feel more like a friend on holiday visiting, rather than just another customer. Thank you, ladies, for doing such a good job.

Alas, the time went much too quickly and before we settled our bill and said goodbye, Tilly was having such a good time she attempted to drag me back to the hotel, so she must have had a good holiday.

To conclude not everybody like dogs but if they are well behaved, kept on a lead in the hotel and know which areas they are welcome in, then it's not a problem. Thank you, Elaine, for doing this when we arrived. Special thanks must go to the hotel management team who have set the benchmark for what a "proper dog-friendly hotel" should be like.

Thanks again to all involved and hopefully we will be able to return, same time next year to enjoy the wonderful Cornish hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Rachel C, House Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Tilly was an absolute delight just like her owners. Thank you for sending the video of her on Mawgan Porth beach, she was having such a jolly time and the photos of her in the room were just lovely. Our reception team are obsessed with dogs, Rosie, our reception supervisor, bought the special Cornish tartan ribbon that we tie around the Bonios and she put together the 'Dog's at Bedruthan guide' to make life easier for dog owners looking for a nice place to walk or dine with their faithful friends. I will make sure Elaine, Tina and Issie know how fabulous they are; they will be so pleased to have had a mention. Thank you for informing people how great we are with dogs, they really do brighten up our day so if this review makes more people bring their dogs then we will be a happy team. Come back soon.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Wanted to review after reading some negative reviews before we came......
Can't find fault. Not even one....and we are fussy!
Loved the relaxed feel and the very friendly staff.
Must try to have a sea view if at all possible, sitting watching the sunset was special.
The garden spa was great ,
Food ....... amazing , especially the Indonesia fish curry and the beef noodle dish.
I did comment that it might be the best meal I'd had !!!!
We had a 3 night stay with garden spa, lunch and an evening meal included....not cheap but well worth it.
Only my second review but felt compelled to write....

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Welcome to the Bedruthan family. Thank you for not being able to find fault - what a compliment. There is nothing better then watching a sunset; it sounds like you had an amazing stay with us. You've made me want to order the Indonesian fish curry! Come back soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My wife and I had a one week family holiday with our daughter,son in law and two grandchildren. We stayed in a double room with a fantastic sea view on a DBB basis. The hotel is trendy chilled and relaxed. There are two dining room choices one with a small supplement both of which are excellent. We absolutely loved the bay which is accessible from directly below the hotel. One word of caution you need to be fully mobile to take this route. Alternatively you can drive to the beach where there is a car park,toilets,pub, and shops including a small supermarket. It is very much a family hotel with lots of children. We had a great family holiday.

Room Tip: Need to book early for sea view rooms
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

It's so special when we have grandparents, parents and grandchildren staying with us and so lovely that all 3 generations can enjoy themselves equally. Thank you for informing our future guests about the access options to the beach and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I've been going here for a few years now with a group of local mummy friends for an annual one night spa break. We've always enjoyed it and look forward to it greatly. The staff are always a pleasure, spa facilities are great and the view is just amazing. Could look at that sea all day.

Just one slight disappointment this year... we've always eaten in The Herring but they've just started charging a supplement to eat there. £5 per adult and £10 for a child (which didn't matter to us on a child-free break, but crikey that seemed steep for a child's supplement!!). Anyway, with six of us ladies, we would have been paying a £30 supplement before we even sat down to order anything which we thought was pretty poor. The food isn't exactly cheap in this restaurant as it is, but we'd always really enjoyed it in the past and splashed out on three courses and copious wine. Given the supplement charge, we decided to dine in the Wild Cafe instead... which was okay... but I've eaten much better food elsewhere and it didn't top the night off in quite the same way. I'm really surprised to be honest that this sort of supplement has been introduced (particularly for children). It seems to really go against the grain for this hotel and its ethics. Real shame.

Apart from that, great stay. And the sensory spa garden is a must!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The positives:

We had a lovely, large sea view room with a fantastic view. The room was clean and well maintained with the usual toiletries, comfy robes and very effective heating in the bathroom.

The spa facilities were great. We had an hour in the newish spa garden which was very enjoyable despite the rain. The guy running it (possibly called Sam, young and bearded) was lovely. He definitely has the perfect relaxed vibe for a spa but kept everyone moving on to the next station without coming across as intrusive. Thumbs up for him.

The indoor spa facilities were lovely too. Nice steam room, large jacuzzi, nice relaxation area with stunning views.

The negatives:

Every single thing we ordered to eat had something wrong with it. It became a joke in the end!

We ate in the Wild Cafe as my husband fancied pizza. I ordered vegetable fritters to come out with the main of cheese soufflé with tomato concasse. We ordered drinks and water for the table. Simple enough you would think.

The fritters came out as a starter. They were pretty tasteless. The water didn’t turn up at all until we asked another waitress for it. My husband ordered no rocket on his pizza. It turned up with a mountain of the stuff. We ordered skinny fries and got chunky chips. My soufflé whilst perfectly tasty was not a soufflé. They obviously hadn’t risen and were very crispy on top so were served on a bed of potatoes with no tomato concasse. It wasn’t unpleasant just not what was on the menu.

Breakfast was a bit of a shambles. I ordered vegetarian sausages which I would expect to wait a while for but they took much longer than expected. For some reason instead of one serving of 2 sausages I was bought 3 servings of 2 sausages over the course of the meal! I kept 2 and returned 1. There was a queue for the buffet. They kept running out of items. When they did restock the food was tepid, particularly the beans.

A vintage fair was being hosted which we hadn’t realised would continue into the evening. There was music in a marquee right outside our window. It finished at 10.30 so that’s not too bad but I would have been extremely annoyed if we had our son with us as he wouldn’t have been able sleep. We really just wanted to have a few drinks together and relax given we are sleep deprived parents and i was really irritated by the music (I’m sure the band were great, this isn’t a criticism of them at all, we were just so looking forward to one night of peace and quiet).

After breakfast we went back up to the room intending just to relax a bit more before going for lunch. One of the maintenance people started using a drill in one of the nearby rooms. I appreciate things need fixing but when we have late check out this wasn’t what I wanted to hear. We gave up on the idea of lunch and checked out.

I did mention the noise to the girl on reception and she offered to get someone to talk to me but by that point I just wanted to make a move.

All in all, it wasn’t really what we were looking for in a relaxing night away. We live in Cornwall and often have little breaks away and we much preferred Retallack and st michaels to Bedruthan though the spa facilities here were better.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah E
Rachel C, House Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

I'm sorry you have left feeling this way, this really is the last thing we would ever want. We usually like to talk to guests before they leave so we can resolve any issues and guests leave feeling happy. I'm sorry that you were not informed of the vintage fair evening entertainment; I can understand how frustrating it must have been as sleep deprived parents not have had the relaxing time you needed. The time you spent at Bedruthan was not a true representation of the time you would usually. The experiences you had in the restaurant were certainly not our usual standards of service and I'm sorry that these happened. If you have the time and would like to have a chat with me about the issues you experienced then please contact me.
Thank you for mentioning the positives of your stay; in light of the disappointments you experienced it was very kind of you to do so; I will make sure Sam knows how fabulous he is.