1,442 results
All reviews herring restaurant soft play bedruthan steps family hotel kids club sea view the baby listening service cocktail bar sensory garden kids tea school holidays half term young children zip wire child friendly hotel play area evening entertainment
Reviewed 9 October 2017

My wife and I had a one week family holiday with our daughter,son in law and two grandchildren. We stayed in a double room with a fantastic sea view on a DBB basis. The hotel is trendy chilled and relaxed. There are two dining room choices one with a small supplement both of which are excellent. We absolutely loved the bay which is accessible from directly below the hotel. One word of caution you need to be fully mobile to take this route. Alternatively you can drive to the beach where there is a car park,toilets,pub, and shops including a small supermarket. It is very much a family hotel with lots of children. We had a great family holiday.

Room Tip: Need to book early for sea view rooms
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Rachel C, House Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

It's so special when we have grandparents, parents and grandchildren staying with us and so lovely that all 3 generations can enjoy themselves equally. Thank you for informing our future guests about the access options to the beach and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I've been going here for a few years now with a group of local mummy friends for an annual one night spa break. We've always enjoyed it and look forward to it greatly. The staff are always a pleasure, spa facilities are great and the view is just amazing. Could look at that sea all day.

Just one slight disappointment this year... we've always eaten in The Herring but they've just started charging a supplement to eat there. £5 per adult and £10 for a child (which didn't matter to us on a child-free break, but crikey that seemed steep for a child's supplement!!). Anyway, with six of us ladies, we would have been paying a £30 supplement before we even sat down to order anything which we thought was pretty poor. The food isn't exactly cheap in this restaurant as it is, but we'd always really enjoyed it in the past and splashed out on three courses and copious wine. Given the supplement charge, we decided to dine in the Wild Cafe instead... which was okay... but I've eaten much better food elsewhere and it didn't top the night off in quite the same way. I'm really surprised to be honest that this sort of supplement has been introduced (particularly for children). It seems to really go against the grain for this hotel and its ethics. Real shame.

Apart from that, great stay. And the sensory spa garden is a must!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The positives:

We had a lovely, large sea view room with a fantastic view. The room was clean and well maintained with the usual toiletries, comfy robes and very effective heating in the bathroom.

The spa facilities were great. We had an hour in the newish spa garden which was very enjoyable despite the rain. The guy running it (possibly called Sam, young and bearded) was lovely. He definitely has the perfect relaxed vibe for a spa but kept everyone moving on to the next station without coming across as intrusive. Thumbs up for him.

The indoor spa facilities were lovely too. Nice steam room, large jacuzzi, nice relaxation area with stunning views.

The negatives:

Every single thing we ordered to eat had something wrong with it. It became a joke in the end!

We ate in the Wild Cafe as my husband fancied pizza. I ordered vegetable fritters to come out with the main of cheese soufflé with tomato concasse. We ordered drinks and water for the table. Simple enough you would think.

The fritters came out as a starter. They were pretty tasteless. The water didn’t turn up at all until we asked another waitress for it. My husband ordered no rocket on his pizza. It turned up with a mountain of the stuff. We ordered skinny fries and got chunky chips. My soufflé whilst perfectly tasty was not a soufflé. They obviously hadn’t risen and were very crispy on top so were served on a bed of potatoes with no tomato concasse. It wasn’t unpleasant just not what was on the menu.

Breakfast was a bit of a shambles. I ordered vegetarian sausages which I would expect to wait a while for but they took much longer than expected. For some reason instead of one serving of 2 sausages I was bought 3 servings of 2 sausages over the course of the meal! I kept 2 and returned 1. There was a queue for the buffet. They kept running out of items. When they did restock the food was tepid, particularly the beans.

A vintage fair was being hosted which we hadn’t realised would continue into the evening. There was music in a marquee right outside our window. It finished at 10.30 so that’s not too bad but I would have been extremely annoyed if we had our son with us as he wouldn’t have been able sleep. We really just wanted to have a few drinks together and relax given we are sleep deprived parents and i was really irritated by the music (I’m sure the band were great, this isn’t a criticism of them at all, we were just so looking forward to one night of peace and quiet).

After breakfast we went back up to the room intending just to relax a bit more before going for lunch. One of the maintenance people started using a drill in one of the nearby rooms. I appreciate things need fixing but when we have late check out this wasn’t what I wanted to hear. We gave up on the idea of lunch and checked out.

I did mention the noise to the girl on reception and she offered to get someone to talk to me but by that point I just wanted to make a move.

All in all, it wasn’t really what we were looking for in a relaxing night away. We live in Cornwall and often have little breaks away and we much preferred Retallack and st michaels to Bedruthan though the spa facilities here were better.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah E
Rachel C, House Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

I'm sorry you have left feeling this way, this really is the last thing we would ever want. We usually like to talk to guests before they leave so we can resolve any issues and guests leave feeling happy. I'm sorry that you were not informed of the vintage fair evening entertainment; I can understand how frustrating it must have been as sleep deprived parents not have had the relaxing time you needed. The time you spent at Bedruthan was not a true representation of the time you would usually. The experiences you had in the restaurant were certainly not our usual standards of service and I'm sorry that these happened. If you have the time and would like to have a chat with me about the issues you experienced then please contact me.
Thank you for mentioning the positives of your stay; in light of the disappointments you experienced it was very kind of you to do so; I will make sure Sam knows how fabulous he is.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

My brother married his new wife just a few weeks ago and the Bedruthan Hotel and Spa handled it brilliantly from start to finish. Every request was met as much as possible and it made for just the most perfect day for my brother, his new wife and our family and friends. The room that was booked initially for the ceremony was changed as it wasn't what the couple were hoping for, yet the staff accommodated their wishes easily and confidently. There was frequent contact with the couple to ensure everything was as they wanted, which we thought was such wonderful service. It is the most beautiful setting, the views are magnificent and every member of staff was very friendly and really made the day.
We returned to the hotel for drinks later in the week and couldn't fault it, lovely bubbly atmosphere, great staff and beautiful decor all the way through. We were also allowed to have a look at the restaurant and were sad that they were fully booked that evening, but full credit to them, they made a very special day even more special for us and we will make a point of returning next year when we return to Cornwall.
Some of the wedding guests were guests at the hotel and said they would thoroughly recommend it.
It was the perfect wedding venue but I believe it would be the perfect place whether you are going for evening drinks, a meal out, weekend away or something more formal.

Thank you very much to Ashley and her team, you're a real credit to the hotel, and to the hospitality industry/wedding planning industry.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

It was such an amazing wedding, I can't wait to see the photographs. All the guests were a delight and the bride looked absolutely beautiful. Thank you for recommending us for any occasion, it was really sweet of you to do so and shows just how much you love Bedruthan. Ashley is like a ray of sunshine that brightens up everyone's day and we are so lucky to have her as part of the team; thank you for giving her the credit she deserves; she will be delighted! We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Actually this review may say more about us than the hotel - I think we may be on the wrong side of yummy mumminess and bearded media guru to really appreciate this hotel - as there is not a lot to dislike about the place.
Yes, as another reviewer mentioned there are a lot of kids ( including our two) but then we went in the summer holidays and it is advertised as a family friendly hotel so not really a surprise - probably better geared up for younger children than older ones. We only stayed two nights and didn't have a huge amount of time to explore but kids reported outdoor pool was cold, playroom was good, and flat garlic bread amazing. We had a family sea view room which was large enough for us all, a litte worn around the edges, great big picture windows overlooking lovely views and a small and needing to be updated bathroom.
The place is quite higgedly -piggedly with loads of nooks and crannies, nice squashy -sofa-ed public rooms and areas to sit outside but for some reason it felt a little claustrophobic and hemmed in. Staff were friendly but I was disappointed with level of interest/service when our daughter was sick one night and I left the (covered) bin outside the room to be collected and asked for some clean pillow covers. No-one came so my husband finally took it down - no -one asked how she was the next day either.
Anyway, for whatever reason we didn't find the hotel to be as we thought it would be - not because anything was particularly wrong but because we ( and the kids) just didn't have the sort of time we thought we might have. Could be expectations were too high or that we came from staying at the Carlyon Bay hotel where we did have a very enjoyable visit - slightly more old fashioned but with superb facilities and much more room. But like I said - we may just be getting old!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms second floor
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank meljaLondon
Rachel C, House Manager at Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

What a shame you didn't feel the Bedruthan magic. The Carlyon Bay is a wonderful hotel; we are so different though so it could be down to personal preference. We certainly have more of a modern retro vibe and I can understand how the 1960's building appears to have many nooks and crannies; we utilise all these spaces to create innovative and unique public areas a lot of which are very large also. I'm so sorry that no one came to help when you reported your daughter's sickness, I believe a mistake must have happened with the communication process because we have a ridged procedure that we follow whenever anyone is sick which includes the Duty manager always checking on the family the next morning; I'm so sorry this did not happen during your stay. Thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff.