All reviews the pub eggs benedict coffee maker modern bathroom mini bar night porter full english rugby weekend booked this hotel lovely hotel beer garden breakfast service ironing board breakfast was excellent bus stop pleasant stay the ground floor
Reviewed 22 March 2018

It was the Monday evening after the rugby. Maybe that was the reason but they had run out of Youngs beer, sadly this was the only reason we booked our meal there. !! It was a birthday treat for a family member who enjoys a pint of Youngs. We were ignored for 20 minutes when we sat down at our table. Menus were being printed ( strange for 1930 in the evening) so no menus to show us. Many of the meals were also unavailable. Thank god they had fish and chips left as that is what we ended up having. Left early and went to another pub which did have Youngs. What a big disappointment all round.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Alexanderpope H, Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Dear tinajstrand,
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. I believe we had Young's special racked and tapped but just not ready for sale yet. We did have Young's bitter as an alternative so I do hope you were offered this. Its unfortunate that we didn't have our full menu available but we also had an issue with our daily suppliers delivery. I can only assume the menu was being reprinted with the limited options rather than offering our customers a full menu which was very much out of stock. Sorry once again for spoilt experience and I hope we can welcome you in the future in the hope we can restore your faith in the Alexander Pope hotel.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

It was rugby super Saturday and St Patrick’s day the pub was very busy and the staff stretched. I was with a group of friends and bought a round of drinks. This Young’s pub is NOT cheap I know as a local but I was flabbergasted when the bar person told me my bill was £140 pounds I queried it but she insisted on payment of said round and on scrutinisation of the itemised bill I found I had been charged for 6 pints of Heineken and a vodka and coke which had not been ordered. I demanded a refund for the additional charge which I got but this is a pub where you can order the same drinks on a regular basis and be charged differing amounts. My advice to all is always ask for the receipt and double check what you are being billed for. Young’s I was not impressed you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Barrisally,
Thank you or your review. I believe our bar team made a mistake with the bill which was quickly rectified & a full refund was provided. I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused but would like to offer you the reassurance that our prices do not change on a regular basis. We update our prices once per year inline with VAT. I do hope this mistake doesn't deter you from returning to the Alexander Pope Hotel.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Last night I was in The Alexander Pope with my two kids and a friend. We had a meal that was OK then got a cheeseboard that was pathetic. They didn’t charge me and rightly so. Then I went to the bar for a couple of drinks. A fella at the bar made some racist comments about my mate. I heard him and had a go at him. I asked the lad serving what he was going to do about it, apparently he was going to do nothing.
I asked to see the manager, she came over and told me that the racist bloke was ‘a nice fella, and he’s never done anything like that before’ (sure!).
I asked her what she was going to do about it. She said ‘the bloke was going to leave when he finished his drink’, as it was now after last orders I had presumed this to be the case.

So the racist fella just sat there chatting and laughing with his mates. The manager did nothing.

I would be interested to know what ‘Young’s policy’ is on racist abuse of customers. I expect it would say something about zero tolerance, rather than ‘we ignore it’.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulrhgte

Dear paulrhgte,

I am sorry that you felt your meal was just ok and you didn't enjoy the cheeseboard. Its very unfortunate that a member of public was racist towards someone in your party and I would like to reassure you that nor Young's or The Alexander Pope staff condones this type of behaviour in anyway.

I have spoken with the bar staff and management on shift and both were unaware of any racist abuse taking place on the premises but were aware of the argument that broke out between you both. Following on from the argument our management team took the decision close the bar early & ask the member of the public whom you made the accusation against to leave immediately which was the case.

I am sorry once again and hope that pending my response you feel the situation was dealt with in the appropriate manor.

Should you wish to discuss this further please do so by calling myself on 0208 892 3050

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We stayed here as we were attending a family funeral. Our room was ready even though we were early, it was clean comfortable and well equipped. All staff were attentive and helpful especially those at reception. We hope to return in happier circumstances.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joan G
Alexanderpope H, General Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Hi Joan,
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope to see you again under happier circumstances too.
Robin.

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple and what a lovely place to stay. It is decorated so stylishly and very comfortable. The bathroom was very modern and the room spacious. We ordered breakfast to the room and there was some confusion over us ordering or not so it ended up being half an hour late. In my opinion, this in bedroom service doesn’t need to be an option if it can’t be managed right. The bar is great though. I’d stay again!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Alexanderpope H, General Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Hi There,
Thanks for the kind review, we appreciate the positive feedback. With regard to the room service I would appreciate it if you contact me at the hotel so I can understand what went wrong.
Robin.