“2 night break”
Review of Monarch Hotel

Monarch Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bridlington
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here two nights beginning of August. Didn't really know what to expect as I had been struggling to find somewhere affordable and that would allow my dog to stay. I wasn't bothered about luxury, more about position and my dog. On arrival was greeted at reception with a very happy smiley lady and equally happy smiley manager, Darren. I paid for my stay and an extra £10 for my dog for the two day stay. Lovely bright reception area with beautiful chairs, which was very popular with residents to sit whilst waiting for pickups and a big lounge where a few residents sat with friends. I asked for an upper floor room if possible and that is what I got. I haven't stayed in a single room for years and expected a pokey small room with very little room to walk round the bed. It was a great room (no 28) I had an en-suite bathroom which was modern and immaculate. A small guest bar of soap and a plastic drinking cup and was provided with spotless white towels. Bath towel of a brilliant size that wraps right round you and piping hot water. I was delighted to find I had a sea view from the side of the hotel looking over The Spa. I also had a small balcony, unfortunately, I wasn't allowed access onto it as the height of the wall doesn't fit with modern health and safety regulations but it still gave me extra light and view. There are rooms at the front of the hotel with balconies that you can walk out onto with chairs and a table which must be fantastic as they are looking straight onto the sand and sea. Bedding all spotlessly clean and I had tea and coffee making facilities, a small flat screen tv and a very comfy leather armchair and a wardrobe and plenty drawers with a hairdryer and iron and ironing board. The mattress was pretty soft and creaky and not very supportive but I still slept well. I chose room only option but you could purchase breakfast which was £6 and sounded substantial. The restaurant is on the second floor so fantastic views overlooking the beach and very bright and smart. I was surprised to see all staff dressed very smartly in black and white. The same staff seem to man reception and the restaurant and every one of them was friendly and chatty especially youngish dark haired guy, Dave? He loved my dog and fussed her and had a bit of banter. I ate out the first night but second night ate in the restaurant and my friends from another placed joined me. The food was just ok really but for the price of £8 you really couldn't moan. Not huge portions, but I think for the majority of residents it would be perfect as they are mostly in their 60s and over. We didn't go in the bar as the dog wasn't allowed so we went to pubs in the town where she was welcome. I had to disturb the manager twice from the restaurant to retrieve my key from reception and locate a spare as I had 'lost' my key the second night. He didn't tut or raise his eyes as I would have expected but ran down and up for me on both occasions with a smile. I found the key next morning in my car! I loved my stay here and would have awarded 5 stars but didn't eat breakfast, dog wasn't allowed in the bar which would have been nice as there was entertainment on and I would rather pay a bit more for an evening meal and have a bigger portion and a bit better quality. I'm sure the majority of residents loved the food as they were older. Overall a fabulous stay, the staff and position made it for me. I would definitely stay again and my friends who had booked other b&bs would stay too as for the few pounds extra I paid, it was well worth it for the location. Thank you to ALL staff. Keep up the good work!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Monarch Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Absolutely brilliant staff, very friendly and professional. Very accommodating.
Hotel very clean and modern.
Will definitely be staying here again.
Highly recommend to anyone, whether it be for business or just a mini-break with the family.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms
1  Thank lukebw1990
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed over for one night and honestly couldn't find fault with it at all!! All the staff are very helpful, polite and friendly. We had the breakfast in the morning and again it was faultless. Very tasty sausages, I cleaned my plate and could of eaten it again. We slept soundly to say it was so close to the beach I thought seagulls might have been a problem but we heard nothing. The room was nice and clean. We had a sea view and waking up to see the beach was brilliant. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank siphoenix
Reviewed 19 July 2017

My sister and I took our elderly mother away for the weekend. We booked the family room, which we were told on the booking had a double bed and two singles. We booked this hotel as it was a good location and had a lift as our mother has health and mobility problems and uses a wheelchair.

When we arrived to check in (on Friday) we were informed that the lift was broken and wouldn't be repaired until Monday. Our room was on the third floor! We managed to get our mother up to the room however she needed to lay down for over an hour after the struggle up three flights of stairs. We also found that the room was not as booked and only had a double and one single bed. The room was clean but very tired looking and in need of refurbishment. We would have made do with the room if it wasn't for the lift being broken.

I went to reception to raise my concerns about the room booking and the lift situation and although the woman on reception tried to be helpful, she was quite defensive and kept saying it wasn't her fault. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that he wasn't in work.

We were eventually offered a ground floor room in a B & B around the corner. The woman on reception helped to carry our bags over which was good of her.

Other people who were at the hotel were complaining about the lift and we were told it had broken the previous week and staff were moving guests to other hotels/B&Bs.

Good location but definitely needs a refurbishment!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Dirty, dusty, dated, noisy room on the 4th floor with no lift, poor service, mouldy toast! Paid a cleaning charge for the dogs who were cleaner than the room. If it was the last hotel left in Bridlington we would not return.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple