“RSPB boat cruise”

The Yorkshire Belle
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was hard to know where best to review this as the bird cruise is quite distinct from the clifftop experience at RSPB Bempton Cliffs. But the boat is the Yorkshire Belle.

We've wanted to do this trip for quite some time but the timings were awkward without overnight accommodation and the booking arrangements complicated. Thankfully this year, there was a very straightforward online booking system accessed via the RSPB site, and we booked in at the new Premier Inn in Bridlington.

Our early evening trip was superb. I would recommend taking binoculars, although there are some available to borrow. Do take the guidance on having warm and waterproof clothing to hand seriously. I would also urge the use of sunscreen - I burned, despite half the trip being in very heavy and unforecast rain. It was handy to have a bar to buy basic drinks and snacks and for the less hardy to retreat to out of the rain. Our trip was well supplied with volunteers who enhanced the trip in all sorts of ways (eg showing us different types of eggs) and the fact that one of the seabird researchers thought it was worth coming says much for the quality of the experience. The commentary was excellent and meant we saw and identified more than we otherwise would have. The balance of exposition to leaving passengers to appreciate the experience for themselves was spot on. We were able to get close to the cliffs and we gained a new appreciation for the work at RSPB Bempton Cliffs seeing how 'precarious' the new viewing points are on the clifftop.

You do not need to be particularly interested in birds to appreciate the trip - the scenery is glorious and you get views and perspectives not otherwise available, such as the folds in the rock and the many, many sea caves. There are other watercraft about to see too.

All reviews
"crisps"
in 4 reviews
"hot and cold drinks"

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

We took the usual holiday trip out on the "Yorky Belle" . This time it was the 1 1/2hr trip around the Headland to the home of the seabirds. Just the right amount of swell to be interesting but comfortable. I've done this cruise that many times I could probably do the commentary lol.
Always made welcome and staff first class helping the not so agile. Welcome n keep up the great work.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

The 1.5 hour trip was the perfect length of time. Whilst not an rspb tour the guide on the boat pointed out plenty of birds including puffins which is what we wanted to see. The boat goes from the corner of the north bay harbour. You can’t pre book tickets so get there early. It’s chilly out on the water even in sunshine. Wonderful way to see the cliffs and birds from a different perspective.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Knowing in advance before we visited Bridlington for the day that we wanted to take the Sea Bird Cruise I never found the answers I was looking for on Belles website so I called. The information I was given on the phone that the Belle would be sailing for an hour and a half at 1.30 for £8 each turned out when we got there all to be incorrect. The only sailing was 2.15 for 2 and a quarter hours for £13 each. However, this didn't deter us if anything I wouldn't recommend anything less than 2 and a quarter hours as it wouldn't be possible to reach all the nesting sea birds that we saw today, 500,000 according to the Captain. We reached as far as Bampton Cliffs where gannets were nesting previous to that we saw nesting gilly mots and seaguls. The highlight of the trip for me was my first time ever to see puffins only about 8 in comparrison to the masses of other birds but regardless I was delighted to see them at all. Apart from all the birds the coastal landscape at Flamborough and Bampton cliffs with the variety of caves that can only be seen from the sea are fairly spectacular and the rocks that fishermen have nicknamed Elephant Rocks.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Just had the pleasure of doing the rspb puffin and gannet cruise on the Yorkshire belle. Been looking forward to this since I booked it in Feb.on arrival to the harbour it was looking like we might not be going as you couldn't see much looking across the way we was heading.but we boarded and the skipper said he was happy to start the route hoping it would change round the cliff corner,,started off obviously foggy and not much to see but a bit further out it started clearing and we were spotting seabirds Then a bit more fog still we were getting great commentary from the rspb chap over the tannoy pointing birds out and generally been positive it would clear,the as if by magic we got near bempton cliffs and it was as clear as day.the boat even stops so you can take pictures of everything around you on the cliffs in the sea or flying over they then spin the boat round so the other side can see so no need to panic..after a great 2 hrs of seabird spotting it was time to head back and low and behold it was still foggy in Bridlington,,on a hole I really enjoyed this trip and would recommend to anybody the only thing is you never know what the British weather will throw at you,,well done Yorkshire belle staff and rspb volunteers