“The ultimate comfort eating”

Remember When Wirral
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in New Brighton
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Remember When is an 'Old Fashioned' tea room that will transport anyone back to their grandma's living room. At Remember When we make sure we succeed in making the atmosphere soothing and comfortable for all. ALL of our products, like cakes, pastries, scones plus much more are all home-baked by our resident baker and baked on the premises throughout the week. At Remember When we also have many collectables and antiques that are available to purchase or even browse through whilst enjoying one of our many loose leaf tea or coffees. So why not pop in for a tea or a scone or just simply a chat wiht some of our regular customers! We look forward to seeing you soon. Lesley Ellis (Owner)
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

What an absolute gem! Walked into the cafe which is a throw back to yester year. Tables covered in table cloths and a mismatch of bone china wear. Proper tea in a teapot with sieve, gorgeous milk jugs and sugar pots. Olde world decor and lots to reminisce about whilst waiting to be served by the friendly staff. We opted for jacket potato with tuna, mayo and salad. The potatoes were the creamiest that I have ever tasted and that was without butter and they had been oven cooked as they had lovely crispy skin. There was afternoon tea, delicious looking cakes, quiches and lots of other goodies on view.... I wanted everything but settled for an amazing gigantic lemon meringue. It came with masses of aerosol cream and pouring cream which, considering it was filled with cream was over-kill but it tasted chewy, gooey and crisp exactly how a good meringue should.
The cafe is extremely busy so I would say booking is a must as there are only about 12 tables but once you've tried it I am certain that you will be returning again and again.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Just I Love the place !!!! They have good food ( all fresh) must try cakes...DELICIOUS . Cosy place with lovely menu, vintage decor, lovely and friendly staff. Good prices.Dog friendly outside on the little terrace.I can't wait to go back for a fresh cup of tea and cakes.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Our 2nd time here in the last 6 months and again we had a lovely time. We had 3 afternoon teas and my 4 year old had a child's afternoon tea. Food as fresh and homemade and staff are so welcoming and friendly. Can't reccomend enough. We will definitely be back soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

My mum and I visited mid-week during the school holidays. The place was busy, but we did manage to get a seat with another couple.

As always, the cakes were delicious that we chose(we've been many times) ... but the service was very very slow... there was something different that I just couldn't put my finger on.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Towards the end of the school summer holidays, my wife and 10 year old daughter went for a day out to New Brighton, along with two other Mums and their daughters. When they came home that evening, they were incredibly excited about an old fashioned cafe called "Remember When" which they had stumbled upon and had all visited for lunch.

They were particularly impressed at how well the staff had looked after 3 little girls who were sat at their own table whilst their 3 mums sat at another table. They said that the menu had good choice and the food was good, the place was clean, the service was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly. The mums and girls had not been rushed and were made to feel very welcome. All this and old fashioned decor as well - I felt as if I'd missed out!

A few days later...and purely by coincidence...I was out with our 10 year old daughter when by chance...we too stumbled upon an old fashioned cafe in New Brighton called "Remember When". My daughter said "Dad, this is the cafe we came to with my friends, where the ladies were really nice and looked after us well". It was around 3pm so we decided to go in for a late lunch - my daughter needed no persuading and I was intrigued to find out if the claims I'd heard earlier in the week were accurate.

We were greeted pleasantly and a nice table for 2 in the window was quickly made ready for us. Once seated, it was at this point that the place began to work its magic on me. This was the first chance I'd had to look around the interesting interior and properly take in the pleasant old fashioned decor which punctuated its way through the 20th C. It was certainly something to behold and made more atmospheric by the use of furniture from the period, as well as all of the crockery used being mismatched china which has a certain charm of its own.

Our waitress came to take our order and I could instantly tell why my daughter had said about the ladies there had looked after them so well earlier in the week. It appeared to me that all of the staff I saw were not just doing a job, it came across strongly that they enjoyed what they do - and this was readily transmitted to their customers. Shortly after our order was taken, our food arrived which was very tasty and well presented. I liked the little touches like an old fashioned China pot for one with loose leaf tea and a tea strainer - rare in this day and age - but clearly not in the era of memorabilia! Indeed, I commented to our waitress that I had been explaining to my daughter about tea strainers having been used pre-teabags and I took the lid off the drained teapot to show her the loose leaves in the bottom of the pot - at which point our waitress offered to get me some extra hot water for my pot so I could have an extra cup of tea - with the reassuring words of "go on, it's what we do here, you're one of us now!"

Everything had been splendid - and then I was tempted to have some cake afterwards. I had the difficult task of selecting from a wide array of home baked desserts which were proudly on display in a glass cabinet - I plumped for the mandarin cake which came with a small jug of pouring cream. As if things hadn't already gone well enough, they became even better once I began my cake - the buttercream was to die for and it really did put the finishing touches to what had been a hugely enjoyable and quite unexpected visit.

Whilst this might have been my first visit to "Remember When", it certainly won't be my last - after all - in the words of our waitress, "I'm one of them now!"