All reviews lovely site savernake forest busy weekend beautiful area friendly welcome one night on arrival caravan footpath debbie facilities swindon
Reviewed 6 September 2017

After 12 years visiting this site twice a year, NEVER AGAIN! The current management are jumped up Jobsworths. As for the "facilities" they ought to be condemned under Health and Safety regulations. I know I put up with them for 12 years but that was under Two VERY PLEASANT managers who I got to know personally. There are NO disabled facilities and the TRICKLE of lukewarm water is a joke for an organisation that purports to be "Friendly". So, sadly, never again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Very friendly welcome. Nice site with nobody too close to each other.

People everywhere were very friendly and a great atmosphere on the site.

Only let down is the lack of facilities, particularly showers.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2017

As others have noted, this seems primarily a site for caravans/motorhomes. When I arrived in the evening it seemed a bit deserted - either lots of the caravans/motorhomes had just been left there or their owners were inside. I arrived on foot and it wasn't clear where to check in. The person who was at reception seemed bemused/surprised that I was backpacking (although the site is the nearest to part of the Ridgeway in Ogbourne St George) and didn't have any information about local buses. The lack of designated areas makes it a bit of a free-for-all with kids playing football in amongst the tents. My tent was used as a goal post by one family who behaved like they were the only ones on site. I guess it could offer peace and quiet if you are in a caravan or motorhome, but I felt like I was in the wrong place as a backpacker. I camp often and most families are good at balancing letting loose and enjoying themselves with respecting other campers, but for parents who find managing this harder, or who don't see the need, designated play/football areas are good. I know pitching next to 'the noisy family' is a bit luck of the draw and they have their right to fun, but it didn't feel like this was the sort of site where respectful behaviour was encouraged by the set-up. I slept well because I brought ear plugs and drank some cider and felt glad to be getting up early the next morning before noisy family awoke. I agree with other comments about facilities. I paid half the price the next night and there were plenty of toilets and showers, much more space, and much friendlier fellow campers.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Emily F
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stayed at Postern Hill for Fri/Sat night camping, sadly on the first rainy weekend of July. The grass coped pretty well but got a bit boggy in places. The forest is beautiful for walking and family picnics - the dog loved it. Staff were very friendly and helpful. I was very surprised that such a large and busy camping site had no shower facilities and the toilets were pretty small (and a bit grubby). That was the only real talking point at the dishwashing station. No onsite shop or clubhouse either. It was lovely and peaceful though and we will go back again as it's so close to home in Swindon and our dog loves the off-lead runs in the forest. We'll probably stay for one night only though - there's only so long one can sleep outdoors without a shower!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2017

First impressions of this site are just WOW! The forest is amazing. We arrived and expected the usual saga we get on arrival `your wheels need to be inline with.... no a bit more to the left....etc` Not a it of it Deborah and Dave are brilliant we were met told to have a lovely walk around, the office would be opened shortly we could pitch amongst the trees or on the grass. It really was beautiful both the forest and the welcome. Toilets and hand basins on site clean and tidy, no showers, well it is a forest, but if you need showers there is an agreement with the local leisure centre. Washing up area always clean and tidy the whole site is clean and tidy the wardens work on their days off litter picking (yes we saw you) they also do regular patrols around site, our car broke down and Dave told us that there were no lights left on as they had patrolled the previous night and would have seen them. We had lots of chats with Deborah and Dave and would not have known about the history of the site, the forest or the area and good places to visit without their vast local knowledge. The forest is beautiful the picnic areas (there are lots to choose from) are lovely for BBQ or picnics and the dog walking is fabulous our dog hid his lead he was shattered lol. Really lovely place, Marlborough and the surrounding areas are very picturesque well worth the visit. This is the best campsite we have been to we extended our stay and will be visiting again as soon as we can. Big thank you to both Deborah & Dave we loved our stay. Lasting impression WOW WOW WOW!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family