All reviews oldest hotel malmesbury abbey lovely old hotel night porter steeped in history coffee maker old building public rooms the main house beautiful building full english scones single room well worth a visit bed was very comfortable the ground floor following morning
Reviewed 9 September 2018

We booked this stay only a few days before we went, and were pleased to be accommodated at such short notice. Arriving, we were able to park in the convenient guests' parking behind the hotel. The hotel is in a lovely position, just next to Malmesbury Abbey, and ideally placed for an evening stroll around this old market town, seeing the abbey floodlit, a delightful sight. Our check in experience was polite and quite prompt, though noise from a tipsy group in a nearby lounge was rather off putting, but not the hotel's fault. We had been told that our room would be a 'cosy room', the lowest category of doubles, but it wasn't all that small, and was nicely equipped, though the bathroom was small, and there were no armchairs. However, downstairs there was plenty of seating in several interconnecting bar/lounge areas. While we were sitting downstairs in the evening, a waiter came round pleasantly asking if we needed any drinks, but not pushily. It was quite noisy, with a loud group laughing and talking, but as it was a Saturday evening, I suppose this isn't unexpected! There was also some background music, so it was difficult to hold a conversation. We slept well, and the breakfast was very tasty and enjoyable, the highlight of the visit. It was cold in our room when we arrived, and when I mentioned this at reception I was offered a heater, which was good. However, we were just going out, so I didn't bother. Had we been staying longer, I would have taken advantage of this offer. Staff were very obliging, and I was impressed that on checking out, the receptionist made a note of a couple of suggestions I made. This hotel clearly has a role as a local meeting place as well as a residential hotel, with the pluses and minuses this involves.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
oldbellhotel, General Manager at The Old Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Dear Millie024,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your recent visit at the Old Bell Hotel. We are pleased that your overall stay with us was to your satisfactions but I have taken note of our music being slightly too loud in our lounges. I shall discuss with the team.

Once again, thank you for all your comments and we look forward to welcome you back very soon again

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

The Old Bell is steeped in history. It stands next to Malmesbury Abbey and was originally built in 1220 to house visitors to the abbey. The building has obviously been massively extended and refurbished since then.

My room was classically modern, beautifully clean and spacious. It also had all mod-cons. Nespresso machine, tea and coffee facilities, iron and a huge flat screen tv. The beds were comfortable with lovely pristine high tread count sheets. I don’t usually sleep well in hotel beds so these beds must be exceptional - my sleep was blissful. There is an extensive variety of lighting and lovely touches like fresh baked cookies to welcome you and complementary towelling dressing gowns.

The en-suite bathroom is small but well equipped and scrupulously clean. My tinniest quibble is the cupboard under the sink which is huge and unnecessary - if it was removed there would be more floor space.

The room service breakfast was delicious and arrived in record time - the fastest room service delivery in the West.

All the staff are charming, kind, informed, efficient, welcoming and professional - outstanding service. Reception is manned 24 hours.

I had a wonderful stay. All the other guests I spoke to loved it. If business takes me to this part of England again I would always stay here.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Dear BeeteeEm,

Thank you so very much for your compliments which I have shared with the team. I have taken note of your comment in the room which I will discuss with our maintenance team.

We look forward to welcome you back very soon again

Reviewed 8 September 2018

Very happy with my stay - I found a good deal on a single room which was well proportioned, and found the staff, service and quality of accommodation to be of very high standard. Would recommend. Beautiful building.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business

Dear e9naro,

Thank you so much for your great review which has been shared with the rest of the team. We take pride in delivering friendly, genuine hosting while making sure that the Hotel is kept to high standards of cleaning and general products.

We thank you for taking the time to write to us and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back very soon again

Reviewed 3 September 2018

The character of the building and the attentiveness of the staff make this a perfect hotel for a quiet, relaxing break. Its location also makes it ideal for touring the Cotswolds or even Bath and Bristol in the knowledge you can end the day in the excellent restaurant and rest in the very comfortable and spotless bedrooms.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
oldbellhotel, General Manager at The Old Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Dear Graham W,

Thank you very much for your lovely review which I have shared with the rest of the team. We are very pleased that your stay with us was to your satisfactions and we very much look forward to welcome you back very soon again.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Enjoyed our meals very much; had options for vegans, food cooked very nicely, lovely wine, breakfast also superb. Disappointed that the 'character room' booked was not as described on website (it was a very plain room, not like the photo. No fridge or bath)

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
oldbellhotel, General Manager at The Old Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Dear Strider2015,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us. We are delighted to read that some aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction, however, we are sorry to read that that you felt mislead when booking with us. All 5 Character Rooms in the main house are all very different in style and arrangements. I am sorry that the one allocated to you was not to your expectations and we shall indeed review our descriptions and amend where necessary.