“quaint hotel”

The Antrobus Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amesbury
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I cannot praise this hotel enough...I chose this hotel through recommendations of some friends who had booked the hotel with a groupon special deal. Despite being greeted by ominous signs of "apologies for the inconvenienced caused during renovations," my family and I had a lovely time. There were no noise intrusion. The rooms were clean,large and warm and comfortably accomodated a family of 4. (2 adults + 2kids). The television had free view which had everything my kids were interested in, and the bathroom was fully equipt with bath gel etc. Breakfast was wonderful and the menu selection was extensive. Our kids who are fussy eaters loved everything put before them. Compliments to the chef.. We stayed there 4 nights and took in all the sights around Salisbury. If I were to go to Salisbury again, I would not hesitate staying at the Antrobus Arms. It is a lovely hotel that is being updated with friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank liza n
antrobusarms, General Manager at The Antrobus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to register your comments and review of our hotel. Our ongoing refurbishment will undoubtably re-establish the Antrobus's rightful place as the premier Amesbury hotel. We have excellent staff, committed to helping strengthen the hotels reputation...and our Head Chef works extremely hard to find the right menu choices to satisfy all tastes. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just recently got back from staying at The Antrobus again... Stayed there last November and had a great time but this time WOW!!... I could see the transformation of the rooms and public spaces.. It really looks good. Food again, I could not fault. This is def. a hotel I would come back to every time I hv business in Salisbury/Amsbery.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 2. Lovely...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank alfie h

Thank you for your kind and accurate comments....we will continue to transform the hotel to acheive its proper status despite the comments and reviews of the....shall we say....biased!!!

Reviewed 2 March 2012

This is my second visit to the Antrobus and I can confirm its getting better. Was checked into room 2 by a very pleasant girl. Room 2 is a twin room on the first floor, all the doubles were full. The room had a nice new bathroom and I enjoyed a very comfortable sleep. I can confirm that the wifi is now working and at a fast speed.... Best of all it's free.....now the real reason for this second review... The food... Ordered smooked haddock for dinner it was absolute out of this world, came with spinach and a poached egg..... Wish I could get food like this in London... Breakfast was also very good... Thank you Antrobus and bravo to the chef...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind comments....Steve, our Head Chef, has been workng very hard to source and prepare dishes based on local suppliers and he is to be commended. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Arriving at the hotel I was greeted by signs apologising for inconvenience caused during renovations. My first impression was the musty smell of this clearly very aged hotel. A friendly receptionist have me my room key and directed me to park on a pay and display car park across the road.

I carried my bags up the threadbare creaky staircase to my room, opened the door and couldn't believe my eyes, maybe the smallest hotel room I have ever seen, with a small single bed shoehorned into an alcove. No room for a wardrobe or chest of drawers, no place to put my bags and certainly nowhere to hang clothes. So, back down stairs to complain. The receptionists had a chat about the tiny rooms, apparently my room, 18 wasn't the smallest in the hotel! However, I was moved to another room.

I am assuming that seeing as how the new room was in the middle of workmen, power tools and blaring radios that it was either renovated or on the process of being renovated. Looking at the room it was difficult to tell, although it had been painted and had a new bathroom fitted. Unfortunately the renovations haven't stretched to new carpet, furniture or heating, the room was freezing. There was a small electric panel heater in the bedroom but none in the bathroom which was like an ice box. I was forced to sit in the bar next to a calor gas heater to stop shivering, which also had the benefit of being able to pick up the very intermittent wifi which was available nowhere else in the hotel.

Eventually plucking up the courage to go back to the room and watch the crackly terrestrial tv, has freeview not reached here yet? Morning brought no improvement, I braved the freezing bathroom only to find there was barely a dribble of lukewarm water and no shampoo or shower gel provided. I hurried downstairs to breakfast only to be greeted by the cook who had no keys to the kitchen and so couldn't make breakfast. I was surprised to find that there is no one on duty overnight in the hotel, I guess if there is a fire the guests have to look after themselves.

I have no problem in staying in old hotels with character, but I do expect them to have basic comforts like warmth and water. Above all I expect them to be safe and I do not believe the Antrobus is safe in the way that it currently operates.

My advice, do not stay in this awful hotel.

Room Tip: I don't belive there are any good rooms, but room 18 is tiny.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank TheRubester
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I have written a review of this location before entitled "Better than the George". That remains true I am sure.

The location is good for Stonehenge, a stop off for the west country, Salisbury .....

The staff are relaxed and positive, welcoming and efficient.

Food is good, both in the evening and at breakfast.

I had room 20 on my last visit. In the 60's the Beatles stayed when filming "Help" on Salisbury Plain. Room 20 is a monument to the Fab 4. It was a little cool on entry but that was resolved, The multitude of articles etc. were great fun. The bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was pretty small but plenty large enough for me.

Would I be happy to stay there again ? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Room 20. Enough said ?
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
antrobusarms, General Manager at The Antrobus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. Its sometimes hard to believe that room 20, after 45 years is still a worldwide attraction to guests wishing to stay where the Beatles stayed. Such is the contribution the Beatles played and continue to play to music. And the answer to your first question is Yes! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
0.8 km away
11.7 km away
Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel
11.5 km away
Best Western Red Lion Hotel

Been to The Antrobus Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK