New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amesbury
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“GROUPON NIGHT AWAY”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

We have just got back from a groupon night away in this hotel. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The room was ok and for the price i would not have expected anything better. They are in the process of renovating the hotel and from what we could see they are doing a really good job. The food was amazing and i would highly recommed to stop off and try the a la carte menu. I woudl definitetly stay again.

Room Tip: ask for one of the rooms that has already been renovated.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
antrobusarms, Manager at The Antrobus Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, during this period of refurbishment the hotel is continuing to operate as near normal as possible, We look forward to welcoming you back.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We arrived and parked on the pay and display car park opposite.The receptionist was dressed in a shabby jumper and her hair needed a good wash.She was installed in what I can only describe as a converted broom cupboard.
She gave us a room key and pointed to the staircase(may I add that my hubby is disabled but no offer to carry our bag was made)
We opened the door to the room and to our horror there was an unmade bed,dirty towels scattered on the floor and general disarray.
I returned to the broom cupboard and informed the receptionist she stated that she would check the room and I replied that there was no need as I wasn't lying.She gave me another key after I asked to speak to the Manager and she replied that he wasn't available.
We went to the room only to discover dried blood and some other undetectable stain on the bedcover.The room was also very dusty and when I drew back the sheets I was greeted by a large spider.
We went out almost immediately.
The next morning at "breakfast" if you can call it that, no offer of toast (you shouldn't have to ask but we would have had a job anyway as there was no one around) cold coffee dreadful

We would have mentioned this to the Manager but as we couldn't find anyone at all on our departure we just put the room key in the broom cupboard and left never to return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have taken photo's

Room Tip: try to find one that has been serviced and is clean
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I look forward to you publishing the photos you have taken in order to give some authenticiaty to the fabrications you have managed to conjour to date.

Travellers are raving about these Amesbury hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Dont normally write reviews, but after reading some on here i felt i needed to. I have been here a few times, for lunch to stay overnight and for a wedding last september. The hotel is a very old building and has tons of character, NOT DIRTY at all, the staff couldnt have been more friendly, all so happy to help. The food was 1st class and very good value for money. I will be returning to this hotel in the future

• Stayed September 2011
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed overnight here on our way from London to Cornwall - right off the plane. We had a room with a pull out bed for the kids. The hotel itself is an older building (and very much renovated so it's got a sort of twisty-windy arrangement with steps up and down, not to everyone's liking but much to my daughters' delight), so don't expect the pluses you'll get with a hotel chain, but as a bed and breakfast type of arrangement, we found it more than adequate. The building is a little shabby - could use some updating of carpet and fresh paint, but the beds were comfortable and the breakfast superb.

On arrival, we checked in without a problem and given that we were pretty jet-lagged, it was nicely situated for us to do some walking around to stay awake until evening. Old Sarum is a short drive away and there is a lovely little church and church-yard across the street. The back garden was lovely and the kids were able to play around while we enjoyed a pint and a visit with some fellow tourists. It felt like a perfect start to an English holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 24fps
Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel following our on-going refurbishment programme.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Just got back from a trip to Stonehenge/Salisbury. It was a spur of a moment decision to see this part of England on my way back home to Singapore. Well, you cannot come to England without seeing Stonehenge..
I stayed for 3 nights in The Antrobus Arms Hotel and survived!!!! (judging from the reviews written on here, that was a miraculous thing to happen...) Not only did I survive, I would whole heartedly recommend the hotel to anybody. The staff were wonderful and polite, albeit one or two were a little harrassed (but that is normal in a busy hotel) they all still kept a smile on their face. Personally from the reviews of this hotel which range from very good to appalling it is extremely difficult to form a judgement. But having read a review of a guest who claimed he would never stay there again to only book the same hotel 3 months later made my decision (the hotel can't be that bad after all, if he/she rebooked... ;)). And I am glad I gave it a go as I had such a lovely time with attentive staff informing me of the places I should see before heading home.

My advice to the readers.. don't believe everything you read.. My stay was wonderful and granted it is not a 5star Hotel like The Raffles in Singapore, but you don't get the 5star prices... Pls email me if you hv any queries.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Nazli C
Thank you for your comments and yes! you are quite right, don't judge the hotel by what others have said but what and how you feel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amesbury
2.0 km away
11.6 km away
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#3 of 15 in Salisbury

Been to The Antrobus Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK