“Initial impression”

Humblest of Pleasures
Ranked #36 of 74 Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 11
Description: An all-vegan cafe serving a full breakfast menu consisting of pancakes, full English, avocado on toast, sausage sandwiches, etc. Lunch menu offering jackfruit, bean burgers, kale mac 'n cheese, and a full sandwich and child's menu. Coffee and cake also available. Open Tue-Sat 9:30am-7:00pm, Sun 10:00am-2:00pm.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really wanted to love this place but came away not loving it.

The cafe is not what I expected, it has a slightly industrial cold feel to it with partly bare brick walls. Not much decor or anything interesting to look at. It lacks coziness, it lacks atmosphere. I think a few small changes could make this place more interesting, The vibrant shop front does not reflect the interior. But none of this would have mattered much had the food met my expectations.

I was asked to choose a cup for my drink by a lovely friendly member of staff. My hot drink was actually quite cool when I received it. However it was delicious.

The cafe was quiet but I waited over 20 minutes for my meal. I'm not complaining about that but it's best to allow for waiting time.

My burger was nice enough but with the accompanying wedges the whole thing was rather dry and bland. The garlic and herb wedges were a bit overcooked and did not taste of either garlic or herbs - and nothing to dip them in, which would have been nice.
The coleslaw is a triumph but would benefit from a little onion or celeriac or maybe star anise - just something to make it more tasty.

The portion size was very generous, a plus point.

I will give this cafe another try at some point because i'd really like to be won over by the food.

One last thing. I visited on a cold day and there was not much in the way of heating. I shivered my way through the visit.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We went for lunch. There is a small selection on the menu which they do well. I had fake bacon & avocado sandwich and my partner had “pizza” sandwich. That was pizza style toppings in a sandwich. Both came with salad and slaw and were very tasty.

We have also been for breakfast and that’s good too.

Staff are friendly, it’s clean and well behaved dogs are welcome. They also have a children’s menu.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

As a relatively new vegan, someone took me here for my first ever vegan full English and I was not disappointed. Future breakfasts probably won’t live up to this one - the tofu scramble and facon were both new to me but absolutely perfect, as was my oat milk mocha. We didn’t get to try any cake on this occasion but it gives us a perfect chance to go back another day!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been to HoP a few times now, and I have to say each time has been beyond amazing. From the food to the service, it’s absolutely faultless. It’s lovely being able to walk into somewhere knowing you have a full choice of delicious food options. HoP seems to get a bit better each and every time!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Really lovely place in the heart of Hebden Bridge, not far from the canal walk I enjoyed the fluffy pancakes and fruit topping with syrup! Cosy place where you can choose your tea or coffee mug off the shelf. Good menu choices for the family. The family enjoyed the Vegan full English breakfast and the waffles with fruit and I enjoyed the fluffy pancakes and fruit topping. This is a dog friendly place too!
Very nice!