All reviews half price bed dorm location is great central america funday sunday party chill netflix sjds fans legend
Reviewed 23 May 2010

My buddy and I actually were staying at a much quieter hostel right around the corner but this was one of the liveliest and friendliest hostels in town to hang out in. Definitely a party hostel but a great group of international people and an attentive but relaxed management make this a great place to hang out or stay from what everyone staying there said. They do have quiet hours after 11 and night security but otherwise a very relaxed and mellow place. If you want a romantic, quiet place look elsewhere but for a fun vibe this is a great choice. And while my friend and I can both get by in Spanish, for English speakers the front desk is fluent in English and very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The first time I stayed in San Juan two of my friends had there Credit Card numbers stolen from the man running the little place hostel we crashed at. We soon found out that it was happening to other people too. I loved the town dearly and wanted to give it a second chance on my way back through Nicaragua. My new travel partners and I were walking around looking for another hostel when we spotted this new place Pachamama. It is right next to the beach and right in the middle of all the action in town. It's close to a bunch of good restaurants, markets and bars.

As far as our stay we had a super fun time. We were able to meet and party with a bunch of other fun travelers. Everyone else in the place seemed to be having a bunch of fun as well, witch gave the pace a good super nice vibe. The hang out areas are very nice and enjoyable. The back yard is big and open and fun at night.

My only complaints were that It would be a bit loud at night if there were people partying. But most hostels are the same. I also would have been stoked to see the bar running while I was there. I think it would have been nice to be able to have some drinks there before heading out on the town.

All together, I think it is still a fairley new hostel that has all the right intentions and is only going to improve.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Certainly one of the better hostels available in San Juan, but not perfect.
Pros:
- Great Kitchen - Large communal area and backyard - Playful puppy - Comfortable beds -Good location
Cons:
- Needs lockers! - Tends to attract a more 'social' crowd, making sleep interruptions common in the larger dorms - Limited bathroom/shower facilites
Probably the main deterrent for us however, came shortly after we arrived, when a patron realised he'd been robbed of all his money and cards left in his bed. More unsettling was that the suspect had merely walked in off the street, past everyone to the rear rooms. After this we were quite iffy about leaving anything in the rooms. This highlighted the hostel's dire need for some lockers! Probably the biggest drawback of Pachamama. Otherwise a comfortable place to relax with other travellers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I stayed here for 3 weeks and had an awesome time, one of the best places that i have stayed at in my 6 months in central america.. Great place to meet people, relax or party. The owner and staff are all super friendly and helpful..

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2010

hola friends,

I just stayed at hostel pachamama and want to warn all of you to watch out! We payed for two days up front in a private room. When we arrived the door to our room had been broken several times and the handle was now held together with a half inch by 2 inch piece of wood. You could literally pull the door handle out of the door and they gave us a luggage lock to keep our room safe:) They have a bar in the back of the property and therefore would not let us drink our own beverages at the hostel, so they pretty much force you you to buy from their bar.

Upon checking out they said that we had only paid for one day...which never happens in san juan...and they forced us to pay for another night. The owners are very sketchy and partake in the local flavors regularly, which is a well known fact in the town.

Travelers beware...I would not recommend this hostel to my best friend or worst enemy...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank csunyich
apkt13, Owner at Hostel Pachamama, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2010

As the owner of this establishment I am very disheartend at the review above. I feel it has been a personal attack on my moral character. I try my hardest to give the best service and experience that San Juan and Hostel PachaMama has to offer. We have never had anything "sketchy" happen here at Hostel PachaMama, nor do I condone or act in a manner that portrays my behavior as "partaking in local flavors" unless you are talking about catching waves and enjoying the national rum. A couple things that are true, the door to one private room is broken, hopefully it will be repaired asap. You are also not allowed to drink outside alcohol in the bar, in the hostel it is actually encouraged. The bar is behind the hostel. I hope the above comments dont deter anyone from stopping by and seeing what we have to offer. I feel that the above comments are very degrading and inacurate.

Alex Tuthill