“Disappointment”

Irish House
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Irish House is located about four blocks from the beach. It sits on a corner of two very busy streets and just where the touristy part of town starts.
I chose this B&B because of the positive reviews I have read on this site. Unfortunately, I have to say it was a disappointment for me. I expected more as this is a B&B and not a hostel and because of the higher price.
The rooms are just OK. They are quite cold, “sanitary” and lifeless. My room was big enough for one person. It was clean and it had a fan and a private bathroom. The bed was good as well but the linen was just awful. It was very old. In no time at all, the lint from the linen was all over my clothes and bags. It was just everywhere. The towels were old as well and smell like old wet rag after one use.
The building is located on a corner of two busy streets with loud traffic and drunken people congregating until very late hours. Early in the morning the traffic started again. It was hard to get any sleep.
Security in this place was very poor. After I checked in and settled in my room, I went to buy some groceries. Walking out of the building, I found the bar on the main floor locked and side door into the building open. There was nobody around and I assumed I was the only guest as it is a small place and I have not seen or heard anybody else. There was no way for me to lock the door so I tried to find somebody…. There was nobody around. When I came back there was still nobody around and the side door just like I left it, closed but not locked. Anybody can just walk into the building into the hallway and kick-in the flimsy doors into the rooms with very little problem. It is interesting that the bar was carefully locked up from both sides…. After one night of no or very little sleep I checked out. I found much better value elsewhere.
There was a good internet and the staff wasn’t bad. I ended up staying in San Juan for four day in a different hostel. Anytime I walked by Irish House, the bar was empty and the building looked deserted.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank povetron
irish_house2013, Propietario at Irish House, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
apologies for the quality of the hotel at the time and thank you for your criticism so I can correct, unfortunately the person in charge did not give the best service.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

It's tough rating Irish House. A five star experience? Hardly. But would I stay there again? Absolutely.

I had never been to San Juan del Sur (much less Nicaragua) and did more research than I care to admit to find lodging that was clean, safe, and inexpensive. Irish House was clearly the best option and met all of my expectations. Bob was wonderful to deal with and patient with all of our requests. I visited a few more hotels when I was in town and nothing was as welcoming, certainly not for the price.

Two things to keep in mind though. One, San Juan del Sur is easily the loudest place I've ever been! Dogs, firecrackers, construction, buses, blaring music -- we heard it all. There isn't any property immune to this and the convenience of being in town is well worth it. Just be sure to bring earplugs.

Second, there is no hot water. It isn't as bad as you think because 'cold' is actually lukewarm thanks to the sunny weather. Still, we felt a bit cheated until we found out that our friends in the high-priced hotel down the road also didn't have any.

When it comes down to it, cleanliness and safety are what matters most, and Irish House is a winner.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank gridskipper
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Another great review for The Irish House! The owner Roberto was super helpful and welcoming. The room had many windows and great light with a nice little balcony. Beds were comfortable and the place was very clean. It's right in town so there was a little noise from buses and such. It was a wonderful place to stay

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

Roberto and his family were welcoming and we stopped in a couple times to share stories and have a few Guiness while were in town. We met a couple staying there and there were happy with the location and rooms. Roberto would have been more than happy to show us the rooms although they were all full when we stopped by.

Neat little Irish Pub in Nicaragua!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stumbled upon the Irish House by mistake looking for another hotel in our travel guide. The owner Elisha found us very confused travelers standing in her doorway and invited us in, gave us a tour, then jokingly complained that we interrupted her online poker tournament. The 3 of us are avid poker players and that’s when I fell in love. Not to mention she had Guinness and Paddys whiskey behind the bar which was another selling point. The room was more like a mini apt with a balcony, bathroom, stocked kitchen, TV, free wifi, and 3 beds and for $40 you won’t find anything better. There’s no ac but we had 3 fans and a nice breeze and wouldn’t have noticed the difference. They have the cutest bartender at night who was super friendly and sweet. The owners Elisha and Roberto we so friendly and fun! Roberto gave us recommendations for food and fun and also offered us rides to the store and around town. They also arranged nightly poker games in the bar with their friends; we stayed there 5 nights and played poker 3 of those 5. They made our trip better than I could have imagined and I will recommend The Irish House to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends