“A definite learning curve ”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Silver Thorn Tavern
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Hughesville
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

While home to visit family in PA, we went to Silver Thorn Tavern with my mother. She had read about it opening recently in a local paper, and wanted to try it. Upon arriving, we found three different doors and none were clearly marked which was the main entrance. On our third attempt at a door, we finally got in to the dining area. We stood and waited for direction to a table, finally to be told by a nearby patron to just seat ourselves. We had a waitress stop by to take drink orders and we placed our food order on her return. My mother ordered a hamburger with hand cut fries. My wife ordered a Reuben, and I ordered a haddock sandwich. We waited, and waited, and waited for our food. We saw people who came in behind us get their food. When ours finally came out, it was cold. It was obvious it had been sitting in the window for a while. Once the food was delivered, we didn’t see our waitress again. She knew. She slipped past to drop off the bill. As my mother was still finishing her hamburger, another waitress brought over a party waiting for a seat and told them they could have our table as soon as we were done. Feeling obviously bum rushed, my mom left her last bites of hamburger and we left. A manager/owner(?) saw our expression and asked if everything was ok. We suggested that they mark the entrance and post seating instructions and told him of the long food wait and temperature. He said he was sorry and they were really busy that night (a Thursday). He invited us to give them another chance on a future visit.

As someone who eats probably 6 meals or so in the Lycoming County area per year, I don’t think I would be enthusiastic to do that.

It is a cool setting, and has potential if they get things together. Hopefully they will.

2  Thank PAboyinFL