“Great Stay For The Money”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
Rome, New York
“Great Stay For The Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Decided to stay here so we could take advantage of the discount admission prices during HersheyPark in The Springtime which is their special for Opening Weekends. Discounted Regular Tickets were $25.95 and Jr./Sr. Tickets were $16.95 avaible at the local Giant Food Center. The property is in close proximity to HersherPark (under 10 minute ride to the parking lot). The hotel charges were covered by our Choice Privileges Points Balance, but it would have been approximately $130ish for the two bedroom we selected.

Check in was very smooth. We were greeted at the counter and our reservation was processed promptly. The amenities were explained such as pool hours/location and breakfast hours/location. The gentleman at the desk then walked us to our room. The atmosphere was welcoming, not overbearing.

Normally we avoid Rodeway's because they are generally at the bottom of the Choice Food chain. However, based on research and info we decided to give this property a stay. The rooms are not your typical cookie cutter motel style one would associate with a Rodeway Inn.

This motel is more like a hotel (not quite). It appears as if it were an apartment complex that has been converted into its current state. The rooms aren't upscale, but they aren't suppose to be. They had everything we needed for our two night stay.

Our two bedroom "suite" was located on a second floor with no elevator access. It was very roomy and had one queen bed in a common room and two full beds in a private room along with a kitchen area. The kitchen has a sink, large fridge/freezer and large table as well as cabinets stocked with plates, silverware and utensils. Both sleeping areas have LCD TV's and separate heat & A/C. The beds are standard motel style. These were comfortable, but not nearly as nice ad the Comfort Suite beds we usually stay at.

Parking is somewhat tight, but appears to be sufficient for one vehicle per room. We were able to park right across from the stairwell to our room.

The indoor pool is located right off the lobby, so for most rooms you have to walk outside to get to the pool area. The pool is large with a depth scale of 3ft to 5ft deep. Pool towels are available right there.

They do offer a basic Continental Breakfast upstairs from the lobby and then menu for the next morning was posted at the lobby counter. It is the standard muffins, cereals, juices etc.

There appears to be excellent Wi-Fi coverage, but the speed seemed spotty and sometimes dial up slow via my iPhone as I was writing this review, so I switched over to my 3G connection. The place is about fully booked so it could be too many users on the hotspot. It seemed to vary with different speed tests at different times.

Overall, I can easily recommend this property. The desk staff was helpful and friendly with directions to the nearest Giant Food Center for the above mentioned discount ticket. The rooms were above average and easily accommodated the five of us. Even the bathroom was roomy. We would stay here again for the price point even if we were paying out of pocket. The more upscale properties in the area were priced significantly higher.

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank BenJF3
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Acme, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is not your typical hotel, it is family owned and they do go out of there way. The hotel is not new and does show some age but is clean, breakfast is good and the pool is very nice. I especially like that they have multiple rooms with 3 beds for larger groups so you dont need to get 2 rooms.

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Clifton Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We got there early and they were able to get us in to our rooms earlier than scheduled. Rooms very clean, and a decent size. The continental breakfast was really good. The swimming pool was a fun place to relax..Staffing was great. Really close to all parks. Definitely will be going back again..

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Smelly and old room condition. Terrible staff service. Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa s

Travellers are raving about these Hershey hotels

Fairmont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

My husband and I booked a room for 1 night in December online thru Choice Hotels. It did not state on the website at all that you had to pay via credit card unless you wanted to give them a $100.00 cash deposit. We should up to check in and the lobby was dirty, we had to wait on someone to come downstairs to help us, and once he did arrive he was very rude. He told us how much we would owe and I said ok I would like to pay in cash. He said no debit or credit card only. I explained to him that I could not do that as I had all of my money with me expecting to pay in cash. I proceeded to tell him that I would only pay in cash and he said fine you will have to give me a $100.00 cash deposit. I have never in all of my travels heard of a hotel requiring a $100 deposit. I have heard of $50 deposits and credit cards for incidentals but not this. So, I told the rude guy that he could cancel my reservation and that we would be taking our business elsewhere and would never be recommending his hotel to anyone. After we had left and I had time to cool off, I called back and asked for a cancellation number to have proof incase he would try to charge my card and he said you don't need a number and was very rude. Needless to say I hung up on him. This was the worst experience and customer service I have ever experienced at a hotel and I have stayed at too many to count. Just ridiculous and uncalled for.

Room Tip: Don't choose one at all.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple