“Early morning leaf-blower...”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stay at Sheratons frequently, and this particular one does not represent the Sheraton brand well. I've had a number of problems on my most recent stay. The staff was friendly and accommodated me when possible, but the overall feedback I would have to give is negative.

I checked in late. The first room I was given smelled of mold and mildew, and there was an apparent leak in the ceiling near the outside wall. The wallpaper was stained and coming loose in sections. I was given a new room.

The furniture and carpet in the room is definitely NOT new - there were numerous wear marks on the carpet, the desk was worn, and the utility outlet on the desk had broken loose (still functional, but a possible electrical hazard. The electrical outlets in the room were poorly fitted; my appliances (phone charger, computer, et cetera) would not stay plugged in.

At 7:30am someone operated a leaf-blower outside my room. As I mentioned earlier, I arrived late and was expecting to depart late because I am on a 'second shift' type of schedule.

On the plus side, the staff was very friendly. With some attention to detail this could be an outstanding hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank makersmarc
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey

Reviewed 12 November 2011

The hotel is in great need of a design refreshment . I like that it's close to highway leading to Penn State and marks a nice overnight halfway point when I'm traveling from Philly. Last time I stayed the hotel lost power on a clear night. Perhaps their internal infrastructure needs refreshment too.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel just before Memorial Day in 2011, and had the best service I have ever had at a hotel. We arrived at the hotel al ittle late at night, just as a school group was arriving. It was all hands on deck to get the school group checked in. The manager noticed that we were not with the group, so he pulled us aside and got us checked in very quickly. I was traveling with my wife and infant son. We requested a crib for the room. Normally, this constitutes a pack and play, but much to our suprise, there was a full size crib, completely made up in our room. At about 11:00, we realized that we forgot milk for my son. I went to the front desk, fully expecting them to tell me that the store and restaurant were closed and that there was a McDonald's down the street, and that would have been fine, given the time of night. The manager went and opened up the store, and when he couldn't find milk there, he went and opened up the restaurant and got milk for my son. He truly went above and beyond all expectations. The hotel also made an effort to keep other guests away from the school group. When you are travelling with an infant, the last thing you want is loud teenagers running up and down the hall.

Room Tip: Some of the ceilings in the hallways were a little low, which made the hallways on the floor we were...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank VigorSK
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in September as a stop off on my way to Pittsburgh as part of a sightseeing holiday. During my stay there was torrential rainfall and flash flooding in the area which led to part of the Harrisburg Mall being converted into a FEMA disaster relief center. Whilst the hotel does not look like much from the exterior the interior decor and aesthetics are of a very high standard.
Because of the weather I stayed in the hotel although there are shops nearby. The hotel does have a small gift shop where you can buy drinks and snacks and room service. The staff here are a credit to Sheraton they could not have been happier to help and were very friendly asking me about where I was from and my trip after detecting my English accent. The room was a good size and the bed was extremely comfortable, the TV had a great picture and lots of choice which is great when the weather traps you in your room.
The room service is reasonably priced (for a hotel) and the service was quick, the person on the phone (Rachel I think?) was very helpful and told me it would take 30 mins but really took 15. I had wings and pizza which was very tasty and enough to fill me.
All in all I cannot recommend this hotel or its staff highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2011

The Harrisburg-Hershey Sheraton became my home away from home for most of 2011.

John Secret, Restaurant Manager, never failed to greet me like a long lost friend when I came in to grab a meal…even in late hours as I was wheeling my luggage down the hallway after checking in, he’d spot me and call out my name as I went by, come out to greet me, always welcomed me back and assured me he’d take care of whatever I needed. He’d even know just about how long I’d been away. That’s pretty impressive.

Roger Gauntt (Dog and Pony Pub) is about as hospitable as they come, never intrusive, but always cordial and genuine. We had many an enjoyable conversation. Thank goodness I’m not a heavy drinker or Roger might well know every sordid detail of my life by now. Jeff Bailey’s a great complement for the Dog & Pony bar staff, always on task and affable when I’d come in for a glass of wine to help dissipate the adrenaline from my system and unlock my fingers from the steering wheel grip position after all those midwinter turnpike drives from Pittsburgh.

Kortni Gaffney seemed to be everywhere, from the front desk in the middle of the night to working about every meal in the restaurant. She brightened up my visits at each of her many stations.

Daniel Hoffman became the face I expected to see when I checked in, usually near midnight. I felt like Norm on Cheers when he’d greet me as hit the lobby doors. Daniel took care of about everything for me, from walking me back up to the room when the magnetic key stripe would occasionally fail to open the room door, to arranging for that extra wakeup call.

Last, and most importantly, Kathy Caruso has been my mainstay. She was initially assigned to get my reservations set up for 2011, and did that expertly. From there, it was what I can only describe as perhaps the best sustained customer relations experience I’ve had, and not just in the hospitality industry. I generated a fair number of reservation changes, special accommodation requests, informational queries about everything from SPG status to local amenities, even seeking out the best Sheraton rates and most convenient location possible for family stays in Philadelphia during my grandson’s recent cancer treatments. Kathy never once failed to have a solution and always quickly responded. She’s the consummate professional, and continues to proactively work on ensuring that I’m completely and expertly served by the facility and the network. I couldn’t have written the specs for a more effective staff support leader than Kathy, and I’m profusely grateful to her in particular for making my Sheraton stays the best experience they could be.

The Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey staff made me feel like I had on a Flight Captain’s uniform every time I stepped in the hotel. With regrets, the primary assignment that took me to Harrisburg most of this year has ended. I’ll be back there only sparingly over the foreseeable future and will most assuredly miss the team that took such good care of me throughout this year.

A story I heard decades ago never left me. It remains an important part of my work and personal life. I won’t bore you with it herein, but will refer you to the website where the short story appears pretty much as I heard it back then.

-------------

This is my “thank you” to those named above, but also for the good work of many others at Sheraton who made each visit to Harrisburg pleasant, from the delicious salmon omelets and fast breakfast service in the morning to the consistently fine housekeeping to the flawless service from the Concierge Lounge staff up top. Great team, model service, top notch folks.

With deep appreciation for well-packed parachutes every time,

Rob Jones, CEO
IngoodCompany
Pittsburgh, PA
-------------
--------------

Room Tip: This is an older facility in the Sheraton fleet, but it has been generally well maintained, with sol...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business