“Hidden Gem - Gorgeous Facitlity”

National Civil War Museum
Ranked #2 of 53 things to do in Harrisburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The only museum in the United States to present a balanced, unbiased look at the Civil War.
Harrisburg, PA.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem - Gorgeous Facitlity”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I have lived in Harrisburg for most of my life. I have known about this museum for awhile, but I guess I really never thought about visiting this museum. Why? Because I have gone down to the Gettysburg battlefields so many times.

Well surprise, surprise. I took my son (13) there this weekend and was I pleasantly surprised. We were the first ones to arrive and it was like a ghost town. In the Summer I'm sure this place could get pretty crowded at times. The architecture of this facility (both interior and exterior) was VERY impressive. It was very clean and well kept. There are two levels and you can spend a long time here if you take your time to read and observe all that is displayed. The view of Harrisburg City from the 2nd floor observation area is second to none!

This place is basically a modern day Gettysburg battlefield exhibit with a plethora of displays. I highly recommend it as it was well worth the price of admission.

Visited January 2012
8 Thank AKL_HBG
fins823, Public Relations Manager at National Civil War Museum, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit. January is definitely a great time to visit as it is our slow season. We’re glad you and your son had a great experience at The National Civil War Museum and hope you will continue to visit your local museum!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Unique for Harrisburg”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Great place. Well done. Highly recommended. Best civil war museum outside of Gettysburg.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank Charles D
V
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Good place to visit”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is a really good museum and worth the visit. Allow time to enjoy it all.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank lms1950
Middletown, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Local Attraction!”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

For anyone who's interested in Civil War history and doesn't want to travel far, this is the place to go. Located in Harrisburg, Pa, on beautiful grounds with period re-enactments held annually. Lots of items on display in showcases, beautiful wall murals, life size dioramas as well as "snip-it" videos to enjoy while seated. Gift shop has wide variety of souvenirs and depending when you go there maybe a wait in line to pay for items (as usually one person at register). Admission fee is charged but well worth it. I have been there several times and always see something I missed the time before!

Visited February 2011
1 Thank TravelinGal1231
Thank you for your feedback concerning your visit to The National Civil War Museum. We are proud of our living history encampments that we offer nearly every weekend in the warm months. We hope you will return to find something else you may have missed again!
North Port, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Worth the price”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

There are many exhibits. When you start the tour there is an area that has 3 HD tvs that begins the story of families reacting to secession. The story continues as you make your way through the museum. There are some interactive things for children including at the end Ask Pres Lincoln. I spent 3 1/2 hrs here. For me it was worth more than the admission price.

Visited October 2011
Thank you for taking time to write a review of The National Civil War Museum. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience and especially the character videos that you can follow throughout the Museum. Visitors can spend anywhere from 1 hour to almost a full day here, depending on their level of interest. We hope you will come back to visit us again!