All reviews sun room gracious hosts breakfast was delicious b bs house is beautiful every morning sunroom mansion
Reviewed 9 May 2017

Shining Dawn is a fine Queen Anne home in the heart of Hanover Borough. I lived in the town many years, and recently returned to see old friends. I had walked up and down Broadway Street many times when I lived there, and had always admired the home. I was excited to have the opportunity to stay there, and I could not have been happier with my stay.

The home is as beautiful and evocative of its period inside as outside. The room I was in has a balcony adjoining that has a view to another beautiful Hanover home next door. The complimentary breakfasts were something I would have gladly paid for. Each meal was unique, each was satisfying and beautifully presented.

I am an early riser, and my favorite routine was to go to the Sun Room and help myself to a cup of coffee or tea and do some writing before the day got underway.

Bruce and Helen are excellent hosts, and made me feel at home in all ways.

The location is right downtown, and there are many enjoyable destinations nearby in the downtown area. It is also close to Gettysburg.

I would not hesitate to return to Shining Dawn. The price of my room was in not much more than I would have paid at the Hampton Inn, and there is simply no comparison.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
BASA78, Owner at Shining Dawn Bed and Breakfast Retreat Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Dear craigjsorensen,

We appreciate your stay with us. It was certainly our pleasure to meet you and host your visit. We enjoyed chatting with you a little at breakfast about Hanover. Thank you also for your review. We're very happy to know that you enjoyed your Hanover "homecoming" and hope that you'll keep us in mind should you plan to visit the area again. We would love to have you back.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

This was mine and my husbands first experience with a bed and breakfast and it was wonderful! The owners were very nice and offered up two excellent breakfasts while we were there. The house is very quiet and peaceful. The bed was extremely comfortable and having a private bath was great! Would definitely stay again if in the area!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Jmoney67,
Thank you for your review and your stay. We're glad that you enjoyed your first stay at a Bed and Breakfast. Each one is unique and very different from the experience you might expect from a Hotel or Motel. It is our business, but we live here so it is also our home. It was our pleasure to meet you and your husband and we certainly hope to have an opportunity to host you again. Guests like you are always welcome here.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

Helen and Bruce, the innkeepers, reside on the third floor of this lovely bed and breakfast, which was formerly a one-family estate home. The house had beautiful stained glass, wood floors and little details that were aesthetically pleasing. The owners were very hospitable, approachable, and accommodating. We stayed for two evenings and had two rooms, one for us and one for my adult son. The beds were comfortable. The breakfasts were excellent. For example, one morning, we enjoyed German apple pancakes. We would return if we visited the area again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
BASA78, Owner at Shining Dawn Bed and Breakfast Retreat Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Dear PamelaDeP,

We really enjoyed the opportunity to host you, your husband and son during your stay in the Hanover/Gettysburg area. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we certainly hope to see you again.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 5 June 2016

A tasteful rennovation of an old historic home, offers beautifully decorated rooms, great service, and friendly hospitality. Breakfast offerings are unique culinary creations. The interior is full of old antique grand father clocks, which chime on the hour. There are common areas: patio, living room, foyer, and meditation room. Free Wi-fi, coffe and tea service all day in the patio. Your hosts Helen and Bruce will spare no details to make your stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: The rising sun room is very spacious, with a king sized sled bed, and great natural lighting.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babalubj

Dear babalubj,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Shining Dawn Bed & Breakfast. It was our pleasure to meet and host you as our guests. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you'll keep us in mind should you ever make plans to stay in the area again.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 31 May 2016

What a truly beautiful home run by 2 really down to earth kind people. Helen & Bruce have turned their home into a Victorian beauty. Every detail is special and done with care. The room was beautiful, the stars on the ceiling were an added romantic touch. The mattress was very comfortable and I had to take a bath in the claw foot tub. We felt we were back in time. The breakfast was delicious and made with love. If ever we are back in PA this will be our go to place.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
BASA78, Owner at Shining Dawn Bed and Breakfast Retreat Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2016

Dear Lois L,
We're very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We wish you the very best and hope to see you again.
Helen & Bruce, Innkeepers