“What a great place! I'm going back.”

Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Glen Mills
Athens, Georgia
“What a great place! I'm going back.”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I was in the area to train for 3 weeks with my new service dog. I was so lucky to find this hotel! The room was mostly ideal for someone in a wheelchair with wide doors and a roll-in shower. The living room area was a little cramped because we had to leave the sofa bed open, and so drawer space was limited.

The full-size fridge, microwave and 2-burner cook top helped us eat in and save money. The evening reception food wasn't much but breakfast was great! Other amenities included a pool, grilling courtyard, FREE guest laundry, fitness room and a dog walking area WITH clean up bags and a bin to put them in.

The staff was super and the extend stay rate is very good. The area has grocery and other shopping nearby as well as fast food and restaurants. Great location! I have to continue training in the fall and have already booked my room!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Anytown, USA
Reviewed 24 August 2011

As a frequent business traveler and a Platinum Priority Club member, I prefer staying in IGH hotels. This Staybridge worked out great while on an engagement in Philly. I traveled in-and-out for about three months and enjoyed the stay. Friendly staff and good service. Given my schedule I wasn’t always able to make it back for the evening sundowner but on days when I did, it was good.

Ps: The reason for not giving a good and not “excellent” rating? Customer service. I was let down by the marketing manager. I had referred a colleague to stay with me for the duration of our engagement and the manager promised me some bonus PC points which never came. No response after repeated emails to them.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
9 Thank M B
Taizhong
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for several days worth of meetings at a nearby company. The company arranged the hotel. But I had to arrange shuttles and other logistics for other members who were travelling in for the meeting.

1. The Rooms - clean and spacious, like a small apartment. Ideal for longer stays where you might buy your own groceries. Business travelers will appreciate the desk and the free, no hassle Internet in the room and throughout the hotel.

2. The Staff. The staff were friendly and helpful. There were, however, times where the front desk was not staffed or when phones were not promptly answered. It feel a little understaffed.

3. The location. I know that this is subjective, but for business travelers flying in from out of state, it is important to realize that this is well outside of Philadelphia and like most of the United States is not very convenient without renting a car. They have shuttles that give free transportation to areas in a 5 mile radius, which is great, but it is first come first served. More on this later in this review. There are no taxi cab companies located in the area, so if you have to call a cab, it will have to drive in from another area, which will run up the cost and require pre-planning. Don't expect to get a cab at the last minute.

The good news is that there is a shopping center nearby with restaurants within walking distance. But if you are meeting for business, there are no appropriate restaurants in easy walking distance. As there is no restaurant in the hotel itself, this further detracts from its convenience for business travelers.

4. Food

The free breakfast was better than expected and is a nice perk. It is very convenient and the food is plentiful and fresh. There are no restaurants in the hotel so you you'll have to eat outside of the hotel, have food delivered in, or cook your own lunches and dinners.

5. Transportation

This was the one disappointment for me. Since this is a hotel that caters to groups visiting the local businesses for training, meetings, etc. they do offer a free shuttle that take you to many of those businesses. Even better it will take you to local restaurants and other locations. This is great! HOWEVER, it is first come first served. When I was planning for the meeting I made several calls to the hotel and on more than one occasion asked about the shuttle. I was simply told to make a reservation when I checked in and was NOT allowed to reserve shuttle use over the telephone. At no time was I told that there was only one shuttle.

When I checked in after a very long international flight and tried to reserve the shuttle for my group for the next couple of days, I was told that the shuttle was completely booked for the week for the times I needed because another group already booked it. So I had to spend my evening making expensive reservations with cab companies and updating my team members of the change in plans.

Eventually, I was able to make some scheduling changes and the shuttle operator was very accommodating as was able to work it out so that we were able to leave a bit, but not much, earlier than we originally planned. But as nice as it is to have the free shuttle and as helpful as the operator was, the hotel really should allow customers to reserve the shuttle in advance. It is very difficult to plan business functions without knowing until the last minute that local ground transportation will be available.

I highly recommend that business groups arrange their own transportation, either by rending a van or with a cab company rather than relying on the hotel's shuttle. Local businesses certainly should not count on the shuttle selecting this hotel for their business functions. That is certainly the feedback I gave the company I was meeting with.

If they handled shuttle reservations in a more business-friendly manner, I would have given this hotel five stars.

Room Tip: I only stayed here once, but I can't see how one room is really better than another. It is not a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Spoonbilled
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 July 2011

It has been extremely hot here this past week and hubby I live in the city and we wanted to get away close to home to swim and relax by a pool.. I chose this place for the great rate, under 1 hr from home, free breakfast and outdoor pool. We had a studio suite, large enough for the two of us. It was very clean, included a small mini kitchen and comfortable queen bed and sitting area. Most of our afternoon was spent poolside. Nice, not
very large pool. There was also a barbecue pavilion with two gas grills
which I thought was a nice feature. There was a large group of 20+ year olds who occupied the pool most of the day with us. They were a bit loud at times but they were having fun and didn't really bother anyone else from swimming. The location is great for shopping and its within walking distance of two shopping centers and restaurants. Breakfast was okay. It would have been better if they added at least Bacon or sausage to the menu. its not advertised as continental so I was expecting meat. Overall we enjoyed it and plan to book another suite hotel near home just to get away. Would we book here again? yes we would, but we want to try other places too.

• Stayed July 2011
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for an reunion with college friends. We were all there with our kids. Pool was great and the staff was very friendly. I would deftly come back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1.7 km away
Residence Inn Philadelphia Glen Mills/Concordville
3.6 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester

Been to Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK