“GOOD FOOD! UP FOR SALE BUT STILL OPEN!!”
Review of White Horse Inn - CLOSED

White Horse Inn
Reviewed 30 May 2016

As a local, I went there with a friend for supper the night before the auction of the Inn. It was good food, as always, good service and reasonably priced.
Although the property did not sell at auction, the liquor license did. However, the restaurant and bar are still open until the buyer of the liquor license gets approved by the state. As far as I know, the restaurant will be open until the property sells.
If you get a chance, stop by - it's a beautiful old (ca 1732) inn!

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 18 April 2016

We stopped in Saturday April 16th. We met Mr. McQeen. Hs family has owned the White Horse Inn since 1958. The Inn has been here since 1740 and served as an inn and restaurant for those who travelled between Lancaster and Philadelphia, including George Washington. He is selling the inn because none of his descendants want to run the place. He, of course, has mixed feelings about the change. It's a wonderful place and if the new owners continue the food, ambiance and service it will be here for a long time. I had the turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was all I could do to finish the meal. My wife had the ham special and ended up bringing half home. Total price (without drinks) $22. Food arrived quickly, hot, and served with a smile. I am sorry to took us this long to discover the place. Thrift shop across the street is worth a look too.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 16 March 2016

Saw they're selling/auctioning the place off, which is a shame. Good solid food in an historic setting.

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank bunnyk700
Reviewed 6 February 2016

We have eaten here before, but had to give a special "thumbs up" for the Pennsylvania Dutch Style chicken pot pie that we had on Tuesday night! The best!!

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 10 January 2016

I've eaten here over the years and actually worked here until about 2009. Their menu has changed a little but I talk speak on many of their menu items from my experiences back then. In general, their food is the typical American food. Lots of sandwiches, some entrees. They are open from Tues-Sat.

My favorite thing from the Inn is their BBQ chicken. They have their BBQs on the last Friday of every month from April to September. The owner has his "secret recipe" and the seasoning mixture for the rub is made in house. It is one of my favorite dry BBQs ever. I highly recommend attending, but if you want seating at a BBQ, you should make a reservation in advance because they are packed. I'd always get them as take-out, though. Equally delicious!

My favorite menu items are:
Homemade chicken noodle soup (all their soups are homemade)
Cheesesteak (not Philly good but still tasty)
Homemade chicken pot pie (Tuesday dinner special)
Baked Lancaster county ham with mac&cheese (Saturday dinner special)

From working there, these were the most popular items:
Those I listed as my favorites
Hot roast beef sandwich
Hot turkey sandwich
Vegetable beef soup (homemade)
Crab cakes
Chef salad
Any triple decker
Any dinner special

Things I wouldn't recommend:
Grilled chicken santa fe or grilled chicken parmesan--It is very easy to get much better versions of these at other restaurants. I've had each and wasn't impressed with them.
Cheeseburger--it was underwhelming and I've had had better at 5-guys.

I love sharing the history about this place, too. I think they are part of the best kept secrets tour. When I worked there, on this day I gave people a tour and told them the history but I'm not sure if they still participate or give the history talk. A good bit of the history can be found on the restaurant's website. Just some other tidbits not included on the website. The building has been expanded at least once. The addition is on the East side of the building, from about the door to the basement (in the living room) to the East facing windows. When you're inside, where the women's bathroom is, there used to be a spiral staircase that went up to the living quarters on the second floor. Originally, there was no divider between the bar and dining room. This was added when there was the establishment of smoking/non-smoking sections. It's a great, local piece of history!

Date of visit: September 2015