“Loved every moment we spent here”

The Panoramic Getaway
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Chithirapuram
Reviewed 11 October 2017

August is the time when we head for our much awaited annual trip to celebrate 2 most imp occasions of ours (My Kid's and my husband's birthday) like everyone we also look for the best, Hotel is no exception, I am not the one who will settle for any hotel, an extensive research , reading tons of reviews , both positive and negative , positive of course to know the facilities better and setting the expectations right by real people but most important is not to ignore negative reviews because it's very imp for me to know that reason is actually negative or it's just the heck of picking up a point and making a big fuss out of it ) after weeks of research I narrowed down my research to top 3 - The Panoramic Gateway, The Panoramic Gateway and The Panoramic Gateway'
Trust me , no other place came closer while freezing to 'PG' as I got all i wanted in this place and I was sure it will be in real too.

Straight from the check in to check out it was a cake walk, I enjoyed each moment we spent here, let's me take you through my experience, the review is little late but the memories are still fresh :)

Major reason I chose : I observed that Ms Sona takes her guests very seriously , whether their review is positive or negative , she equally gives them personal attention and attend their issues via her personalised responses (she can easily delegate a Marketing and PR team to do so, but customer experience is something she keenly takes care of , kudos to you Sona ( I however miss the chance to meet you in person but I hope to see you someday)

Locating the hotel: A very very important point, Google Maps will take you to the correct destination, please trust Google here (I know it can be little tricky on a hill station and we don't want to take a chance) but trust me Google knows all :) It was showing correct route to a till a particular point and then I saw a hugee billboard of the Hotel pointing toward straight direction to reach (around 17 kms from there) but Google said take right, which is a little narrow path going down) My husband wanted to rely on Google while I was firm to follow billboard sigh (both weren't wrong) but they route we chose (of course mine :P, I was regretting later) it cost us several kms extra , had it be a plain road it was ok but on hill station every km matters , so trust Google else choose longer route.

Check In- Smooth as if I enter my own home , we checked in in evening , quickly done with form filling formalities , got keys from reception , was given quick information about the property and amenities in room with information on other facilities within property.

The Room- I am always excited to sneak into the allotted room of any Hotel and this was same, walking in the corridor , I couldn't wait to see 'our room' and the 'view from our room', a lovely clean , spacious room was waiting for us, quite spacious in terms of walking space plus the shelves/wardrobes and furniture to keep your luggage and other stuff, enough plug points (mind you , it's very important considering we all travel with an army of gadgets for each one of us , specially to such a scenic place Cameras/Phones/iPads and what not)

Kettle, water bottles for tea/coffee preparation, extra 2 litres water in beautiful glass bottle (Yes, i notice smallest of detail, but most important here is to know how every basic thing has been well taken care of :)

The room has a big private Balcony looking towards valley, beautiful view of mountains and clouds , the misty smell of mountain and the rains, truly, a treat for your soul

The Bathroom: Medium sized bathroom, Absolutely clean , nicely designed, separate shower cubicle , glass wall on one side that overlook the room , you can choose to draw curtain to block the view, toiletries, napkins and towels well placed and were changed timely . However, the exhaust fan is centralised and is switched on upon request, most of the times, may be for a reason , unknown to me .

Cleanliness -10/10 - You will not spot any dirty area or corner for that matter , the room is

The Food: Ahem, the favourite topic of mine :) Like one curious soul, as soon as i enter the hotel i head towards the area where the famous 'Underground Grill ' restaurant is located, just to see if its for real :P , It exists I thought in my mind , was happy as if I discovered a new country , promising myself to visit the place next eve i came back to reception.

The Multi Cuisine Restaurant : The place where all guests have breakfast and dine (apart from Undergroud Grill restaurant)

1) Great Food
2) Ample of choices for Lunch/Dinner
3) Well trained/mannered, soft spoken and friendly staff
4) Breakfast buffet was quite a spread , choices of breads/cakes, spreads and Jams, choices of middle eastern food, falafel, Hummus etc ( I felt I am back to Dubai) South Indian delicacies , North Indian items and much more, you will be spoilt for choice for sure, extended hours for breakfast , it's served till 11 AM )

I missed on visiting few areas and availing facilities in hotel because of my kid did not let me venture around alone :P , nevertheless, I will keep it for some other visit, The Spa 'Tattva' has some amazing spas and packages to offer (I read from the book kept in room) I so wanted to get a sneak peak of the room with Jacuzzi in balcony , infinity pool, view from terrace, but never mind I will keep all for my next trip , as it has to be PG when I am in Munnar :)

At last, I can go on and on with my experience , but I want to tell team PG that 'keeping guests happy is seriously no easy job, we all come from various parts of world with various mindsets and tantrums, and you guys are doing a fantastic job, I understand how much hard work, patience , training goes into this industry and I hope we all understand that keeping a property beautiful is not just the Owner/Management's job but ours too, as a guest I can contribute to it by not damaging/misusing the facilities offered. It's very easy to point out faults but it takes a village to deliver the best . I am very happy to see you and your team in giving your heart and soul to this hotel and I wish you all the very best .

Room Tip: Valley view room are at the back side of the hotel (The same view which we see on the Hotel's we...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
SonaBennett, Owner at The Panoramic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear Most valuable Guest,

The name wasn't clear..so sorry to address you this way.

Well..in one word I am stunned. This is the mother of all reviews, the biggest I have seen in recent times. I started reading it in the morning at 6 am and just finished reading by 5 pm. Changed two mouses in the process because they burned up with all the scrolling down. My husband watched GODFATHER II 3 times in the meantime. And Kim Jong-un fired 12 missiles to nowhere during the time.

The world is not going to be the same anymore. At least our world at the Panoramic Getaway.

I say this because of the huge chunk of encouragement that we have received from you, everyone of us is thrilled,filled. We are elated and at the same time humbled by your response that sums up the entire Philosophy, Psychology and History behind the making of The Panoramic Getaway. THANK YOU in BOLD letters.

Some of the points raised here in your review need to be revisited again. Specially the research part where you were able to zero down on PG from among the mess that TripAdvisor reviews are these days. A number of unwanted elements are at work in there , manipulating the numbers, rankings and invariably quality takes a beating. Therefore it is essential to work your way through the smokescreen and make believe stuff to get to the real. You did it brilliantly and I am sure many more travelers are going to be inspired by your findings.

Thanks again for the personal appreciation. I do take great care of my guests and always on the look out for improving what we have got and seeing to their comforts every way possible. My team here does the same and its they who really make the theory work. Your appreciation will go a long way in keeping them energized.

Of course, the sign board that threw you off course cannot be overlooked. Like everything else its there pointing the wrong way for a purpose. This is the road that passes through some green jungle,through the green tea gardens that gives you a feeling of entering a hill station. The alternate shorter route is not exactly paved well and basically don't give you an interesting drive. When you return from the hotel you are going to take this road anyway. This is how a wrong is made (to look )right.

You have also given amazing details of our UNDERGROUND grill restaurant , the FOODSENSE resturant, the room as such and Tattvam spa as well. They cannot be spoken of any better.

Some of the insights have gone deeper than Mariana Trench specially the part that speaks of hardwork, training and patience. The gentle advise to the guests to take care of hotels facilities I am sure will go a long way in spreading a good thought.

I am also happy to see that there are a few things you didn't exactly explore , reason enough for a part II to this review. We would be certainly looking forward to that. For now let me once again express our gratitude to you for this unparalleled review that automatically qualifies to be the hotel's favorite.

Warm Regards
Sona Bennett

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

First of all, I would like to appreciate the efforts put in for adorning the lobbies,pathways,passages, and the resort premises, be it the Green Wall at the entrance or the beautiful showpieces,furniture in the lobby, everything seems to be cherry picked for the theme of the resort which is modern,chic and elegant !

We were a family of four and stayed at this resort in first week of October for 2 nights.We had a bit of difficulty reaching the resort as the signboards directing to the location of the resort are quite rare on the Kochi-Munnar route.The resort is located roughly half an hour from Munnar Town.

We were welcomed with Hot ginger tea which was quite refreshing .The check in process was smooth and we were guided to our rooms shortly..The rooms,one was in the front side and one in the corner ,were cosy,having enough light,spacious with all basic amenities. Quite clean and well kept.The balcony of the front side rooms is spacious but the balcony of the corner room is smaller and this was not what we expected specially when the tariff of both the rooms was same.All rooms have great panoramic views of hills covered with green forest which is quite soothing.

One of the restaurant is on the ground floor named 'Food Sense' which serves variety of cuisines.The staff at this restaurant is well trained and it shows in their style of service. We dined at this restaurant for all our meals and thoroughly enjoyed the food.We had ordered a variety of dishes during our stay and each and every dish exceeded our expectations.The style of dining is A la carte, and the breakfast is buffet style only.The breakfast has a good spread covering mostly South Indian dishes apart from the usual Bakery,Eggs made to order, and the Beverages section.Though most of the people would find the menu on the costly side, the food was worth its cost.There is another restaurant 'Underground Charcoal Grill' for the ones who enjoy Barbeque style cuisine.The coffeee shop 'Chimes' is located near the reception and it offers great views in the comfort of a small coffee shop like theme with bean bags and chess board.Quite relaxing to laze around and enjoy the view!

The highlight for us of this resort was the 'heated swimming pool' overlooking beautiful scenery. We thoroughly enjoyed swimming in the adult pool located on top floor overlooking the best views of hills.As it was heated,it was possible to enjoy the pool,otherwise even the thought of taking a dip in the cold water at a hill station would give us the chills :)

The Gym is well equipped for basic exercise, the activity room has fuse ball, carrom, chess, TT etc and are maintained well.

Suggestions for improvement :
Very few actually ! Though the corner rooms should not have same tariff as other rooms since balconies are relatively smaller.Adequate signboards are needed for the travellers to get to the resort quickly . I observed that the staff at the reception worked sincerely but lacked the 'welcoming smile' which would go a long way.

Rooms : 8/10
Food : 8.5/10
Service : 8/10
Overall experience : 8.5/10

Strongly recommended !

Lastly, I appreciate the efforts of the owner to reply to every review posted here.This involvement of the owner is clearly visible in the way the resort is maintained !

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms which have smaller balconies ! All other are great !
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
SonaBennett, Owner at The Panoramic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Most valued guest,

One can't have it all..right? All appreciation in the description but a bubble missing from the top.! Well..I am not just about to complain but sincerely appreciate you for taking the time to put together such a "study" made up of careful observations and analysis. This is what we call a SOLID review.

Thank you very much.

All those things that worked perfectly don't have to be referred to again but there are one or two things I would like to clarify specially from the suggestions side. Yes , a couple of Dlx rooms have slightly smaller balconies -but everything else being equal it does not warrant a separate pricing in our opinion. Also these couple of rooms are the last allotted to guests. -Not everything is bad with the small balcony because my husband found the cave like corner of it a perfect hiding place to steal a drink..!

Technically the hotels are not permitted to place very many direction boards along side the roads which get removed by the authorities whenever they want to scratch their back with it. May I suggest google map based navigation to all guests..? Better still "Waze" app. Takes you to even " Panchalimedu" conveniently if you wish to go there. This is from experience and it is quiet difficult to loose your way if you are hooked on to it.
Of course, you are right. We all need to smile more. The world would have been a far better place if everyone did that more time and a little longer. I am going to suggest to my staff to wear that more frequently. It was done many times before. Now the only way left to bring the smile back seems to be the "Joker's method in the Batman movie." :)

Well...I am sorry for not reaching up to an equal size with this reply-in comparison to the review. Anyone can be lost for words sometimes.
Once again thanks for the detailed review and welcome back.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Location: Good location, View from the front was simple, but once we entered in to the resort it was great experience.

Staff: Staff are very courteous and approachable. We came for a walk at around 1 PM in the night and the staff in reception was awake and greeted us.

Cleanliness: Entire resort was very clean and neatly maintained.

Food: Morning breakfast was awesome and mouth-watering. Mixed option of South/ north and International. Special thanks to Chief Chef...

Pool: Both the pools family and adult was too good. Infinity pool on top was highlight. Temperature control was a great plus. Liked very very much. Again, neatly maintained. No words to appreciate.
Suggestion: Please check if you can allow kids in Infinity pool. Our kids were upset as they were restricted to family pool.

Underground Grill: This was great experience and food was awesome. Want to apologize team in the underground restaurant as we took more time in the night :) :)

Bar: Bar was not available due to Government regulation. Please check if something can be done for this?

Overall, we had great time and carry rich fulfilled experience with us.

THANK YOU TEAM. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.....

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear Mr Vasu Devan,

Its our turn to be speechless reading your assessment. Full marks and for a reason. Thank you very much.

You can call a hotel a complicated, huge living organism made up of many. It is inhabited by people of all kinds coming from every nook and corner of the world. And the equations change everyday. To manage and keep such an entity rolling fine requires super human effort from all, starting with the trainee who arrived only yesterday. Just because we see a hotel on every turn and every corner it does not reduce its complexity , and scale of hard work involved.

I want to appreciate you in this context. You have gone in to the details , seen things through and through and placed your happiness in full measure here for all peoples of the world to see. Now that is a wonderful gesture and all of us -The entire Panoramic Getaway Team - is grateful to you.

Sona Bennett

PS: Issue of serving liquor in the UNDERGROUND restaurant is very much on our agenda..we are working the problem.
2. Allowing kids to be in the infinity pool will be like allowing them to fly without seat belts.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel are the place for a fantastic view and spectacular heated pool on the roof.
The room was nice and clean we stayed in a large suite. The beds where nice and a large bathroom with a bathtub with a view over the mountings.
No extras for a suite standard not even a fruit and a empty minibar.
The restaurant has very uncomfortable garden table and chairs. The waiters was very confused and gave a feeling of very inexperience. A visit to the auyroveda spa not in class of others I have visit in Kerela. The hotel have Pub but no licence to serve beer only mock tails. The hotels recommended mock tail was out of stock at our stay. Summery not what you expect for the price.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
SonaBennett, Owner at The Panoramic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Dear Erika,

At the outset thanks for the appreciation of some aspects of the hotel and some constructive suggestions. They will all be taken seriously.
Fruit baskets will be introduced in Exe suites as well besides the Panoramic and Pavilion suites where it's already present, starting today.
The Minibar supply in the rooms had to be suspended for sometime due to confusion in the GST structure. They will soon be back.
I see that you had some other difficulties in the F&B section,those too will be looked in to.
Once again thanks for the constructive feedback.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

It is super clean and beautiful hotel , view from the room balcony says everything, pool on the terrace has warm water...it is so rejuvenating and relaxing , i loved the experience , breakfast buffet is awesome too , staff service is good

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
SonaBennett, Owner at The Panoramic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Most valued guest,

Your words have brightened up an otherwise dull day. Thank you.

In short words you have hit up on all aspects of what a fine hotel should be. A lot of effort goes in to getting it all right and I must acknowledge that its the dedicated PG team who maintains the extremely high standards we have set for ourselves. This appreciation is the result of their hard work.
Once again, many thanks for coming over to us and placing your experience on record.

Sona Bennett

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chithirapuram
0.5 km away
2.2 km away
The Leaf Munnar
The Leaf Munnar
#2 of 15 in Chithirapuram

Been to The Panoramic Getaway? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK