All reviews exercise classes weight loss eat healthy canyon ranch boot camp other guests no tipping daily routine wide variety of activities preparing meals bad reviews trainers annex joan instructor facial muscles
Reviewed 9 August 2016

I called two weeks ago in the afternoon to book three massage appointments. One for my mom, my husband and me. The gentleman I spoke with told me that normally they only book appointments one week out, but since it was for three people, an hour and a half massage each and at 9:00 pm, he would gladly book them for us. This way, he would also have time to find other masseuses. We arrived for our appointments 15 minutes early so we could fill out our paperwork and not miss a minute of our massage. When I walked up to the front desk to check in, the gentleman informed me that we were not in the books and there was only one person there. I asked him how he thought he could change this unfortunate experience into a positive one and he simply stared at me and shrugged his shoulders. Tonight was our last night in the area, so we were not able to book new appointments. I understand that these kind of mistakes can happen, but it was the way it was dealt with that made the situation even worse. The gentleman working tonight, clearly did not care and did not feel like this was his problem. Not even a simple apology was offered. I do not expect service like this anywhere, and even less in a small touristy town.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank kimberlynatasha
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

We got the deal from Livingsocial because they got positive reviews. The place is tiny; two small gyms, a small pool & a portable jacuzzi. The room is even smaller than we though.
The activity is very few. Not a lot as what we expected. Do not expect you are sweating in exercise. The foods are below that we expected. We can cook better foods that still healthy. We were starving when we were there. We almost call Domino's pizza. Lol.

A lot of grandma were stayed over more than a week and they love the place. So we are assuming this place is good for elderly but not for active couples like us. It is illegal for hotel to refuse customers based on age. Hope this review clear everything.

We ended up go home a day earlier and waste 700 bucks deal.

The positive: it is clean & homie.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank mgcby2001
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2016

Hi mgcby2001,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I can assure you that your experience was not in line with our high standards and I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you personally about your visit. I apologize for your feelings on the meal situations as well as the exercise program. From what we were told, you only did two classes and went on the hike missing the morning fitness classes. Our programs are designed to be all levels for everyone, and just one afternoon does not give you a full sample of what Deerfield Health Retreat has to offer. We have all ages of adults, and sometimes older teens, staying here and enjoying all we have to offer. We don't feel that staying less than 24 hours was giving us the opportunity to show our full potential, hence, why we have a two-night minimum. Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

I just returned from five days at Deerfield Spa. It is a warm, cozy and inviting retreat. The owner, Joan makes you feel like you are a guest in her own home. The food is beautifully prepared and tasty. I stayed in the Annex and had a lovely room. The classes are geared to whatever level you are comfortable with. Bingo night was great! I enjoyed my massage with Cynthia. I made great friends, everyone gets along! High recommend it!

Room tip: I would recommend the Annex - I understand the rooms and the showers are larger, than staying in the main house.
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
DeerfieldSpa52558, Public Relations Manager at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2016

We are so glad to hear you had a great visit. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2016

I love Deerfield. Being there is like wearing a comfortable pair of slippers and being covered with a soft blanket. It's my "go to" place and even though I vacation with hubby 1-2x a year (cruise, Caribbean), being @ Deerfield is really my favorite. A friend and I go every fall, it's a perfect place to relax, be yourself and just "be". There are different exercises class every hour if you choose, a beautiful outdoor pool and jacuzzi and wonderful spa services offered. The service is personalized and even though this isn't a fancy place, the staff caters to whatever you need. The food is prepared nutritiously and tastefully and the environment is homey and rustic. If you're looking for glamour and fancy, this isn't for you. But if you want a very casual "home away from home", you found it at Deerfield. The owner Joan is hands on, friendly and a very special person. She is the heart and soul of Deerfield, and will go out of her way to make you feel important.

Room tip: The site is self explanatory, it's a very small place, everything is a stones throw away
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank skrys

We are glad to hear you enjoy your visits to Deerfield, and that you think of it as your "home away from home." We hope to see you soon!!

Reviewed 25 September 2015

I took advantage of a Fall special on their Deerfield's website and am glad they had availability when I could travel. Having read some mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, my expectations were modest. Deerfield really exceeded my expectations and is quite nice.

The best part is the non pretentious, neighborly atmosphere. The dining tables seat 4-10 people and all the guests at the tables where I ate were really nice, down to earth, and fun (all women except for last day). All of the staff was very nice, and our waiter in particular was great about accomodating special meal constraints. My room was clean and pleasantly decorated. There was a window air conditioner and hair dryer in the bath. I believe heat is centrally controlled.

I did not have any spa treatments, but I spoke with 2 who had facials and 2 who had massages and they were all very satisfied. There are classes held 10-5pm, with 2 classes to choose from at any given hour.

There are some watch outs, however:

The food is bland, with some rather odd menu choices. There is salt & pepper at each table, but frankly it would have helped if there were some further healthy options like oregano or parsley or garlic pepper to add more flavor. Meals are constructed with calories in mind (maybe 1200/day?), but I never felt hungry during my 4 days there. Meals are at set times - 8am breakfast was a challenge for me, but I was sure to be there because that is the only meal where coffee is served. Water is the only beverage available at other meals.

The exercise program is a mixed bag - while all trainers were nice, there's a big range of expertise. I also thought it odd to have morning stretch sessions outside in Fall and without warming up first. I had hoped there would be more hiking but there is 1 hike per day and the levels vary from beginner to advanced. I did not see any walking trail around the property. There is an outdoor heated pool and water exercise classes are held there.

Light sleepers should probably call in advance to get room advice. The spa is on a busy street and I could hear the cars pass by (not enough to bother me, though). The house is old, with rather thin walls, and some folks are just loud talkers.

While there are drawbacks, I had a very positive experience here and was able to recharge and meet some great people.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank RFJ
DeerfieldSpa52558, Public Relations Manager at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2015

Thank you for leaving us a great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and love the feedback. We truly care what our guests think and want to continue to grow with the help and suggestions of our guests.