“Canadian Gets a Kick Start”

Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa
Reviewed 16 August 2016

I spent 2 weeks at Deerfield this summer and loved every minute of it. It has a relaxed, "bed and breakfast" atmosphere where the guests get to know Joan and her "spa" family, as well as each other. It is in a old farmhouse where the rooms are quaintly furnished and you can get the size that is right for you (single, double). I had a room with a single bed and en-suite bathroom. It was just right for me. If you want a more modern room, you can book into the "annex", a separate building.
I chose to have a spa vacation because I needed a catalyst to get me exercising again and off the sugar and processed foods. I found this one on the internet and it was close enough to the Canadian border (I am from Toronto) that I could drive to it in one day. It was also less expensive than any Canadian equivalent I found, even with the going exchange rate for the loonie.
I was petrified that I would not be able to do without my nightly intake of ice cream and chocolate. I was surprised to find that with the balanced meals and snacks, including a delicious dessert every night, I was not hungry or feeling deprived (though it helped to save my healthy breakfast muffin for my bedtime snack). The food was fantastic and I have managed to continue to make healthy choices now that I am home.
The days were filled with many different types of exercise classes from sunrise hikes to aqua fitness. Personally, being in my sixties and having been away from formal exercise for a year, I chose aqua fitness every day (2 classes per day to chose from) and was introduced to Pilates, which I discovered I loved. The classes could be as easy or difficult as you wanted and the instructors were lovely.
And of course, while there, I enjoyed several massages and a reflexology session. The spa staff were also lovely and friendly.
I would not hesitate to recommend this spa to all my Canadian friends and I am certainly going to make my Deerfield "kick start" program an annual event!

Room Tip: Annex has more modern and bigger rooms
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 August 2016

I called two weeks ago in the afternoon to book three massage appointments. One for my mom, my husband and me. The gentleman I spoke with told me that normally they only book appointments one week out, but since it was for three people, an hour and a half massage each and at 9:00 pm, he would gladly book them for us. This way, he would also have time to find other masseuses. We arrived for our appointments 15 minutes early so we could fill out our paperwork and not miss a minute of our massage. When I walked up to the front desk to check in, the gentleman informed me that we were not in the books and there was only one person there. I asked him how he thought he could change this unfortunate experience into a positive one and he simply stared at me and shrugged his shoulders. Tonight was our last night in the area, so we were not able to book new appointments. I understand that these kind of mistakes can happen, but it was the way it was dealt with that made the situation even worse. The gentleman working tonight, clearly did not care and did not feel like this was his problem. Not even a simple apology was offered. I do not expect service like this anywhere, and even less in a small touristy town.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank kimberlynatasha
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

We got the deal from Livingsocial because they got positive reviews. The place is tiny; two small gyms, a small pool & a portable jacuzzi. The room is even smaller than we though.
The activity is very few. Not a lot as what we expected. Do not expect you are sweating in exercise. The foods are below that we expected. We can cook better foods that still healthy. We were starving when we were there. We almost call Domino's pizza. Lol.

A lot of grandma were stayed over more than a week and they love the place. So we are assuming this place is good for elderly but not for active couples like us. It is illegal for hotel to refuse customers based on age. Hope this review clear everything.

We ended up go home a day earlier and waste 700 bucks deal.

The positive: it is clean & homie.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mgcby2001
DeerfieldSpa52558, Owner at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2016

Hi mgcby2001,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I can assure you that your experience was not in line with our high standards and I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you personally about your visit. I apologize for your feelings on the meal situations as well as the exercise program. From what we were told, you only did two classes and went on the hike missing the morning fitness classes. Our programs are designed to be all levels for everyone, and just one afternoon does not give you a full sample of what Deerfield Health Retreat has to offer. We have all ages of adults, and sometimes older teens, staying here and enjoying all we have to offer. We don't feel that staying less than 24 hours was giving us the opportunity to show our full potential, hence, why we have a two-night minimum. Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

I just returned from five days at Deerfield Spa. It is a warm, cozy and inviting retreat. The owner, Joan makes you feel like you are a guest in her own home. The food is beautifully prepared and tasty. I stayed in the Annex and had a lovely room. The classes are geared to whatever level you are comfortable with. Bingo night was great! I enjoyed my massage with Cynthia. I made great friends, everyone gets along! High recommend it!

Room Tip: I would recommend the Annex - I understand the rooms and the showers are larger, than staying in the...
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
DeerfieldSpa52558, Public Relations Manager at Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2016

We are so glad to hear you had a great visit. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2016

I love Deerfield. Being there is like wearing a comfortable pair of slippers and being covered with a soft blanket. It's my "go to" place and even though I vacation with hubby 1-2x a year (cruise, Caribbean), being @ Deerfield is really my favorite. A friend and I go every fall, it's a perfect place to relax, be yourself and just "be". There are different exercises class every hour if you choose, a beautiful outdoor pool and jacuzzi and wonderful spa services offered. The service is personalized and even though this isn't a fancy place, the staff caters to whatever you need. The food is prepared nutritiously and tastefully and the environment is homey and rustic. If you're looking for glamour and fancy, this isn't for you. But if you want a very casual "home away from home", you found it at Deerfield. The owner Joan is hands on, friendly and a very special person. She is the heart and soul of Deerfield, and will go out of her way to make you feel important.

Room Tip: The site is self explanatory, it's a very small place, everything is a stones throw away
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank skrys

We are glad to hear you enjoy your visits to Deerfield, and that you think of it as your "home away from home." We hope to see you soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
10.3 km away
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg POCONOS
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg P...
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
8.3 km away
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
11.9 km away
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
10.8 km away
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center

Been to Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK