“A Vacation You Can Look In The Mirror After”

Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Usually when I get home from a vacation I'm exhausted, bloated, and I reek of smoke and beer. This was NOT that kind of vacation - thankfully.

My boyfriend and I where looking for a quiet place in the woods to get away from our stressful jobs and that's exactly what we got. It's a quaint little house in the Poconos with knickknacks, floral curtains and an adorable staff. Imagine if Juliette Gordon Lowe and Richard Simmons had a love child - like that.

One or two of the guests were expecting a luxury experience - which I can only assume means they did not know how to read and/or use the internet.

Since it's so small almost every activity was less than 5 people and often completely private. I loved the cardio classes which were middle of the road in terms of difficulty while my boyfriend preferred the weight room (surprise surprise). We both loved hiking - they drive you to the really nice PA maintained trails. We also took advantage of a couples massage that was just a beautiful experience.

It was mostly single ladies there but the ladies we met were totally awesome. A nice refreshing change from the snotty attitude of Fairfield County, CT where we live. We ran into two other couples so my boyfriend wasn't the only one sporting a Y chromosome while we were there.

My main goal was to quit smoking but since most people gain weight when they quit and I was already teetering on obesity I wanted to be careful. A month and half later I can proudly say both MISSIONS ACCOMPLISHED. I'm nicotine clean and down 20lbs (9lbs of which I lost during my week at Deerfield, although I wouldn't say that was typical, my boyfriend didn't lose any).

Overall I'm so glad I went. Best way to quit smoking ever.

Room Tip: The annex doesn't have WIFI!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jana U

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Only spent two days there, yet came away feeling calm, relaxed and motivated to add more exercise to my life. The property is small, simple and the staff is more than accomodating. I was actually surprised by how friendly my welcome was (reception at other spas I've been to was gloomy, at best). Deerfield offers plenty of exercise options from which to choose (my fav was the pool classes); massage & other spa services (that my friends enjoyed very much), and evening activities like origami & bingo. Food was healthful and served in appropriate portions (which is small for some), but you can request additional items from their menu. There are lots of comfy areas where you can sit & read including a large front porch with rockers. Though my stay cost a tad more than I prefer, for a quick getaway, I will definitely return. The reason? The wonderful staff and my coming away with a more positive attitude about life.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, but charming. I shared a bath, down the hall, which might not be great if you wake...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank GinaDawn2012
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I just returned from a short stay at the Deerfield Spa and am already looking to going back! The spa is located near the DE Water Gap just over the New Jersey border in PA. The spa is a more of a budget spa, so it you are looking for Canyon Ranch and uber-fancy, this may not be for you. But if you are looking to relax, recharge and be in a wonderful atmosphere then this is the right spot.
The best part about the spa are the people- staff and guests. Everyone could not be nicer. (We kept asking what was in the air or water) The staff is so warm and friendly. All the guests know them by name and they know all of the guests. People have been coming back for years, so that is always a good sign and it gives a very warm and friendly atmosphere to the entire place. The guests sit with each other at every meal, so you get to know the different people staying there. This is also good because they help you order your different meals. The food is calorie conscious, but the different guests will tell you how to order extras to make it better (add grilled veggies to the turkey burger). The coffee is not the best, but one of the guests made a Dunkin Donuts coffee run and brought a box back for everyone to share.
We were there during fall, so the leaves were changing colors in the area and it was beautiful. We went on 2 half day hikes. The intermediate level hike was beautiful and we saw a small waterfall and amazing views of the Pocono mountains. The classes are fun and the instructors accommodate all levels without judgement. If you want you can also use the gym solo. They also heat the outdoor pool so you can actually use it in Oct.
The rooms were small but clean. We stayed in the main house, so I think the rooms are smaller than the annex. It was fine but a bit tight. I will say it is an older property and the acoustics are not the best. Sound does travel, so you do hear creaks and people walking by. We were located above the kitchen, so we could hear the noise from the kitchen staff preparing meals. The shower was also not the highest pressure, but it was fine.
I only had one massage, but it was great. My therapist was very good and also very nice. Often I feel like having multiple treatments at spas, but I was so relaxed I didn't even feel the need to pile on treatments (maybe next time).
Deerfield Spa really is a place you don't want to leave. We already decided we wanted to go back before we left. Don't believe the bad reviews, this place is great and it really is the place to go to get away from it all to rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit.

Room Tip: The rooms in the annex are supposed to be larger than those in the main house. I stayed in the main...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank ms247grl
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Are you a walking automaton going through the workaday or everyday stresses of life? Deep down you know you need something. But, you are giving, you are dedicated, you are "reliable."

Well, snap out of it. Here is what you do. Right now. Pencil into next year's calendar for 2012: "week at Deerfield Spa!"

Why? It's simple. The work weary, life weary come here and find pampering in a relaxing setting for body, mind, soul.

The Deerfield in is a quick trip from Manhattan, D.C. and generally most areas in the tri state region, without the hassle of a plane trip! Centrally, located in eastern, PA, Deerfield is a spa that caters to its clientele with one thing in mind: good old fashioned customer service.

From the minute you arrive, the friendly, cheerful, and helpful attitude sets the tone of your entire stay. All of the staff are working hard to live up to a tacit, core idea: " do everything you can to make our guests comfortable, welcome, and at home."

And, they do!

What does the guest receive? A wonderful stay at a homespun health spa. And the opportunity to make friends for a lifetime.

As I journeyed to the spa, I read a recent and negative review to my husband who was driving me. "Oh dear, I said, this review is terrible!"

But that reviewer's experience was, I think, out of the ordinary.

My meals were fantastic. I was never hungry. Is it Cafe Boulud? No, but I did not come to eat mashed potatoes bathed in butter and dotted with chives. I came for well balanced, thoughtful spa cuisine, and that is what I got! And, what might that be? Well, a wonderful dinner began with an autumn salad smiling with an edible bright orange nasturtium as an example. This, followed by delicious grilled fish, roasted eggplant and zucchini and a baked sweet potato hit the spot! And, what's this? Ah, a perfect little cupcake for desert. Not too big, but satisfying. And, the same fare was standard throughout the visit with calorie counts clearly posted. The average day: 1200 calories. And, I, like all I spoke with, was never hungry!

I found the instructors who did the workouts very good and very engaging, I always broke a sweat. Were we broken down like Demi in GI Jane? No. Did we have thoughtful, challenging workouts? Yes!

The rooms are not on the short list for a feature in Dwell as furnished by West Elm, and that's ok. They are more late Laura Ashley which fits with the homespun charm of Deerfield. All is totally unpretentious. The beds are comfortable, and the bathrooms well furnished and clean. A fluffy, comfy spa robe hangs in the closet. But bring your own slippers. The reason costs are unbelievably low here is because overhead is carefully watched while delivering maximum benefits. Joan, the owner, does a superb job managing her facility and staff.

And, here is a little extra. What's the one thing you can't buy? Well, that would be love! And yet, at Deerfield, the twelve of us who moved through the days from meal to meal and table to table developed friendships that will last long beyond our brief stay at Deerfield. It's true, people do return over and over to Deerfield. People even have reunions in New York between stays.

Now, that's impressive.

So, as I said. Pencil it in. "Spring: 2012. Reminder. 'In answer to your ad, Desperately Seeking! I would like to book a stay!'"

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank lilimarlene1
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Deerfield is clearly not a 'glitzy spa" so if that is what a guest wants, it is not the place nor is it for those who spend hours daily in their local gym: - however, it is your 'home away from home' if you need either a peaceful retreat or to be re-energized (or both). I try to go at least once a year and this year was only able to stay for 5 days wishing I had 10 days available. The friendliness of the staff is amazing - it never ceases to surprise me that after a year, they all remember my face and many my name, the masseurs even remember my various aches. The accommodations are clean and comfortable (not posh) - I always stay in the main house which brings back memories of visits to New England relatives in the 1950s-60's. It is also reminiscent of summer camp (but with much better food). The best of a stay at Deerfield is that you never leave without adding at least one more friend to your address book.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Stroudsmoor Country Inn
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
10.3 km away
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg POCONOS
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg P...
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
8.3 km away
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
11.9 km away
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
10.8 km away
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center

Been to Deerfield Health Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK