“Snotty establishment”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I found the majority of the staff to be snotty....the Mennonite hostess was complaining to another employee about a customer and ignored us waiting to be seated. Once sat...I waited at the table while the rest of my party went up to get food... to pass time I checked my voicemail (holding the phone up to my ear) a woman came up to me and scolded me like I was 4, informing me of their "no talking on the phone policy". I wasn't talking on the phone I was checking on my voicemail, however I can see to her how it would have looked like it...I appreciate the policy because I agree with it, however, I feel her approach was poor...there was no gentle voice saying "excuse me" it was a harsh "WE DON'T ALLOW PHONE CALLS IN THE DINNER AREA, YOU NEED TO CONTINUE IT THE LOBBY NOW" when I informed her I was just checking my voicemail...there was no apology...it was an "oh" and walked away. Embarrassing and left a poor impression of the establishment. Been here more than once and I find the food mediocre and have found some of the staff to be snotty other times as well especially when it comes to their birthday dinner policy....look out.....after the most recent experience...will not be back.

2  Thank MrsJZH

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We have been eating here for a while over the years. The selection is large, food is hot for the most part and of middle of the road quality. It is not fine dining and but average comfort foods. My personal favorite is the breakfast buffet. At our last visit I can’t put my finger on it, but something was off/different. It wasn’t bad, just it didn’t seem the same. Maybe it was due to it being Good Friday. As an avid traveler it will be awhile before we have the opportunity to return, but we will be back, to see if that “off” feeling persists. After that we’ll make our long term decision about returning. For first time visitors, be prepared for large crowds and a little jostling at the buffet. The price is reasonable and there is ample parking. Keep in mind that you may have to wait in line both to pay and be seated at peak times.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

After the Production Show of Jesus, my daughter suggested one of her favorite buffet in Dutch Country--Shady Maple Restaurant! What a treat for all! service was great, and the food outstanding with something for all, including non-alcoholic drinks with the price! Our directions to the place took us thru the scenes of the working farms of the Pa Dutch which was a reminder of how work use to be done! Our scenic tour was enhanced by good weather which was also a treat!

1  Thank Virgo427
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

IMHO their breakfast buffet is the best buffet they serve. Extensive choices, made to order pancakes, waffles and eggs including Eggs Benedict or Florentine, omelets. Go hungry!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

An intimate dining experience with 600 other people. We tried this restaurant based on word of mouth about the Lancaster County icon. Although it does feature good old fashioned Amish style food, it is a buffet style establishment. We stood in line for 20 minutes waiting to pre-pay for the meal, then stood another 10 minutes waiting for a table to open up. There is quite a diverse array of foods and the desserts are delicious but the total ambience is one of overweight and obese people ill dressed and crammed into one large cafeteria. There are shoppes to visit next door but we arrived at 6PM and they roll the sidewalks up out there by 7PM. The one good thing about eating later is that we were able to purchase some baked goods to take home at half price. I don't have to go back again.

1  Thank candycorn1