“GLORY HALLELUJAH”
Review of Filet of Soul

Filet of Soul
Ranked #17 of 74 Restaurants in Downingtown
Reviewed 4 September 2016

Don't wait; go now. GO NOW. GO TO FILET OF SOUL. NOW.

BACKGROUND: My husband and I, both North-South-North transports, moved from a state with a huge population of people hailing from all over the Caribbean. Moreover, being a southern state, there were plenty of so-called soul food places to be found: good fried chicken, BBQ, greens, etc. When we moved to Chester County, we found ourselves lost as to options for most of these foods. Sure, Philly's got everything, but what if you figure out you want some jerk chicken at 8 PM on a weeknight? I can't be the only one that happens to.

EXPERIENCES: We've been to Filet of Soul twice now and I can't speak highly enough of them. The first time, I had the fried chicken and my husband had the jerk chicken--both fantastic. The fried chicken had a great scald on it; the jerk chicken was falling off the bone. The other night, we came in again, this time for oxtails (me) and BBQ chicken and ribs (husband).

QUALITY: When I tell you that I basically had a culinary religious experience with these oxtails, I'm not even joking. I'm by no means an expert on oxtails, but I've had them now at about 5 places run by people who know, and these were hands-down the best I've had. Tender, skillfully seasoned...everything I know to be the best things about oxtails. It was heaven.

VALUE: And can we talk about portions here? Because if you think you're going to come here and get some rinky-dink plate and feel like you paid too much, please check yourself. Oxtails and beans on a mound of rice and peas PLUS two sides PLUS complimentary hush puppies. If you leave hungry, it is your fault.

SERVICE: In case you didn't know and needed to ask somebody, Lisa Morris is a longstanding queen of food. She had a restaurant in NYC called Kwanzaa that people basically had joyous breakdowns over in the 90s. Besides the fact that she is a restaurant queen, she is a warm, welcoming presence that will ask you herself if you're enjoying your meal--not once, but at least three times. And the rest of the staff is just as sweet, and has just as much pride in this place and the food.

IN CONCLUSION: GO. EAT. THE FOOD. This place should be jumping every night. They should have a line out the door. GO MAKE THAT HAPPEN.

And Ms. Morris, if you're out there reading, THANK YOU, and if you have a Jamaican goat curry recipe and ever feel like putting that on the menu, I don't know what I might do.

1  Thank Heather B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Filet of Soul

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Finally made it to this restaurant last night. What an amazing meal. There were so many options it was difficult to make a decision. We shared a sweet and tangy shrimp appetizer, which was delicious. My husband ordered the rib platter and I ordered chicken and waffles. Our sides were collard greens, Mac and cheese and fried plantains. Everything was cooked perfectly with fantastic tastes. We ordered a chicken curry for take out and had a small taste when we got home, another winner! This restaurant is a hidden gem, the owners truly care about their customers and the food they serve and giving back to the community. Another bonus, it's BYOB. We will definitely return!

Reviewed 28 July 2016

This is a great place to go when you just want Real food. The atmosphere is great alone or with children. This place has great music and also BYOB. The owners are hard working, as I could tell by the service.

1  Thank Patricia P
Reviewed 26 July 2016

In retrospect, we're kicking ourselves for the number of times we've driven past this restaurant without giving it any notice. My husband and I had the pleasure of dining here last week and it was by far the best food we've had in the area since we moved here four years ago.

I ordered the fried chicken with red velvet waffles and a side of mac and cheese. The fried chicken was crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside and seasoned wonderfully. The waffles were some how crisp and soft at the same time. The mac and cheese was as good as my grandma's. My husband had the smothered pork chops with seasoned rice along with a side of mac and cheese and sweet potato fries. The gravy was flavorful, the pork was super tender, and the rice was delicious. Even the hush puppies and cornbread that came before the meals were delicious. Everything was cooked perfectly and we can't think of a single thing unsatisfactory with the food.

The ambiance is very sweet with the artwork on the walls and the bright blue paint. We also noticed that they have live jazz on Saturdays which sounds like a lot of fun. The service was also very kind and professional. One more thing to note that was a bit out of the box for us was that they were playing Christian music over the speakers - not a problem, just something you may want to know about prior!

I really wish they'd invest in a storefront sign because they deserve more business. These guys are doing it right. If you're looking for some tasty cuisine, definitely check out Filet Of Soul.

1  Thank jbloome521
Reviewed 21 May 2016

Great food. More of a take out place. Great cuisine. I work often in Maryland where they really get into Southern /Soul. This certainly compares to that. Staff is nice. Just a bit pricey... but nice. Take an empty stomach.

The sit down area is more cafeteria style... metal chairs and tables. But wonderful food.. a very nice change of pace in the area.