All reviews amusement park love hotel ghost stories adjoining rooms double bed rooms are small place to sleep ghost lake lounge
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I have no doubt in my mind that Hotel Conneaut was absolutely amazing 100 years ago. It is a beautiful big old building, with big porches overlooking a beautiful lake. there are chairs set up on the porches and you can sit and watch the sun set - it's beautiful. The inside of the hotel... it's in need of some updating.

You enter into a beautiful lobby with a big staircase up to the hotel rooms. There are banquet rooms on the ground floor that host weddings, and I'm sure they're beautiful.
Some rooms, I am led to believe, have been updated and are beautiful. The room that we stayed in was a bit more... rustic. The room that we stayed in had two double beds, each one pushed up against the wall, with about 2 feet in between. There was a dresser with a TV on it (that we couldn't make work) and exactly three outlets in the room - one for the TV, one under the bed, and one in the bathroom. We charged our phones in the bathroom. The beds are not fancy memory foam -- they're old spring mattresses, the kind that your grandmother has in her spare bedroom. The beds were made with really tacky bedspreads and scratchy blankets. But, they were clean! The bathroom had a shower, toilet and sink. The sink still had separate hot and cold faucets. I hadn't seen one of those in a decade at least! It was also really low to the ground, which was a bit strange... There were pipes in the ceiling where plaster was missing - you can tell that the bathrooms were added to the rooms probably once indoor plumbing became popular... The transom above the door still had the hardware to open it, but it was screwed shut.

The entire hallway was decorated with creepy old pictures and there were chairs and sitting areas in the hallways. Oddly there were ramps in the hallways. it was weird. You could film the shining in this place.

Now, that said, it was pleasant. The desk staff was very friendly. They sell books about hauntings and were happy to let me leaf through them. They had a little continental breakfast in the morning (apparently there's a hot breakfast on saturday & sunday morning). The hotel is located right at the Conneaut Lake Park amusement park, which is an interesting place to say the least.

I really hope that the hotel can modernize and stay in business, because it's a really neat old building!

Room Tip: No elevators, so keep that in mind!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2017

The hotel is charming with its old style look of yesteryear. Very good bargain with a comp breakfast the next morning. Entertainment in the lounge, and a beautiful view of the lake. Its location is great being there in the amusement park. Took a ride on the thrilling Blue Streak coaster and enjoyed the beach. Do not need your car until it is time to go. You got everything right there!!

Room Tip: Room facing the lake
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chooch C
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Tiny rooms. No room to use the toilet. Bugs under sheets. Food under bed. Patio full of spiders. Lake front filthy and construction debris and trash laying out. Mattress had hardly any padding and was very short. Friendly staff. Returned our money with no hassle.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TysonB201
Reviewed 10 July 2017

We spent the weekend there for a wedding. The reception was beautifully done, good food- excellent vegetables and asiago chicken. Wonderful dance floor.
Hotels old and needs millions to make it a Homestead or Greenbrier. But our room was $90 so we knew not to expect that.
Our room was clean, look recently painted,good hot water and water pressure. airconditioned (it was on high but worked-temp during the day only got to 79). shampoo and soap. Dont think there was a hair dryer. I took my own. No refrigerator or safe (but not much concern about theft) or microwave or coffee maker. There was coffee and tea available most of the time (if not 24/7) in the lobby. No elevator. Had to drive my 97 year old Dad down to (free on Sat and Sun) breakfast or walk him around the building. Reception was on the same floor as the lobby and our rooms which worked out well. He needed a shower he could walk into. Our room had a shower in a tub so you had to be able to step over the tub, and there were no grab bars. Not a problem if you know in advance. Wonderful porches (but they need to get the cob webs down as they make it look even shabbier). Plenty or space to sit and visit. Lunch was ok. Park food available if you walk a tenth or so of a mile. Parking a challenge at the hotel and if you drive to the back first you'll wonder what you're getting into (we could see broken window pane). Worn carpets
The park is right there and for $10 a day the water park or $10 for the rides was worth it. Pony rides were 'long' 1/$5 2/$8. Or you could do the roller coaster which was fun at 1/$3 or 2/$5 or all day.
No pool at the hotel and the beach was off limits- the whole lake was. Too much e coli. Thats not the hotels fault and I hope they clean that up. They are really trying at the hotel but that will ruin everything.
The bar had karaoke and was well attended . Much to the chagrin of people with rooms on that side. I'd say the first floor in the back of the hotel was the best (ours was 84 Dads 76). Both our rooms had bay windows but most dont.
we never got room cleaning, despite Dad putting out the maid sign. No new towels or made up bed.

Room Tip: Not sure all are air-conditioned yet. Ask dont assume anything
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank drsusansmith2016
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Our small room was comfortable & very clean. My greyhound & I were only able to stay for one night in the middle of the week this visit & the room size was just fine. If you are not traveling with a smaller companion, you might want to consider one of the larger rooms. The Lounge food is very good. I only ordered a 1/2 order of the nachos which was still a lot; the presentation was colorful & very fresh. I sat at the bar & saw other food leaving the kitchen, all of which looked wonderful. The staff was very helpful & friendly. Overall, peaceful & quiet place. Great for kayakers & anyone who values their solitude & space for quiet reflection. I just wish they offered more multi-day packages.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo