The Pennsbury Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We wanted to get away for a couple of days to visit Longwood Gardens, Winterthur and the Brandywine Museum and to enjoy evenings at local inns. The Pennsbury Inn was perfect for us in terms of location and comfort, and we loved the hospitality and the charm of the inn. The proprietors couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The Lafayette room was perfect for us.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Cheryl G, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

We are so glad that you enjoyed being here as much as we enjoyed having you, here.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

It is hard to write a less than stellar review on a property but travelers need to know a few things about this place. The first thing you will notice is a property which has seen little maintenance for at least the last 10 years. It is in major need of certain repairs... The gardens and landscape in general are decrepit although once very beautiful. The road noise is outrageous and hardly ever ceases... As you enter the inn you will see an eclectic and unmanaged bunch of things lying around for decorations. The big kicker is the inn keeper. He will not want to engage with you in casual conversation and seems very hesitant to answer questions.... He really should not be an inn keeper....The dog was the only saving grace and he was willing to sit on your lap and at least look at you....Also there are a number of video cameras set up through the house which gave me an uneasy feeling. By the fireplace there are 2 looking at you....The room was fairly comfortable although the very small antiquated tube tv took me by surprise so take your iPad.....If there is no where else to stay then stay here....

Room Tip: You don't have much choice here
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank brpinskey
Cheryl G, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I wish you had given more detail as to what maintenance needs you saw as we just had two inspections, did a few requested repairs and passed the re-inspection with no problem. As you can see from other reviews, there is some disagreement as to how my gardens present. You say they were once beautiful, well considering that almost all of the rooms in the house have vases full of hydrangeas, daisies, black eyed susans, liatris and more, all from my gardens, there must be some beauty left. Needless to say, a four-acre garden takes a good deal of work but Luis and I do our best and are often praised highly for the results. As far as my interior décor, I’m afraid that there is no way to please everyone’s taste. We make no secret of the fact that we’re on Rte. 1, the route that Washington took to the largest battle of the revolution. You had a white noise machine in your room and we could have offered other aids, if you’d only asked. I’m so sorry that you didn’t sleep well, but I’m not sure what else we could have done. I’m so glad that you at least enjoyed Tucker! I’ll let Chip finish this response.
Since you didn’t engage us with any of these issues while you were here, and could have received an answer or gotten corrections, I assume you are speaking our future guests, with your concerns. And not to us. Therefore, I too will speak directly to those who might read your review.
I could simply stand on the myriad reviews that we receive, on this and other platforms, that say that Cheryl and I are helpful, delightful, informative, etc. ( Many descriptions are available, you can read the other reviews. )
These two folks were the last down for breakfast each day and I was often already cleaning up from other guests when I served them. I know I answered any questions they had and gave advice.
When they first arrived, they sat, we talked and I offered, during our overview a tour of the house, and told them what times we are usually busy. We are primarily a two-man operation and as anyone who stays in bed and breakfasts knows, there is a lot to be done. Innkeepers are busy. Sitting and chatting is something I do depending on how many guests we have and when guests present themselves for such a chat.
They stayed here two nights and came back late each night. I go to bed at 9:30 so I can be asleep by ten and up the next day at 5:30.
I did leave the room as he sat there playing with the dog, one night, but only to finish my chores and get to bed.
Because they came down after the others had had breakfast, the last day, they didn’t get the explanation about the video cameras. Again, a simple question would have gotten them the answer.
As soon as they left Cheryl and I started our vacation. We literally left 2 hours after they did. During breakfast that day, the other guests helped me place the cameras (which are usually outside and help us know when deer or “varmints” get in to the garden). Each guest got to decide where Tucker (the dog) slept the most while they were here – so we could place the cameras, to see him when we were on vacation. We leave him here with the housekeeper and garden worker who do extensive work while there are no guests to bother. But, by strategically placing the cameras, we can check up on Tucker too while we are gone. Again, the guests and I had fun deciding on the positioning of the cameras. And I would have obviously shared that info if asked.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

This was our first stay at the Pennsbury Inn. We live about 50 miles away and planned to view the new Longwood Gardens Fountains evening show. not wanting to drive home afterward we decided to spend the night nearby.

The Inn is conveniently located close to Longwood Gardens. When we arrived we had some time before we left for dinner and decided to sit outside in the gardens. We watched the butterflies all around the bushes and sat near one of the ponds. Very relaxing.

Our room was in the oldest part of the property and very clean. I saw other reviews critical of the amount of "clutter" or "nicknacks" in the rooms. Our room did have an abundance of items, like 3 pitcher/bowl sets and antique furniture but I was not bothered by this, just felt a little overwhelmed.

When returned after the show the bed was turned down with cookies placed on the bed and soft music playing. Very nice.

One of the things I enjoy about B&B's is the breakfast. I enjoy the meal and make a variety for my self. Generally the breakfast is something that I would not make for myself. I guess this was my only disappointment. A tortilla with egg, pepper, mushrooms, onion. Taste was OK, but frankly I make this for myself and it was not the type of meal I usually have at a B&B.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Cheryl G, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Jim, I'm sorry that we didn't meet while you were here, but I'm glad that you enjoyed my gardens and bedtime snack. I'm so sorry that you were not pleased with my egg wrap as it's my second most requested breakfast by returning guests. I've made note of that in my reservation book and will do my best to please you in the future!

Reviewed 27 July 2017

Needed a conveniently located B&B while visiting Longwood Gardens, Winterthur and the Brandywine River Museum. Pennsbury Inn certainly suited that requirement with all those attractions within a five to 15 minute drive. Our hosts were convivial and accomodating. Our room (The Four Seasons) was clean and had all the required amenities. The bed was very firm, just the way we like it. Breakfast was excellent. All in all we had a very pleasant stay and can recommend the Pennsbury Inn without hesitation.

Stayed: July 2017
Cheryl G, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Thank you so much for all of your kind words. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Remember there's lots more to see and do in our beautiful Brandywine Valley, so we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

You could not ask for better hosts than Chip and Cheryl. They are always available, friendly and accommodating . The rooms are all very cute and the food is amazing! 2 miles from Longwood garden. You must visit !!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
weigandygoose, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Wow! A great big THANK YOU, to you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chadds Ford
5.4 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
3.3 km away
Fairville Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK