All reviewslongwood gardensbrandywine valleybusy roadfour nightsdaniel websterenjoyed our staybed and breakfastcookieshome away from hometuckerhostscomfortaccommodations
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Pennsbury Inn. The oldest part was built in 1714, and it is very nicely appointed in keeping with its history. The grounds were a wonderful surprise; although it's on a main road and very convenient to local attractions (Winterthur, Brandywine River Art Museum, Longwood Gardens), there are 4 or so acres of peaceful wildlife-friendly gardens. We stayed in a front room, but the road noise was not a problem for us; if it is, there is a "white noise" machine in the room. Dogs are allowed here with the innkeepers' approval, which was wonderful. Another couple had brought their sweet Golden, and the innkeepers have a friendly lap dog; this ameliorated our homesickness for our own dogs. Cheryl and Chip are welcoming, and think about the little things that travelers might need. Do you want to read in bed? There is a book light on the nightstand. Would you like something cold to take out for a day of sightseeing? They provide bottles, a water cooler, and soft drinks. There was a sweet treat waiting for us before bedtime each evening, and breakfast was ample and yummy.

Room Tip: A room in the back would be quieter, but we didn't have a problem with noise in our front room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Avaggio
weigandygoose, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

How nice to have someone point out those little extras, that if you need them make your stay so much more pleasant. I also appreciate hearing about anything else that will make the Pennsbbury Inn your favorite, hideaway.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I spent a relaxing 3 nights here. The garden and grounds are so relaxing and pleasant! Chip and Cheryl are friendly and helpful...and we really enjoyed Tucker, the adorable "guard dog"! It's a great place to stay as it's near a number of destinations like Winterthur, Longwood Gardens, and the Brandywine battlefield. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the inn are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We will eagerly look forward to your return visit and Tucker is especially fond of your pats and rubs and asked me to tell you to hurry back!!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for the 2 nights that we visited local attractions. Cheryl and Chip were gracious hosts, making reservations for us and providing some local color. The grounds and gardens are beautiful and the breakfasts are very generous. Our room was in the oldest section of the house up a narrow, winding staircase ... Just what we wanted. Would not hesitate to return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
weigandygoose, General Manager at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

This reviewer is certainly right, the Pennsbury Inn is not as good as it could be, but I believe that can probably be said of any business, or any person in fact. Don't we all strive to be and do better every day? I know I do.

I'm not sure why Chip microwaved the waffles and he shouldn't have. I stay up till 3 or 4:00 making some the waffles and freeze them. Chip normally just pops those into a 300 degree oven, and they come out, puffed and crisp. He then has a head start and can continue making them. I do it that way, because even with 2 waffle makers going, it's impossible to feed a dozen or more people in a timely fashion. I know that most B&B's do not make Belgian waffles for that very reason. Believe me, if I took them off the menu, I would have very disappointed guests. I have spoken to Chip about the microwaving, which he doesn't remember doing, but will not do again. Thank you for the tip on the smoothies-he will remember in the future, when guests don't come down when they're expected, to put them back in the refrigerator. A hazard of being flexible and serving breakfast when the guests want it and not having certain hours.

You're right, entering into our office area, as we don't have a secretary, is not the best, but we do provide a love seat and two comfortable chairs to sit in while you register. There are four other parlors for our guests to relax in, a front porch, 4 acres of gardens and a patio, as well as their rooms. We could spend more time, sifting through the huge volume of junk mail and putting away shipments, but wouldn't you rather have us show you around, explain the history of the house and point out all of the things that we provide to increase your comfort and knowledge of the area?

I'm certainly glad that the road noise didn't bother you and glad that you appreciatedYour help with that.You're right being 3 minutes from Longwood Gardens is a delight. That may have something to do with my desire to have my own "little" Longwood Gardens, in my back yard.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My sister-in-law and I had a delightful one night stay here in mid-May. The well kept gardens and grounds were absolutely beautiful, and the inn lived up to its promised historic flavor. Yes, the stairs are narrow and winding, and as Chip led us to our room (the Lafayette) we marveled at his determination and cheerful demeanor in spite of dealing with a cane and unexpected setback after a recent hip replacement! Once settled, these hosts are there if you need or want them, and non-intrusive if you don't. There are several cozy common sitting areas for quiet reading, conversation, or relaxing. We loved the special bedtime chocolate treat left in our room, coffee and tea readily available at 7:30 am, and the beautifully-presented, delicious breakfast which was served at a time to accommodate our schedule. The special seniors' rate, help with tickets to Longwood Gardens, and proximity to Winterthur and other local attractions (along with helpful information on places to visit, time needed, etc.) was a much-appreciated bonus. We would recommend this inn to anyone looking for historic character and comfort.

Room Tip: The grounds and gardens in the back of the inn are so beautiful, I would think a room overlooking them would be wonderful! As it happened, our room was on the front side (we had no issues with traffic noise at all) and we loved the historic feeling of the room and narrow winding stairs leading to it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joyce D
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Wonderful weekend getaway for our 40th wedding anniversary. Great hosts, rooms, breakfasts, and grounds conveniently located to everything. We booked the Winterthur room and were not disappointed. Very comfortable, clean, spacious, private and quiet with wonderful view of gardens. Plus we had a SleepNumber bed which was a pleasant surprise. Yes, the Pennsbury is located close to a major road, but we didn't find the traffic or noise to be a negative at all. Chip and Cheryl were most accommodating, non-intrusive, and breakfasts were delicious. Would recommend and plan to re-book.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan W
weigandygoose, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

I have to admit that I might have kinda-sorta bribed this guest because he wanted my recipe for Cranberry Almond Caramel Pancakes and I sorta-kinda mentioned that I wished guests would take the time to do a review.

I’m so glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you. We would certainly love to have you stay again and by the way, enjoy the pancakes!!