All reviews longwood gardens brandywine valley busy road four nights daniel webster enjoyed our stay bed and breakfast cookies home away from home tucker hosts comfort accommodations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for the 2 nights that we visited local attractions. Cheryl and Chip were gracious hosts, making reservations for us and providing some local color. The grounds and gardens are beautiful and the breakfasts are very generous. Our room was in the oldest section of the house up a narrow, winding staircase ... Just what we wanted. Would not hesitate to return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
weigandygoose, General Manager at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

This reviewer is certainly right, the Pennsbury Inn is not as good as it could be, but I believe that can probably be said of any business, or any person in fact. Don't we all strive to be and do better every day? I know I do.

I'm not sure why Chip microwaved the waffles and he shouldn't have. I stay up till 3 or 4:00 making some the waffles and freeze them. Chip normally just pops those into a 300 degree oven, and they come out, puffed and crisp. He then has a head start and can continue making them. I do it that way, because even with 2 waffle makers going, it's impossible to feed a dozen or more people in a timely fashion. I know that most B&B's do not make Belgian waffles for that very reason. Believe me, if I took them off the menu, I would have very disappointed guests. I have spoken to Chip about the microwaving, which he doesn't remember doing, but will not do again. Thank you for the tip on the smoothies-he will remember in the future, when guests don't come down when they're expected, to put them back in the refrigerator. A hazard of being flexible and serving breakfast when the guests want it and not having certain hours.

You're right, entering into our office area, as we don't have a secretary, is not the best, but we do provide a love seat and two comfortable chairs to sit in while you register. There are four other parlors for our guests to relax in, a front porch, 4 acres of gardens and a patio, as well as their rooms. We could spend more time, sifting through the huge volume of junk mail and putting away shipments, but wouldn't you rather have us show you around, explain the history of the house and point out all of the things that we provide to increase your comfort and knowledge of the area?

I'm certainly glad that the road noise didn't bother you and glad that you appreciatedYour help with that.You're right being 3 minutes from Longwood Gardens is a delight. That may have something to do with my desire to have my own "little" Longwood Gardens, in my back yard.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My sister-in-law and I had a delightful one night stay here in mid-May. The well kept gardens and grounds were absolutely beautiful, and the inn lived up to its promised historic flavor. Yes, the stairs are narrow and winding, and as Chip led us to our room (the Lafayette) we marveled at his determination and cheerful demeanor in spite of dealing with a cane and unexpected setback after a recent hip replacement! Once settled, these hosts are there if you need or want them, and non-intrusive if you don't. There are several cozy common sitting areas for quiet reading, conversation, or relaxing. We loved the special bedtime chocolate treat left in our room, coffee and tea readily available at 7:30 am, and the beautifully-presented, delicious breakfast which was served at a time to accommodate our schedule. The special seniors' rate, help with tickets to Longwood Gardens, and proximity to Winterthur and other local attractions (along with helpful information on places to visit, time needed, etc.) was a much-appreciated bonus. We would recommend this inn to anyone looking for historic character and comfort.

Room Tip: The grounds and gardens in the back of the inn are so beautiful, I would think a room overlooking them would be wonderful! As it happened, our room was on the front side (we had no issues with traffic noise at all) and we loved the historic feeling of the room and narrow winding stairs leading to it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joyce D
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Wonderful weekend getaway for our 40th wedding anniversary. Great hosts, rooms, breakfasts, and grounds conveniently located to everything. We booked the Winterthur room and were not disappointed. Very comfortable, clean, spacious, private and quiet with wonderful view of gardens. Plus we had a SleepNumber bed which was a pleasant surprise. Yes, the Pennsbury is located close to a major road, but we didn't find the traffic or noise to be a negative at all. Chip and Cheryl were most accommodating, non-intrusive, and breakfasts were delicious. Would recommend and plan to re-book.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan W
weigandygoose, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

I have to admit that I might have kinda-sorta bribed this guest because he wanted my recipe for Cranberry Almond Caramel Pancakes and I sorta-kinda mentioned that I wished guests would take the time to do a review.

I’m so glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you. We would certainly love to have you stay again and by the way, enjoy the pancakes!!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A charming old Inn although somewhat surprised to find it on a major road. Our room (Longwood) with twin beds was very cosy and with a good sized bathroom. However it was at the front of the house so a lot of traffic noise - ear plugs needed. Also be aware the stairs up to the rooms are very narrow and steep so care is needed. Cheryl and Chip were lovely hosts and one night lit a fire for us in a separate lounge where we could have a quiet drink. They also provided lots of information on what to see in the area and had discounted tickets for Longwood. Breakfasts were excellent looking out over the beautiful garden just coming into spring flowering.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the Inn faces a major road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank StargazerMelbourne
Cheryl G, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

I'm so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay here, and were willing to share your
views with others. I'm sorry that you didn't take advantage of the white noise machine in your room, the sound of ocean surf or rainfall would have been more preferable than ear plugs, I believe.

Chip and I always find it amusing that people are surprised that a c.1714 home would have a steep, narrow winder staircase and that 150 years later, in a new addition, there still would be a winder only less steep, & wider. It's interesting that engineers & architects, both have commented that the steps are no steeper than a modern staircase.

As far as being near a busy road, where else, but on the well known Road to Baltimore would a prominent Quaker family build a home. Of course later when expanded and turned into an inn, there was no better place for a successful inn to be.

Europeans respect antiquity, whereas Americans like to tear it down. I personally think it would be a shame to alter or move a home that has survived 300 years with beauty, grace and dignity.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Our room was spacious , lovely windows, clean, bathroom nice. Lots of hot water. we really enjoyed it
If you were in a room at the front, the traffic noise would very likely be an issue ( we were there on a Monday night, big trucks early morning, plenty of traffic)
The kitchen ( that you walk through and where your breakfast is made) needs a big clean
It is very cluttered in an accumulation of a lifetime, cosy sort of way, which will probably work for you, if you like that style
One of our hosts was very helpful, one not so
Much- a little regimented

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Sdbmhs

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your room and am very sorry that my kitchen offended you. It is cluttered, yes, but then again, baking breads, snacks, coffeecakes, etc. and preparing and cooking omelets, quiches, waffles, French toast and the like, for up to 18 guests a day, takes a lot of equipment and supplies, not to mention the fresh flower arrangements that I also assemble in the kitchen in the afternoons. By the way the kitchen is cleaned three times a day, after breakfast, after flower arranging and after snack preparation.
We could have taken part of the garden room to enlarge the kitchen, but then that would have cut down on our guests’ room to enjoy lounging in front of the walk-in fireplace in the winter and enjoying the gardens through the floor to ceiling windows in other seasons. We also could have closed the kitchen off, denying guest access, but we've learned that the majority of guests enjoy interacting with the innkeepers. Keep in mind having been in many restaurant and inn kitchens, you wouldn’t want to see what’s behind many “closed” doors.
I do apologize for the not-so-helpful & regimented host, but in pain from a hip replacement gone wrong, he does his best in a bad situation.