“Folks, it's a Super 8”

Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Folks, it's a Super 8”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This was a one night, "room" on our 10 day journey. It was meant to be a place to sleep and that's all it was. Clean, comfortable but outdated. Close to restaurants and the interstate. I will say the young man at the front desk was incredibly polite and friendly as we checked in and out.. The other desk help we saw, an older man, was not at all friendly or accommodating, although I did not witness it personally, just observing an interaction with another customer. If you want luxury, pampering and a mini-bar, this is not your place. But, I got this room on Hotwire for $45 and it was absolutely worth the price and I got what I expected..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Delaware Water Gap, PA
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This motel is on par with all Days Inn, Frontier Inn, and the same caliber of motels . . . minimal comforts. I paid $86 a night because it was "car show" prices. All Carlisle motels gouge on the price when there is an event like the Carlisle Kit car and Import car show". A show that gets smaller a more pathetic every year. Still motels take advantage of these events.
The Super 8; Stay away from room 123. The room looked more of a hide out for criminals. I asked to be move and was given room 115, a handicap room. Well, this was nice. Bigger bed and room and a color TV (some channels didn't have sound), a safe, fridge, and a coffee maker. The bathroom exhaust didn't work, but the A/C was great. The room was clean and comfortable. Basic motel creature comforts.
The staff was very nice, but don't believe everything they tell you. "No other room available." After I gave them the outrage guilt speech about room 123, Suprise! One just happened to be available. I'd stay there again, but not at $86/night. Oh, the ice machine is just outside room 115, I didn't mind too much

Room Tip: Book room 115. I told them about the TV.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We were in town for a conference and the friends in charge, not knowing the hotel, paid our stay here. From start to finish, it was NOT GOOD. I don't like giving bad reviews, but hopefully improvements will be made. Problems: I called to inform the desk clerk that we would not be arriving until the 2nd booked night in our stay, as we were in a nice hotel in Baltimore and had already paid for it. The clerk was rude, stating immediately, "You know you're getting charged for tonight anyway, right?"---that was my first concern. (Friends had booked through hotels.com and paid in advance). When we arrived the next night, the desk clerk was scattered and kept asking us for our credit card, but we showed her the confirmation info and that it had been paid. She then sends us to our room, and when we walk in, it was as though it had been ransacked. The room was never cleaned that day, and that was the room I was told the night before was booked to us, so they got double payment for that room---grrrr. We were then moved to another room. The bathroom was clean and adequate, the bed okay but only 2 pillows. Carpet very worn and the recliner in the room was broken, sloped downward and unusable. Couldn't WAIT to check out after our two nights here. Also, same desk clerk asked us as we were walking in on the last night "Will you guys be staying much longer?"---which we thought was an odd question. It was PAID, you already got away with us not being there one night, and we hadn't caused any disturbances (just my husband and I traveling). Also, when our room was cleaned, it was only the bathroom---the bed was never even made! This is a bare-bones motel and I don't recommend it. Didn't bother with the continental breakfast. We went across the street to Friendly's. (Unrelated note: there is NO good movie theater in Carlisle!! One old, small place with very few good current movies).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 4 May 2011

This was a second time there for the car show.Found the people very helpful and friendly.The location was great.Yes i am staying there again.Found them doing lots of upgrades which was nice,Rooms i have to say were very clean.Would recommend it to other people to stay there.Before we left we book again for next year.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
The Villages
Reviewed 28 April 2011

It's true that you get what you pay for. I don't expect a lot from a Super 8. But this one didn't even do that. We spent 4 days in Carlisle. When wecreturned yo our room on our first night, the had not Bren
serviced. Mentioned that at the front desk the next morning. When returning that night, the room had been cleaned. But when we returned the third evening, it had again not been serviced. Not only that, but there was no hot water for our shower that morning. Mentioned that ti the front desk and was told no one else had complained. Addionally, the breakfast offerings were far less than an average Super 8. We'll stay at the Days Inn across the road. Stayed there once before and had much better service. Guess we learned that at times the few extra dollars you try to savece is not the best way to
go.