New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Nice place but not worth the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Glendorn

The Lodge at Glendorn
Valley City, Ohio
“Nice place but not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I visited the Glendorn for our anniversary. We were not impressed because there were few amenitites and was charged a $ amount for each activity we did. What I didn't like is the cost of the activites are not stated nor does Glendorn imply there is an additional cost until its time to pay the bill at checkout. You are greeted by name which makes you feel special, and upon departure we were given a beautiful brown bag, only to open to find a bottle of water and a note(luxury understated). Our rooms were clean,breakfast was delicious and I woud return but not for $750 a night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Alimcraig
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I visited the property for the first time last Labor Day weekend. We arrived on Sunday and left on Tuesday. The property is incredible and truly should not be missed. We stayed in The Big House. As a surprise to us, the staff updated our king bedroom to a suite. The atmosphere of the home was warm and inviting and the food was wonderful. I enjoyed looking at Dorn family photo albums, walking the grounds, and relaxing on the front porch. Two negatives that we experienced were that the staff seemed disinterested when we wanted to go on excursions or had questions and some of the spaces such as the play house sat dirty for the two days we were there. The Lodge was very very busy that weekend. There were many families there and I think they were at full capacity. My husband and I will return to Glendorn. We have decided that the staff must have been exhausted and perhaps, due to the number of people, could not keep up. We happened to arrive on the day that most of the famlies were leaving or soon thereafter. The home, grounds, and cabins truly should be experienced by family and friends. I am hoping our next trip will be rated at a 4-5.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole W
Jamesville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

The Glendorn is the perfect combination of relaxation and the outdoors. We stayed in "The Hideout" which is slightly removed from the main lodge but wonderful for its privacy, rustic ambiance and great outdoor fireplace. Just a couple of minutes away in the main lodge we enjoyed a spectacular dinner that should not be missed. Breakfast was excellent and started the day off great. The staff was helpful, informative and always there when you needed anything. We hiked one day and took the recommendation to take a packed lunch which was thoroughly enjoyed. It was our first visit but definitely not our last!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Eastlake, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

This was our third visit and this place never disappoints! We where set to stay in the Balcony suite, but it is getting renovated into a spa so the amazing staff put us in the Dorn Suite. We decided to go for the 4 course tasting menu for dinner and the food was spectacular! Breakfast was just as good! We walked the 4.5 mile grouse rd loop and saw deer as well as fresh tracks from coyote, squirrel, fox & raccoon. It usually takes me a few days to wind down from a none stop work schedule, but I couldn't even remember what work was from the minute we checked in. Super relaxing, so quiet and always the soothing sounds of water running in the creeks that criss cross the property. The staff here could not be nicer and always seemed out of site but popped out of now where to help when we needed it. We just love the rustic nature of this amazing lodge.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill R
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

We invited my parents to the Lodge, but it turned out that they treated us when it came down to the mounting costs. Because of the cost for one night at $1800 (for four guests, including dinner), minor disappointments became huge ones. My greatest disappointment was the constant smell of natural gas that permeated the Hutch cabin, where we stayed. It was inescapable. I understand that the structures are older and nostalgic, but I didn't expect the odor to influence my mood. It did. The odor embarrassed me because I invited my parents to stay at the Lodge. We tried to light fires in the three fireplaces in our cabin to "mask" the odor, but we couldn't find the plug where the key is suppose to be inserted in one fireplace. No problem, right? Wrong. Nobody on staff knew how to light the fire. Let me say that the staff will go above and beyond to pamper you, but it isn't helpful when they can't figure out how to help you. The staff brought us the ingredients for smores later in the evening, but forgot to bring the skewers. We tried to call for skewers, but the phone just rang endlessly. Finally, the fridge in the cabin comes stocked with soda, which is a nice touch. However, our sodas had expiration dates well past six months earlier. Some people believe that soda does not expire, yet it bothered me due to the pride that Glendorn has in the place and the nightly rates based on that pride. The highlight of the trip was the gorgeous environment in the Lodge. My parents loved the place, and they remarked multiple times that the ambiance in the dining room provided the nicest meal that they ever had. We didn't spend too much time on outdoor activities since it was raining, but we did participate in the skeet and trap shooting, which was fun. I would nevertheless recommend the Lodge for the peace and relaxation if cost doesn't weigh on your ability to measure a place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank mbseuf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
7.5 km away
27.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
36.6 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Warren

Been to The Lodge at Glendorn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK