“A tranquil retreat”

The Lodge at Glendorn
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Glendorn is a fascinating and beautiful place. Whether or not it’s a great hotel is another question. As a member of the illustrious Relais et Chateaux organization, a high level of service and amenities is expected and generally met. The sense of arrival, passing through a locked gate on a remote country road and proceeding up an endless driveway, is quite thrilling. Then, it’s down to earth, as you go into an Orvis store to check in, and the slight woman at the counter asks if you need help with your bags.
The main lodge building has four guest rooms, including two sprawling suites and two rather small, ordinary rooms. The rest of the accommodations are spread among a lodges and cabins surrounding the Big House. I made a gamble, choosing one of the smaller rooms, guessing that it would be a very slow night and we would be upgraded to a suite, as is the custom at most Relais et Chateaux properties.
No upgrade was offered so we settled into our cozy room. I loved the vintage bathroom with yellow ceramic tiles and retro fixtures. The water pressure was so minimal however that I couldn’t wash my hair, and internet was only available in the public rooms downstairs. The real problem with the room though was inadequate lighting. There was no light on the desk and the bedside lamps were not adequate for reading.
We enjoyed our dinner very much. It was a fixed, four course menu. We had been asked about dietary issues prior to our arrival. There was a nice selection of wines as well. Only one other couple was also dined that night, and the two suites in the Big House remained empty. It was great that the doors were open and we could explore a bit. The suites and a bunk room for children were just like they were when this was the Dorn family’s personal camp. It’s a delightful bit of domestic history.
Glendorn is a fascinating and unique place. It’s a tragedy it had to leave the Dorn family but thankfully the current owner appears committed to maintaining it as a fine inn , open to all. Whether it’s up to the Relais et Chateaux standard Is, however, questionable

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Big House when it's cold outside.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dancingnancy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

There is no way to adequately describe Glendorn---it is a 5 star hotel, a hunting lodge, a family retreat, a place where magic happens (like having a fire set in the firepit before you return from dinner complete with a layout of smores and the sticks!). We spent time shooting with a terrific instructor, walking the 1000s of acres of property and lounging in our "cabin" that included heated floors and high thread count sheets, as well as enjoying great meals and an accomodating chef (thanks, I am vegan!) whose team made a vegan birthday cake! Two really wild things: Because it is such a big property, I felt like we were the only guests including at meal times; Because it is a welcoming place, we were able to use high quality fly fishing rods, guns, bikes, etc without being charged or signing stuff out---literally you get to use what you need at your own discretion. One final gush---the staff prepared a basket for our English Bulldog complete with treats and her own mud towels. My only complaint is that it is TOO FAR AWAY for regular trip from Cincinnati!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ann L
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I hosted a weekend at Glendorn with twelve of my girlfriends and we had a fabulous time!!
The accomodations were cozy and lovely, the food was awesome and the staff was so friendly and nothing was too much! For all that we did, we were not nickeled and dimed and I felt the place was incredibly reasonable! I plan on returning and I can't wait to get back for a little piece of paradise!!

Room Tip: We were guests in Richard's cabin!! 8 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms, a lovely family room and kitchen...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Property was very pretty and relaxing, that was until I received my bill on checkout. Be warned, they will charge you for EVERY little thing you do while there. My wife and I have taken longer trips to the caribean and spent less money then what we did at Glendorn in a weekend getaway. I would have rated this place a four out of five before receiving the bill, but after comparing quality of stay with price, it brought my experience way down. Save your money and go somewhere where the quality matches the price.

Also one last thing that really dissapointed me was that I have stayed in very pricey larger scale properties and the staff (even ones that I hadnt even met yet) knew me by name. I didnt get called by my name once during my stay at this small property, For spending a few thousand dollars over the course of a short stay, I at least thought they would make me feel at home.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BobLuvs2Travel1975
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I had stayed at Glendorn twice before with my husband for romantic weekends. This time I stayed with our family and each visit was equally enjoyable. There is so much to do. It was like having our own family compound like back in the day. We all stayed together in one of the separate houses. It is a nice opportunity to be with family and not be distracted by the day to day routines . There are lots of opportunities for various ages to do things together. Different family members tried the shooting, fishing, horseback riding, swimming and hiking. Tanya leads the equestrian center and she was terrific with everyone in the group.
Every person who worked there was friendly, accommodating and professional. There is new ownership and Glendorn is being made even better with each stay. This is a one of a kind place and somewhere that is a memory waiting to be made.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank summittraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bradford
7.8 km away
5.5 km away
Econo Lodge Bradford
Econo Lodge Bradford
#5 of 6 in Bradford

Been to The Lodge at Glendorn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK