“Reasonably Priced”

Amish Country Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My husband and I have stayed here a few times, both with kids and without. It is a cute (no frills) motel, that is close to the attractions (Strasburg Railroad, Kitchen Kettle Village, Dutch Wonderland, Hershey, etc...) and offers some nice amenities such as a free tour of Amish Country and an outside pool. The rooms are fairly clean, but on the small side. We find the bathrooms to be a bit small compared to other hotels/motels and the pillows are like a rock, but for the price it offers a fairly comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Willabe
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

I wrote a review of the AMISH COUNTRY MOTEL back in 2006. I called this little place a "gem" I raved about the cleanliness and the friendliness and the beautiful views. I also wrote how I was a bit disappointed with the water pressure. Well here I am four years later. We go each year to the AMISH COUNTRY MOTEL for Memorial Day Weekend. We run into repeat visitors each year! Which is great! We also meet some really wonderful people while sitting outside talking. My updated review goes like this:

1) Same cleanliness since 2006 (remember I have gone every year for the past four years)

2) Now we get a free fridge, whereas in 2006 we had to pay

3) They have updated their cable and now feature a bunch of channels whereas it used to be 30.

4) The showers still do not have great pressue, but definitely not a terrible feature. Still get a nice shower nonetheless.

5) Beds are still hard and not very comfortable

6) Front Desk and Cleaning staff has not changed. They are all lovely and friendly

7) Pool is still a big plus

..........bottom line, not much has changed in the four years we have gone there, or after my first review back in 2006. This motel is still a gem, and still the only option for us. Although I think often what it would be like to tinker with staying somewhere else, I can't. I just feel too attached to the ACM. We also have come to see a few of the same families year after year as they go to ACM the same holiday weekend as we do. This motel does not have bells or whistles. It's simply a nice, QUIET place to sleep. The view in the front has not changed. You see the large farm across the busy road (RTE 340/Old Phila Tpke) with lots of buggies going by.

Really, nothing has ever changed and I do not see anything changing in the near future. Nothing drastic anyway. My Husband and I were shocked enough that this year they upgraded their Cable channels. Oh and they got NEW soap! They did move up in that catagory :) The bedding is the same in the four years we have visited..same as the carpet and furniture as well as wallpaper. All of which COULD be updated, but nonetheless it's clean. There was a bit of a musty smell in the room we stayed in this weekend. But it wasn't overwhelming and we just didn't pay attention to it. It just was the initial scent when we first opened the door.

So, please never hesitate to visit this motel. Just keep in mind, like many of the Amish Country roadside motels - this is not luxury. If you go in understanding that, you will NOT be disappointed. You will have a nice, clean room to sleep in. Wonderful fellow visitors to chat with on the chairs outside your room - and use of all of the amenities (if you so choose) at any of the other Smucker's motels/hotels. This is the only place we will stay while in Amish Country. It also is quite telling, that most of the people we meet, also have been visiting amish country for years and have stayed at this motel each year...just like us. So keep that in mind! It says a lot about the experience we all have with the motel.

Little note: They give you 2 small soaps and they have a in shower shampoo dispensor. Bring your own bars of soap and shampoo/conditioner if you want. Which I do. Also bring a hair dryer as they are not in the bathrooms. Believe it or not, although they give you one spare roll of toilet paper, I bring one roll myself JUST IN CASE..since the office closes at 9pm and you are out of luck. Silly, yes I know...but hey...it doesn't take up much room in the car, so why not?! We bring a case of soda and a couple of bottles of water/iced tea to put in the fridge to save money instead of going to the soda machines. Also the first two years we went, they had a 1 soda machine and 1 candy machine. Now there is no candy machine (so get some snacks at a store for night time) but they have added a microwave and another soda machine in the vending area...as well as an ice machine which was always there.

ALSO: They still do not have high speed internet. But you can piggy back off of your cell if you are able to. Which is what we do. Or you can bring a phone cord and use dial up if you have AOL.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank chasingali
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I wasn't steered wrong by the other reviews on here-this place is a little gem. We had a fridge with no extra fee and there was a shampoo dispenser in the shower, no water pressure problems. The place smelled lovely when I opened the door, as did the bedding and towels. Housekeeping is excellent. We were given some coupons for other Bird-in-Hand facilities and I used two to get discounts on a very nice breakfast at the restaurant up the street next to the Inn and a pretty shirt at Ruthie's Tees. The desk clerk was very friendly and welcoming. It's close to the Farmer's Market but set in a rural area so you can watch the farms in front of and behind the place. The Amish buggies go by regularly. We didn't have time to go on the tour or visit the Family Inn for their indoor pools and amenities but I'm sure it would have been a delight. I slept like a log. It was a great pick for a very warm March weekend and it was nice to have the extra spending money!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PittsburghPABirdy
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We have been regulars at Bird in Hand Inn and stayed several times at the Mill Stream Inn both of which are owned by the owners of Amish Country Motel. We decided to try ACM since we were enroute to another location in PA and chose to spend less for the night. This is an older motel, and does not offer some of the amenities of the newer chains, nor even the other motels owned by the Smuckers. There is no iron, no ironing board, no microwave, no continental breakfast and no coffee in the room. There was coffee available in the office at 7 a.m. For someone traveling who does not need these features, this is not a problem. The rooms are small and we would not recomment this motel for a family with teens since it could become confining. There is a small pool and also a small play area for those with small children. What this motel does have, is convenience to both Bird in Hand and Intercourse PA, a supply of relaxing chairs set out so that you can relax and watch the Amish world go by, a scenic view both front and rear and comfortable furnishings as well as being extremely clean. It is owned by the Smucker Family and reflects their high standards. Both persons we met, checking in and checking out were friendly, courteous and professional. If visiting the area in the future, we certainly would consider this motel if staying for a night or two. If longer, we would probably prefer the Inn.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank choochoogrampa
Reviewed 15 June 2008

SO and I frequently take short overnight trips to Amish area as it's not too far from my home. We frequently motorcycle tour and stay in a wide variety of venues - B&B's are a favorite - but also chains, independent motels etc.

We really weren't at the motel much so can't speak to using the other Smucker properties amenities etc. We checked in after late lunch at Dienner's, showered and changed - and rested. We had to wait out a heavy thunderstorm before heading off late to dinner in the more 'modern' part of town - with Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday etc. We did lose power for a few seconds during the storm and had lost cable tv by the time we got back from dinner.

The room was perfectly clean. We had a 2-double bed smoking room. The AC kept us plenty cool. There was an ice machine we used to fill a small collapsible cooler for sodas. Bathroom was pretty small but acceptable. Plenty of towels - that's a big thing for us. Water pressure was so so - was glad I didn't have to wash/rinse my hair, it would have been a problem. No hairdryer. Only toiletries were soaps - no shampoo or shower cap (I keep a supply of travel sized ones so no big deal). SO sat out front (2 lawn chairs out for each room) and smoked a cigar after dinner to wind down - he did same next morning kinda wandering around checking out the place. The thing that amazed me was that it was so quiet. Rooms on either side of us were booked/occupied - and we never heard a sound - which is unusual in a roadside motel.

I don't think we'd go there to 'vacation' but we'd definitely stay there for overnight accommodations on a bike trip again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 40 in Lancaster
4.3 km away
Best Western Plus Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
5.4 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
3.4 km away
Harvest Drive Family Inn
Harvest Drive Family Inn
#3 of 3 in Intercourse

Been to Amish Country Motel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK