“A Bit Too "Fancy" for Amish Country”

AmishView Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“A Bit Too "Fancy" for Amish Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

We had the opportunity recently to stay a night at The Amish View Inn and have to say that the place is sqeaky clean like a good Swiss or German hotel...very nice! The location is wonderful out in the middle of farmland. Our room had a beautiful & peaceful view, as did the breakfast room. Our room was very large with a King bed and sleeper sofa, nice TV & DVD player that we used, and frig & microwave; but the decor was a bit over-the-top for us. We love how the Amish View Inn looks from the outside but the heavy ornate furniture just didn't seem to go with the architecture. We realize they are trying to give it an antique bed& breakfast feel and in that they have done a good job, but we would have liked a more simple decor. We also would have preferred to have the bed triple sheeted or with a fresh duvet rather than a bedspread.
The halls are all very clean and well kept and the indoor pool was very warm and immaculate and even though they had a full house while we were there, the hotel was very quiet and we never heard any noise in the halls or from our room. The public area is nice and the coffee set up was welcoming but there is only one sofa and a couple of club chairs in front of the fireplace and the rest of fthe lobby is tables & chairs...good for cards and board games but not for relaxing with a good book. Breakfast was very nice with a great variety of delicious items and a there was a good attention to detail, but it was very crowded.
We travel a lot and stay in hotels approx. 7-10 nights a month and are very picky about celanliness, decor and design and although the Amish View was nice, I'm note sure we would choose it again unless we were going for Christmas and looking for that Dickens style decor. But we can recommend it for it's value for money, cleanliness and great breakfast.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank tripstakeus
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2008

This was our third time staying at The Amish View Inn. I first found them last year on the net. We fell in lnn. The room was as good as I saw on the net. The Great Room with coffee and tea all day long is a great touch. The breakfast is a full breakfast not just dough nuts
and coffee.
The staff is always friendly and very helpful.
My wife has booked a stay in Nov. for her and her sisters and their daughters.
This is our home away from home when we are in Lancaster area.

• Liked — The room and breakfast.
  • Disliked — NONE
Jackson, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2008

My wife and I visited the Amish View in mid-March, for a nice, quiet romantic getaway. We visit Lancaster about 5 or 6 times each year. We usually stay in the busy area on Route 30. But, this time we just wanted to relax and enjoy the countryside. This Inn is beautiful. The main "Great Room" is very nice; you can have a cup of coffee and a cookie anytime of the day and relax and enjoy the view of the farmland. The indoor pool and excerise room seemed well maintained although we didn't have a chance to use these facilites. We had a King room, which was spacious and very nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable.

We enjoyed driving the back roads to visit farms, markets and the village of Intercourse, only a few miles east of the inn on Route 340. If you want to visit the outlets, they are an easy 10-minute drive from the inn.

The breakfast buffet is one of the best that we have seen. The omelets are made to order at the omelet station. You can have anything from a continental breakfast, through a full "eggs and sausage/bacon" meal. The coffee is excellent and is kept hot and fresh throughout the day.

The only minor negatives are that although most of the front desk people were very nice helpful and pleasant, one person seemed to have a bit of an attitude; we were waiting to ask a question when she was on the phone. She seemed to be a bit annoyed that we were waiting for her to complete the call; perhaps she was having a bad day. Also, the television stations were very limited compared to the choice at other hotels in the area. Again these were minor fault sand didn't impact on our very nice weekend at all.

• Liked — Location, breakfast buffet, quiet relaxing environment
  • Disliked — Slight atttitude of a front desk employee
Clementon NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2008

I was looking for a place to stay for our tenth anniversary, and after looking at numerous places in Lancaster, I decided to book the Amish View based on the reviews found here. Thank you so much to all of you who recommended this Inn!

My husband and I are antique buffs and spent the day in Adamstown. He was a little upset the the Inn was so far away(about 40 minutes) as we had been driving up and down 272 all day, and we took the back way to the Inn.

We knew we were in Amish country when we kept passing buggies. It truly is another world there, although I noticed that civilization is slowly encroaching on them. What a shame! Anyway, I digress.

We arrived at the Inn around 4:30pm. I had booked a King room, but using a little trick I picked up from the travel channel, always ask for an upgrade. I asked the girl at the desk, who was very helpful, if we could have an upgrade to a King Jacuzzi room. She made several calls on her walkie-talkie and gave us a King Jacuzzi-Fireplace suite at no extra charge! I was amazed and thrilled, so was my hubby, the long trip forgotten. Actually, the trip over was beautiful-the scenery is breathtaking.

We went up to our room (215) and it was spectacular. The outer room held the fireplace, the sink and coffee bar and a beautiful marble table and sofa with side chair. We decided to go to dinner at Plain and Fancy, but at the last minute went to Miller's Smorgasboard, also by reviews on this site. I will review Miller's separately.

The hotel was very quiet(it backs on an actual farm.) The view was amazing. Couldn't get used to the manure smell, okay, I'm a city girl! But I'm sure that's the best smell to the Amish-the smell of new life.

Anyway, the jacuzzi was great, but a little small for two people. The bed was super comfortable-my husband and I have back problems and we slept great. We did have TV problems the next morning-it was raining and the satellite was out-of course, I don't blame the hotel for that.

Breakfast the next morning was okay-I had the waffles which were not very good, but my husband raved about his omelet. The cook was very skilled. They had a nice selection of cereals, meats, eggs, and pastries. The coffee was so-so. Could be better.

All in all, this is a true gem for a romantic getaway far away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. If you are looking for excitement, stay in Philadelphia. These folks roll up the sidewalks by 5pm.

I would highly recommend this Inn. I did promise the girls at the desk that I would do so, and that we would be staying there again.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the food
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Providence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2008

First off Missy the person that took my reservation was very professional. She remembered that is was going to be my husbands birthday. We had a beautiful room with a jacuzzi tub, king size bed and a fireplace. We had a very nice evening. Breakfast was great we had an omelet made to order. They had everything you would find at a typical buffet. Very many choices. I wish we could of stayed longer. Thank you Grace the General Manager, she was very friendly and accommodating.

• Liked — We had a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bird in Hand
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,851 reviews
6.6 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
3.1 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS Revere Inn & Suites

Been to AmishView Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK