“Where to stay if you want a good value right on the ocean.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Surf Motel

Silver Surf Motel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Yachats
Pittsburgh, Pennsylania
“Where to stay if you want a good value right on the ocean.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a mom and pop motel directly on the beach (as in, so close you can fall asleep listening to the ocean). It is not fancy and lacks some amenities (a hair dryer would be nice!) but the room was clean and had a fantastic balcony that was private and pretty big. Ours came with a kitchenette as well, and it had lots of little touches like DVDs, horse shoe pit, etc.. It was also the cheapest motel we stayed at on our trip but probably had the best location in terms of ocean proximity. The town of Yachats is a short drive away, as is a particularly beautiful section of Oregon coastline. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amyakabetty
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

This place was the worst experience ever. They yelled at me, called me a lier and treated me like I was the worst person ever, even when I tried to talk to them, they cut me off, wouldn't listen and had me in tears. When the wife finally got her husband to shut up she asked him if he knew my story and he admitted he did not. Well of course not you don't stop yelling and calling people names long enough to listen. Funny thing is they did not even know me. They accused me of going against a rule that was never posted anywhere on there property...I have the pictures of every page in the book and all papers they put in their rooms....their excuse was it was on their web-site, well I was driving when I made the reservation and never have been to their web-site. So come up with a better one people. They treated my brother and sister like dirt and I witnessed them lie themselves to another customer and treat them very poorly. They kept telling this other customer maybe you should leave, do you want to leave, over and over like they didn't want the business. They asked me as well if I wanted to leave....wonder how many other people they asked if they wanted to leave. They apparently are under fairly new management. We ended up leaving this awful place and going to a hotel up the road. Told them of our experience and they said that many people have been complaining about them lately. Use caution when staying here. The people appear nice until you don't follow a rule whether intentional or unintentional they will treat you as if you deliberately went against the rules and when you try to explain yourself the male manager just cuts you off does not listen and calls you names. The absolute most unprofessional man with absolutely no customer service skills at all, even though he'll tell you he has been in customer service for many years......I am not sure how he could be and act the way he does.

Anyhow, my sister, myself and the more than 15 families that have the forth of July in Yachats every year will never ever stay here again. There are alot more beautiful places to stay that you will get treated much better at, believe me. Oh and my sister and I will be filing reports with the Attorney Generals office in Oregon and also the BBB in Oregon as to stop these people from treating others as we were treated.

Anyhow, our experience is over, Thank Goodness, but if this saves anyone else from going through what we went through while we were there, I am glad to post this.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank S L
SilverSurfInnkeepers, General Manager at Silver Surf Motel, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
There are always two sides to every story. Unfortunately the actual story or situation is not mentioned in the above review. The reviewer was a late check-in that had not come to the office to register in the morning, which is normal for most late arrivals. Normally when a late check-in does not register the next morning we run the credit card on file for the first night stayed. When we ran the card on file it was declined.

Since the original reservation was for two nights our housekeer went to do the room for the stay over, there was NO Do Not Disturb sign so she went in and a cat jumped off the bed toward her. She was startled and surpised since we DO NOT ACCEPT CATS and our policy is NO Dog (pet) can be left unattended in the cabin for the safety reasons. Luckily she left the room without the cat getting out. Our Pet Policy is on our website, attached to your receipt at check-in, in the In-Room Book, and attached to your note with your key for late arrivals.

At this point we had a cabin with an unattended cat, a guest with a declined credit card, that had not registered ,and had not reurned a call from the message we left several hours earlier.

She returned late afternoon and was extremely upset by our phone message. We explained what we knew at this point. We had cause to be concered since her actions were irresponsible. She explained her niece showed up late the night before and without her knowledge brought the cat. We told her there would be a fine for leaving the cat alone and that she needed to remove it from the room and find a way to pay for the charges.

She sat in the office trying to contact family members to help with the charges. She said she refused to pay for the cat charges that was not her responsibility. She wanted her sister to pay those, since her neice was the one that brought the cat. The scene did become more dramatic when she continued to make calls and started crying. She said she felt as if we were accusing her of doing something wrong. From our perspective she was not taking responsibility , she made the reservation in her name with her credit card and she was the party responsible for the charges and whatever took place in the room. Again, she did not have the means to pay since her card was declined. She could have made her calls in her car in privacy without everyone hearing what was going on.

The review does not mention any of the circumstances leading up to how she claims she was treated. There has to be an understanding of what happened before judgement can be passed on how you were treated. Again, there are always two sides to every story and we wanted our side to be heard.

Michael & Janice Abrams
General Managers
Silver Surf
Portland OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Our extended family rented five rooms here, including pet and non-pet rooms. All were neat and clean and had outstanding views of the beach. Outside could use a new paint job soon, though that did not affect the quality of our stay. We appreciated the views, full kitchens and balconies, as well as use of the pool and hottub, available with all rooms. We fixed breakfast dishes in separate rooms and then got together in a room with a king, which allowed more space to move around and seating options for our nine family members. Being so close to the beach, the back lawn with wild bunnies, and getting special towels for the dogs and pool were all nice features. Service was friendly and helpful for all and several family members plan to return.

Room Tip: All rooms offer views, kitchens, balconies and proximity to pool and beach; just chose the sleeping...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I love Yachats - it's my favorite place on the Oregon coast. Upon arrival in my room, my Lab Louie saw the ocean from the sliding glass doors and literally started bouncing up and down and running in circles! He loves the ocean and was not disappointed. Also, there were bunny rabbits on the front (back?) lawn every morning and evening that he loved to watch. I appreciated the fact that although I was on the bottom floor, it was 12 feet off the ground and my dog was "fenced" in.

I love that the room has a full-size fridge in it. The kitchen was very well stocked with dishes, utensils, etc. I brought my own coffee but forgot filters. No problem, I was able to get some from the front desk. The oven was a nice feature, although there seemed to be very little heat difference between low and high on the burners. I ended up burning my first meal. Would have loved to try out the swimming pool, but I forgot my suit.

As everyone has mentioned, this place was not fancy. But when I'm traveling solo with just my dog, all I care about is whether or not it's clean (it was!) I loved that they had doggy towels to wipe Louie's feet off. I loved the views and falling asleep to the sound of the pounding surf. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Don't expect fancy. Don't expect brand-new. But do expect a mom-&-pop hotel RIGHT on the beach. We stayed here 20 years ago with our kids, and make it a point to stay here if we are in the area. The price is reasonable for a beachfront hotel with nice indoor pool and full kitchen.
Pros: on the beach (miles of walking at low tide), nice big lawn, big room, nicely stocked kitchen, big fridge, DVD's to check out, firepit, horseshoe pits, friendly staff, comfy bed, decent TV, pool indoors - heated and big enough for laps, hot tub, washer/dryers, private balconies, clean, few minutes drive to Yachats and 30 minutes to Newport. The best "pro" - hearing nothing but the surf all night long. Very few cons: thin walls, no hairdryer, poor cell reception (wait a minute, that should be a pro! We're on vacation!) All the rooms have ocean views, but the cabins don't. Only the last cabin (#42) has a little deck that faces toward the lawn and ocean beyond. The Silver Surf makes a great base camp to explore the prettiest part of the Oregon Coast, between Florence and Lincoln City.

P.S. Don't miss the South Beach Fish Market just south of the Newport bridge for the best fish & chips ever!

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms have a better view of the ocean and you won't have people walking around ove...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank pachamama57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yachats
2.7 km away
2.5 km away
The Dublin House Motel
The Dublin House Motel
#9 of 11 in Yachats

Been to Silver Surf Motel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK