Review Highlights
A Great Trail and Great Destination

The Banks-Vernonia Trail is a bit more challenging and interesting than a lot of rail trails, with... read more

Reviewed 2 October 2019
laryep
Shelton, Washington
bike ride from Banks to vernonia

what a wonderful 17 mile bike path. there are 11 bridges on this route and 1 place where the trail... read more

Reviewed 22 September 2019
Alaka S
Portland, Oregon
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 May 2019

We heard about this trail from several friends and decided to give it a try on the first warm weekend in May. The little parking lot was already full by the time we got to the Banks trailhead, but that was no problem - the main street had plenty of parking just a minute further. It was a stupendous tummy warm Saturday, but the trail really was not so crowded. Sure, right near the towns there were more walkers and families will little ones who were clearly not doing the whole stretch. But once you got a mile out of town, everything was fine. The traffic was very modest.
The trail itself is in quite good shape. Sure some tree roots are always raising some asphalt, but there were not too many roots or potholes and they were all very well marked. Around mid-trail you do have quite a steep descent and climb - maybe they used to have a trestle there for the trains? Well, not any more, so be ready for a short tough climb! But even that challenge was manageable and added to the overall variety and enjoyment.
Vernonia was a great destination, we sat outside soaking in the sun for well-deserved drinks and lunch before heading back. The nature is really attractive, the smells are fresh and it's a good distance to do in a relaxing half day. Including the generous stop for lunch, we did the whole distance in about 5 hours. Great outing!

Date of experience: May 2019
3  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 10 March 2019 via mobile

Old bridges and wildlife can be veiwed from the trail where the train used to take lumber to and from the mill to build the community of Vernonia and others

Date of experience: March 2019
1  Thank H2221XLrichardc
Reviewed 25 September 2018

I tried this trail a year ago (2017) and was very impressed with the ride. Lately, it has really deteriorated in parts and getting worse. Some very dangerous ruts and parts of the trail falling apart all together. What really bothered me most, is the aggressive logging taking place all the way up to the edge of the trail itself. You take these bike rides to get away from destructive forces, yet this trail reminds you clear cutting is a part of Oregon culture. I won't be coming back. It is just too sad for me.

Date of experience: September 2018
2  Thank appleeducator1
Reviewed 31 July 2018

This ride was really enjoyable. I'm a decent rider while my husband is a true ace. We both enjoyed the experience, lovely scenery followed by a great lunch in town.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 3 July 2018

We rode 1/2 way the first day, starting at Vernonia Pond. Beautiful little lake. Within 5 minutes of being on the trial, we came upon a wogger (walking/jogger) with a jogger baby stroller. She was being approached in front by another bike rider, so she moved from the middle (and I mean middle) of the trail to the right. The gentleman passed and then my husband said "passing on the left". She moved to the left side of the trail from the right side and he said a bit more loudy "on the left!". My husband almost hit her because she had her earbuds in and was talking on her phone! Luckily he didn't hit her or the stroller with the baby in it. And she got indignant with him. We were barely moving because we stopped for the gentleman approaching us.

If you are going to walk on a very busy trail, for goodness sake, get off the phone! I saw all the comments about bikers on here and didn't have an issue either day we were on the trail with anyone except folks that obviously didn't ride much and would stop in the middle of the trail. Bikers and walkers yielded where appropriate and I saw one biker slow to a crawl down a big hill so he didn't scare a horse on the side of the trail. All in all, everyone was courteous and aware of their surroundings - except the wogger.

The trail wasn't particularly scenic from Vernonia to Stubbs Stewart park. Lots of riding beside Hwy 47. There was one large hill at the Hilltop trailhead that was difficult. My husband made it up, but I got off and walked. The rest of the trail to the park was doable for me.

Day 2 was a bit more of a challenge for me (not my husband). We left from the Banks Trailhead and after 3 or so miles, the climb begins. And it doesn't end for another 7ish miles, I kid you not. Most was a gradual climb and some was a bit more challenging. Once we got to the park, we rested, turned around and coasted the 7 miles - all downhill. Agreed that there were few bathrooms and no place on the trail to get water. Much prettier near Banks than Vernonia.

Lots of biking trails in WA and OR and I think we will try others before we ride this one again.

Date of experience: June 2018