All reviews one way street hi express small breakfast room ihg rewards the columbia gorge breakfast experience clean rooms outlet mall convenient location will stay there again late check hot breakfast free breakfast monica marissa hix fuel
Reviewed 21 September 2015

My multiple night stay at this property got off to a very rocky start. I have a parking tag for disabled parking, and arrived to find window washers taking up all the spaces in the front of the property (and they left their equipment there overnight - and there were other places they could have parked). I checked in and was told there were additional spaces in the back. I drove around back, unloaded my luggage, and...the keys didn't work. Load up, drive back around, go back in - unfriendly desk clerk says they often have problems with the back door (so get it fixed!). I drive back around, get out and try the keys - not working. Have to jiggle the door to get it to open. Haul my stuff in. Room was okay - towels folded into cutesy shapes, yet I had to rinse out the sink and tub which had hair and little black granules. Stop with the towel folding and clean! I went to dinner and came back to find the accessible spaces in the back filled by a tour bus (Caldwell). While I was using the computer in the lobby, the bus driver came through the lobby and told the desk clerk (same one who checked me in cheerlessly) how he had parked. Desk clerk's reaction? "You bring in more money than they do" (apparently "they" are people who need accessible parking). Huh?
The breakfast room looks disorganized, with chairs piled in 1 corner; lobby looks like there were once 4 desk/computer spaces, but 3 are now empty; guest laundry wasn't clean (wastebasket overflowing, litter on the folding shelf and floor).
Desk staff were much friendlier the next 2 days, and I never saw the desk attendant from the first night again. The property has potential, but just seems unkempt. In addition to the bathroom and laundry, there was a sticky ring on one of the nightstands - it came off with some water and a washcloth, but I shouldn't have to be cleaning.
There are fast food places nearby, but that's it. The hotel is on a 1-way frontage road, so if you miss it (it's set back), you have to make a huge loop to get back to it. If I knew the area better, and hadn't already lost a day of my vacation due to airline problems, I would have moved after that first night. It was passable, so I did stay on but it was disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2015

Dear Lady312 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. It is disheartening to know that our the overall level of service you have received have fallen short of your expectations. Allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced, particularly at check-in and with housekeeping. Rest assured that your feedback has been noted and taken into account to improving our service.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 September 2015

This Holiday Inn Express is the perfect place to stay whether you're hiking the gorge or grabbing dinner downtown. I couldn't have been more pleased with the friendly staff or the clean and comfortable rooms. Definitely will stay here again. So much to do in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2015

This place is what it is: a HIE on an Interstate. No surprises here, thankfully. The room was clean, beds comfortable and front desk staff very pleasant and helpful. The view from our room left something to be desired: looking out on air conditioning units and other things on what I assume is the breakfast room roof. So be it. And I can attest to the musty smell in the room that people are talking about. Main grip is that the pool was so off-balance in its chlorine mix that it DISCOLOURED my husband's and daughter's swimming suits. The whirlpool also looked very murky. Unless they have that figured out, I would avoid the waters here. Paying over $200/night for this seems a bit outrageous, but I've read the reviews of the Motel 6 down the road, and I guess we're paying for something when it comes to a feeling of safety at least! We chose it at the last stop on a week-long road trip for its proximity to the waterfalls, so there's value in that.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2015

Dear CalgaryLoriB,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are glad that you found our beds to be comfortable and our staff to be very pleasant. However, we would like to apologize for falling short of your expectations regarding our rooms and pool. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. In addition, your feedback has been forwarded to our management to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Again, our apologies for the inconvenience and we hope to have another opportunity to provide you a much better experience.

Joel A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 August 2015

We opted to stay at this property after a bad experience at an All-Suite hotel the previous week in West Portland. We found the rooms comfortable, and the hotel staff very welcoming. They gave us good recommendations for dinner. Their were lots of choices for breakfast and the staff kept up with the demand for food. The breakfast area was large and clean, how nice.
Thanks to everyone there, we'll try Holiday Inn Express again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2015

Property was just what I expected. Comfortable room. Reasonable breakfast. Just wish they would have had fresh cookies like many other HIE's. Wifi worked well but kept asking us to sign on - again and again.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple