“Renovate or detonate”

Shilo Inn Suites - Salem
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Aghhhhhh .... the Shilo Inn. I stay in many different hotels and motels each year, somewhere between 50 and 150, so I've seen a lot, both in Canada and the USA. Some upmarket, others less so. The Shilo in Salem sort of defies a clear cut definition. I'd say when it was new, many, many moons ago, it would have been quite the stay. No longer so. I've stayed here twice in the past 12 months (no choice on my part), and on the last visit decided to drive back to Vancouver, BC, instead of staying the night (that's about a 7 hours drive!) My meeting finished earlier than expected, and although I had only just driven into Salem that morning (600km), I decided to drive back the same day.
Tired, musty, glum.
The staff do their job just fine, but even they can't polish a piece of worn bedrock into a gem.
If you're looking for just a place to stay and are fairly resilient to depression causing environment, do it. If you're low on Prozac, and need it, skip it!
Looking at the professionally taken photos of this hotel, they make it look almost glamorous. Alas, bright lights can do that. But, in reality, once you step out of the reception area, gloom and mustiness take over. The breakfast area is in the reception; don't expect much, but there is a McDonald's and Subway just around the corner. Location wise, it is only a few hundred yards from the I5, so you can get quickly in and out. Out in my case.
In another few years, they may start marketing the place as historically accurate. Till then, visit a museum instead.
During my first stay, last year, a twin-bed room was reserved and confirmed, but when I arrived, there was only one bed in the room, and the hotel was apparently booked out (senior marching bands or what not), so my business partner and I shared the same bed. Bummer. No pun intended.
I can't comment on value, because I never see how much they charge my company. So if the price is right, and you're not suicidal, give it a shot ... or a miss.

Room Tip: See the room before you pay for it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Beaverbum
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Beaverbum,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at my property. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations and I hope that you will contact me personally so that I may speak with you about a resolution. I can be reached by email at pam.urben@shiloinns.com or direct at 503-581-4001.

Sincerely
Pam urben

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Shilo Inn Suites - Salem

Reviewed 24 April 2012

When we got to our room it was ice cold inside, we soon discovered that the heater didn't work. I had to call twice to get someone to come look at it, all he did was fiddle with the (antique liquid mercury) thermostat, declare it "OK" and leave. The heater never worked, period....
We ended up running the built in hair dryer for about an hour just to take the chill off the air, if it wasn't so late at night I would have demanded our money back and found another room.
The 1:30 am fire alarm/evacuation was no fun either, we never did find out what that was about..

When we went down for the free breakfast it looked like a pack of vultures had picked the place clean (at 8:30 in the morning) needless to say we left hungry.

When we complained we were told by an unsympathetic employee to call the 800 number (thanks for nothing)

We called, complained, and were sent a voucher for 25% off a room. To me that's not saying "sorry you had a crappy night with us" it's a major slap in the face telling us to not even bother coming back. After our experience at this place, we wont!

After being froze out, evacuated, and sent away without so much as a snack it's apparent that they don't care about customer service.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank R0bert88
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear R0bert88,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at My Property. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations or those of management. It is our goal to make each guest feel both comfortable and welcome so your feedback regarding your your room and stay in general was greatly appreciated.

I hope that you will contact me personally should you need future reservations in Salem. I can be reached by email at pam.urben@shiloinns.com or direct at 503-581-4001.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

On the positive side our room was large and clean. Unfortunately it smelled too much of deodorizer. Looks like it aimed to be a 4 star place in the 90s, but the stars have since faded. Beds were okay, but a bit aged and could use new linens. The breakfast service was a bit disappointing, coffee and breads with a bit of fruit and small yogurts. Their seating area is limited to four small bistro tables in the lobby.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Steven W.

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at My Property. We agree that the place is starting to show it's age but our large and clean rooms are definitely a plus. I do however apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations of those of management.

I hope that you will contact me personally so that I may speak with you personally about a resolution. I can be reached by email at pam.urben@shiloinns.com or direct at 503-581-4001.

Sincerely

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I want to apologize for taking so long to thank you for your superior hospitality! We stayed in Salem for over two months last year. The inside and out was very clean and had a nice feel to it. The room was strikingly large, we had four adults with us this time, and we needed both beds and a roll out for one of us. Nice touches to the look of the room! All the amenities were clean and up to date. The bathroom was always cleaned and refreshed, again there were four of us! My wife and I were very impressed! We used the pool area on many occasions and always found it to be neat as a pin. Breakfast was great each and every morning; the fresh waffles, and juices were very tasty for breakfast. The fresh fruits, cookies and popcorn made us feel at home! The grounds were constantly maintained, in spite of all the leaves falling everywhere. The staff…well the staff, what a wonderful group of professionals. From the day we arrived till our departure, (59 days later) we felt completely at ease with everyone associated with the hotel. Our biggest fear was overstaying our welcome, which didn’t happen, everyone with smiles and cheerful dispositions greeted us all the time. They all truly seemed to go out of their way to help us feel comfortable. Pam and her entire staff must love their work, to be as friendly and knowledgeable as they are. My wife and I would like to commend everyone associated with the Shilo Inn in Salem. Thank you! We will be using our rewards to stay at other Shilo facilities, yea free rooms!

Room Tip: In Salem Oregon, call the Shilo!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear skillymunga,

Thank you for the outstanding review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Shilo Inn Suites in Salem, OR. We are glad that you had a chance to enjoy our pool and spa, and that the hotel met your needs as a traveler. It is our goal to make each guest feel both comfortable and welcome, and we strive to meet this goal every day. Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Pam Urben

Reviewed 29 March 2012

nice place to stay for a short time. It was.clean,just outdated. Downfall: no comforter on our bed (only brown blanket & sheet) chunky milk,3 of them for breakfast so we decidef against breakfast there,then there were some very intoxicatf people in the pool,with children might I add,they did nothing,& also a man was bleeding near the hot tub,yes he was intoxicated,got bloody towels,& the man working just threw them in with the rest of the laundry!! Yukkk

• Stayed: March 2012