“Great halibut and chips”

Old Oregon Smoke House
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

The halibut and chips were outstanding. The breading is light and they give you plenty of fish. I highly recommend this place. The coleslaw is very good too!

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This is outdoor or takeaway only. Husband had smoked pork sandwich which he said was great. I ordered halibut fish & chips and a small side of clam chowder.
The fish & chips were so-so. However, if I die and go to heaven, I want this clam chowder every single day. What chowder!
Its worth it if only for the best chowder I've ever eaten, and as a Flight Attendant, I've eaten it all over the world..
Thank you, thank you!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My wife and I tried the Old Oregon Smokehouse when we were in Rockaway Beach. They open at noon so no breakfast here. All dining is outside which is great on a sunny day. Their deep fried food was perfectly done. The chowder was good and they also have BBQ. The prices were reasonable and the staff were friendly. This is a great place for lunch.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

We ate here on a rainy evening. All seating is outdoors. Picnic tables had umbrellas but not all were adjusted to keep tables dry so only three could be used when raining. Our fish and chips were good but both could have been crisper. Friendly little hole in the wall that is worth a visit.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Service : 7/10
Decor: 7/10
Quality 5/10
Value 6/10

As my wife and youngest daughter drove down the Oregon coast I had read a few reviews and seen a few pictures and it became a destination lunch for us. You know when you read a few reviews and it looks like a possible hidden gem? I was hopping that the Old Oregon Smoke House was going to be one of those.

The staff were very fun, friendly and easy going but not too aware of their menu, When I asked the girl about several menu items she had to differ to the fella in the back. Thinking she was new I asked how long she had been working there she said 4 years. The only smoked items I could see was the smoked salmon? No other smoked meats? The girl recommended the clam strips but was sold out to the person before us. Then her second recommendation was the Halibut.

Decor: As you approach there are 3 large smokers smoking away right close to the street taking up half the side of the patio as you walk in. Being a low and slow lover myself it got me excited. There is no seating inside its all outdoor, umbrella covered picnic tables. There are old fishing relics strewn around the walls giving a unique fishing dock feeling which even adds to grey weathered wooden planks for the patios deck. and back of the boast style coolers to dispense the drinks.
The order area is cramped and clean floors but a bit dirty around the edges. The kitchen is semi open so its easy to see whats going on. What I saw 3 small deep fryers one of which was a larger home style counter top one. Overall it was about the size of a food truck kitchen, and there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Quality: I had the halibut with fries and my daughter had the Prawn and fries.
My halibut was cut into small strips 5 in all and was cooked dry and way over cooked. One piece however was way thicker and it was flaky tender and moist, definitely what I would expected from fresh cut halibut cooked to perfection. But the inconsistent cut s led to a mediocre and disappointing experience of the dish. Now the prawns were the star of the event, lightly battered and cooked to perfection. They were a very large size and tasted fresh. The tarter sauce was not the best I have ever had but it was good and is worth a mention. The fries were great home-cut and cooked well , crisp and golden in a fresh oil offering no fish taste (as can happen with fish based menus)

Value: 6/10 we paid roughly $32 for the meal and 2 cans of pop. The portions size was average.

I had hopped for so much more. Maybe I expected too much as a result of the the other reviews and setting it as one of our destination lunch stops.

As we were leaving I met the owner opening up fresh fish box fresh from off the boat. We had a great chat and it was great to hear he liked the smaller halibut for taste and flesh consistency but I a sad to know that it did not translate to our meal. Due to the cooks execution.

I did really want this to be a gem and a recommended destination spot but instead I found a gem that still has a few rough edges. It has so much potential and could easily become one with consistency and improved execution.

Sincerely Chef, Duncan