“Comfortable room, Great service”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We came for an extra day before a conference, on 2 separate bookings. The transition was seamless - other than having to swap room cards. Staff was great with requests, even helping us figure out how to use Netflix on the TV.
The bed and chairs are comfortable and WiFi is fast.
The conference rooms are fine, except the smaller ones tend to be too cold.

Room Tip: City View rooms have more road noise.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Gregg N
Keake W, Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us. It was a pleasure serving you during your conference. We have passed along your comments about the cold meeting rooms to ensure we identify how we can improve that issue. We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Portland.

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and kids and I just stayed two nights here and the hotel itself was pretty decent - the location is good, room was clean and comfortable and actually really quiet, especially for being near the elevators. Front desk staff at check-in was very friendly. That being said, the place was a bit unorganized. When I called the week before our visit to confirm our room, they were unable to locate our reservation. We attempted to place a breakfast order by their system of hanging a menu with selections and delivery time marked on the door the night before (it said to have it out by 2am, I put ours out at 9pm) - the next morning when our breakfast still hadn't arrived 20 minutes after the time range we selected I checked the door and sure enough, they hadn't even picked the order up. I called and the woman who answered just said "oh, oops" and told me I could go ahead and place an order (I didn't have time to wait for it at this point) or that there were grab and go options in the lobby, so I took my kids down to the lobby to grab something to go. This was at 9am and at this point there was only one employee working and she was responsible for cashiering, making coffees and taking care of food orders which meant she'd be in the kitchen for several minutes at a time while there was a long line of people standing and waiting. I felt bad for her as that was way too much for one person, but also frustrated that it took 20 minutes to get a couple bananas and a bagel to go. Eventually another employee joined her and they were able to get caught up. Once we got our breakfast items I requested my car from valet and took my kids to use the restroom while we waited for the car to be brought around. We came out the door just as valet was finishing loading the entire back of my car with another family's luggage. The woman who appeared to be in charge of valet that morning was the only employee I came across who left a bad taste in my mouth, having openly criticized other employees and blamed them for mistakes in two different instances. Needless to say, I was frustrated by our first morning experience, but fortunately things were fine after that (or maybe it was just because we weren't actually there much after that). All in all, this is a good place to stay if you're looking for a convenient location and decent clean room with basic amenities. If exceptional service is important to you, I'd look elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. While it was a pleasure serving you, I noted you experienced some challenges during your stay and I regret the missteps in service you experienced. I have shared your comments with our team to ensure this was an isolated issue and corrected moving forward. We hope for another opportunity to serve you when your travels next bring you to Portland.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

We stayed in this hotel three nights because of a conference, and moved twice to another room, once because the room was tiny and didn't have the king size bed promised, once because we had five drunk youngsters next to our room who tried to break into our room - at midnight. When we complained that the hotel shouldn't put five young guys in one room next to people there to attend a conference, they shrugged it off. Some marginal compensation was offered for the attempted break-in. The location of the hotel is very good, but the management is poor and the sound insulation is non-existent. In short: AVOID!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank 877gerth
Lora F, Front Office Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that your safety and security is our top priority and I sincerely apologize for the issue you encountered. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like to discuss.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

One night in a room with the river and my. Hood view. Our room was spacious and well appointed. We enjoyed a nice meal in the room with a complementary bottle of wine. The only drawback was the hotel is several blocks from restaurants and clubs.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

This is a solid and comfortable hotel. The fitness centre is one of the better ones I've used, but no pool. The location is fine but for transit and food options you'll need to walk 4-6 blocks. Not quite in the thick of things, but that could be good too

Stayed: August 2017