All reviewsi stayed in a private roombed dormtrader joe'scommunal areasmain buildingcommon roomalphabet districtfred meyerbars and restaurantsminute walknob hillguest houselaundry facilitiesthe pearlwithin walking distancestayed longerwashington park
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed in a 4 bed dorm for 3 nights. Good private setup - much prefer 2 bunks end to end rather than 2 bunks next to each other where you can stare into your bunk neighbours eyes upon waking up. Breakfast was regulated with 1 bagel and coffee/tea/juice + 1 refill. On site bar/cafe, but you were also able to drink your own alcohol in the courtyard out back. There were crates of free baked goods in the kitchen one day (pastries, breads etc) which may be a regular thing. Quiet and clean place to stay, one of the better hostels in the US.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2017

After hosteling for over two decades, I can say with assurance that this was one of my more pleasant experiences. I stayed in a private room and, overall, it was not exactly a classic hostel experience -- I didn't strip my own bed and take my linens to a communal laundry basket upon check-out. My room consisted of a wonderfully comfortable bed positioned right by a second floor window that looked out through tree branches onto a scenic vista. I woke early every morning to observe the sunrise. Simply lovely! Room also contained a desk, a floor lamp, a chair, and a small bedside table. The rooms on our floor shared three bathrooms.

Upon check-in, I received vouchers for a free breakfast beverage and a bagel. Hostel guests have their own lounge and outdoor courtyard in which to eat, relax, and one night even enjoy a small concert. The hostel cafe also serves lunch and dinner. They make a mean hamburger.

The hostel is within walking distance (about 10 minutes at my pace) from the red MAX train line, up a gentle hill. There is a Trader Joe's not too far away if you run out of supplies (the front desk stocks travel size toiletries at rock bottom prices) and the Mission Cinema is just down the street. $4 movies cannot be beat.

I need to mention how absolutely lovely and helpful every single person working the desk was. Usually at hostels, one encounters at least one grumpy front desk staffer, but not this place. You all deserve a gold star.

Room Tip: Private room on 2nd floor over the front door not good for light sleepers or those who wish to go to bed early.
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I had a wonderful expericence in this hostel. The beakfast was good, the facilities were really nice and clean. The hostels activities were good and a nice way to meet people and get to know the city. They even have a secret garden to hang out in with fellow hostellers. The staff was nice and helpful. I will come back.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

This is a nice hostel within a walking distance from the Greyhound bus stop (15-20 mins walk). The hostel staff is good, special thanks to the friendly housekeepers over there. Breakfast was included, ( a beverage and a bagel from the café attached to the hostel). overall the hostel is very clean, I have seen housekeepers cleaning bathrooms, common areas and rooms everyday of my 4 nights stay.
They offer a different activity everyday to discover the city or have a drink in one of the many breweries in Portland ( tour or activity can be cancelled if not enough persons are registered though).
Overall I would recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2017

I stayed at this hostel in July 17 for 3 nights. The hostel was very clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. It was nice that a bagel and coffee/tea/orange juice was included in the price and there was a nice space to eat breakfast.

The rooms were fairly spacious and there are power outlets and fans by each bed and lockers in the rooms.

The bathrooms were large individual bathrooms with lockable doors which made a nice change from shared shower facilities.

The location was good. Close to the tram and bus stops and also easily walkable to the Amtrak station (15mins) and walking distance to Powells book store and nice shops and cafes in downtown.

My only slight gripe was that I arrived late due to a flight delay (1am) and I think the person on reception had gone for a break so I stood by the door with the doorbell ringing out to a phone playing loud hold music for about 15minutes. This worried me as I thought I was going to be locked out and that I had mis-read the 24hr reception information. Also that the noise from the hold music was loud and attracting attention to me stood there with my suitcase looking like a tourist on the street! It was all resolved with a friendly staff member after about 15minutes but it is worth noting for other travellers - be reassured that they will get to you when they are able but there may be a slight delay at that time of night.