“Hotel had everything I needed”

Best Western Pony Soldier Inn - Airport
Ranked #20 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Edmonton, Canada
“Hotel had everything I needed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

Went down to Portland and was looking for a hotel close to the train line and the airport with connections to the city. The Pony Soldier fit the bill nicely. Two train stops from the airport and a 3 minute walk from the station, my hotel room was ready for me even at 11:00 AM. Before I left home, I had booked a king because I was travelling solo, but was pleasantly surprised to find that my king was actually in a very nice spacious suite which included a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. With couch, two armchairs and a desk with chair, I had more room than I actually needed to spread my stuff out! I was checked into the hotel in about a minute and a half by a very courteous staff member. Checkout was just as seamless.
Room was very clean, bed was a great sleep; coffee was available at all hours in the lobby-- as was the hotel computer and printer. Although I didn't use it, the pool and jacuzzi in the inner courtyard did look awfully inviting as well. The only downside I can think of was that the eggs and sausage patties in the included breakfast didn't taste that great because I got up late and they were probably sitting around for a while by then. Had to make a waffle to make up for it--which was certainly adequate!
Great restaurant right next door and an excellent steakhouse about 300m to the East
The hotel also has a shuttle which I used to return to the airport when I left, which was appreciated.

Room Tip: Corner suites appear to be larger and have more windows. If you're travelling with kids, they m...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

We loved staying here--3 nights. Bed comfy, room layout excellent, patio room facing the pool, and great breakfast in the morning with hot food, fruit, etc. Only drawback was that the jacuzzi jets weren't working the three nights we were there, which I think was a little excessive--should have been fixed within that time frame. Staff were very helpful and kind. Hotel atmosphere quiet and cozy. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Franklin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

After a harsh day w/our arrival being 1 hour late & our luggage being 2 1/2 hours late, it was refreshing to have a desk clerk who was understanding that we were so exhausted & a bit out of sorts. Sue Ann, the desk clerk, was very kind, efficient, courteous and accommodating. Our room was very spacious, clean & nicely decorated. It was like a home away from home. We booked another night on the night before leaving Portland and again met with great staff & a beautiful, clean & spacious room! Kudos to Pony Soldier for making our long day turn into a very restful night!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed @ this facility for just a night - originally we booked for 2 nights but we were stucked in Newport, Oregon and could not make it here for the first night but the staff took care of it and were very understanding and accomodating. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were well- maintained. We loved the pool and the complimentary breakfast. The exercise equipments need a little updating, that's all. Overall, we had a wondeful stay and the price was just right. We wanted to visit the famous Grotto of Our Sorrowful Mother and found out that it was just a couple of minutes away - so we ended up going to Mass the next day,too! Thank you very much for the memories.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

This review is based on a short 1 night stay and taken from a business trip perspective. After reading reviews here I decided to try this hotel due to its closeness to PDX.
The outside of the hotel looked ordinary but seemed well maintained. The lobby was quite open and nice but it did strike me as old fashioned. Check-in took a little while though the person was pleasant enough. I was a bit concerned about being on the 1st floor near a side entrance but I found it quiet.
The hall was clean but looked used as did the room which kept the old style vibe. The little fridge and microwave were functional as were the non-digital tv and AC system. The room was a little small for the king size bed and I didn't like the layout so much with the tv being to side instead of the foot of the bed. Without bedside tables the clock was on the the headboard shelf which I disliked. The bed was comfortable and I slept well.
The breakfast was ok with limited selection. Checkout was smooth. The place needs a sprucing up and seems more geared to leisure versus business stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business