“Outstanding Vegetarian!”

Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Vegetarian, Vegan Indian food cooked with Love.
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Fortunately my husband didn’t realize this Indian restaurant HE suggested was vegetarian until we arrived. Despite his doubts about getting a decent meal, we stayed, and he was glad we did. (One reason to stay were all the Indian guests who were there!). He loved the Tikka Masala with saag paneer (Indian cheese), the rice was fragrant and perfect, and all the breads we tried were outstanding (pappadum provided to all tables, plus the naan and roti). The pakora (fritters of onion and potatoes) were crispy and delicious. The dish I ordered with coconut was too subtle for my husband, but I liked it very much.
Actually, we were upset at first when the couple seated after us got their food first, and then it turned out our pakora had been taken to another table! But our waiter was very apologetic, got a new pakora order in quickly, and then the cost was removed from our check without our even asking. If we actually lived here, instead of being tourists, I would be here often!
FYI, they do have a wine list.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

We visited Maruti with family and friends and thoroughly enjoyed food and service. They serve high quality, fresh and tasteful Indian food. Their menu is extensive and have options for vegans as well. I wish I could enjoy it everyday. Friendly staff made our visit more pleasant . Highly recommend the restaurant.

1  Thank PromilaL
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We found this little gem via the Eater Portland website’s list of the 18 Essential Vegetarian and Vegan restaurants in Portland and it disintegrated disappoint.
The mushroom biryani was both delicious and plentiful, the Apple Avocado salad was outstanding as was the vegan Tikka Masala.
Complimented with the super friendly and prompt service, this was an A+ experience.
The only improvement I could suggest is for them to make their bathrooms more appealing. They definitely don’t match how delightful everything else was.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Fabulous food. You won't even notice that it's vegetarian and vegan. The Tikka Masala with paneer is incredible. Also amazing cheese jalapeño naan and excellent pakoras. Great wait staff. Nice decor. One of our favorites restaurants.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

The briyani was wonderful and had the best chicken tikka masala I've ever!

The chai was super delish and fresh (as was everything else we enjoyed here).

The seating arrangement is super friendly, promoting warm community in a style that is VERY Cascadia.

Total strangers and I ended up sharing portions off of each others tables as the servings were ginormous and soooo, so flavorful!

I cannot wait to go back, now. Tarboush used to be my favorite restaurant on Hawthorne. Now my fave is Maruti! <3

Pure love to the family that owns this place!