“Simple with Old Military Feel”
Review of Ace Hotel Portland

Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #60 of 142 Hotels in Portland
California
“Simple with Old Military Feel”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed at the Ace in October 2011 during the Portland Marathon. It was great because we were in walking distance from starting and finish lines. The room was nice and very simple. We had a queen bed with desk and sink. We used the shared bathroom down the hall (about 2 doors down). The bathroom was surprisingly big and very clean! Our room was medium sized which was fine. We did not need a big room. Heater in the room was nice for the fall.

Breakfast is offered in a converted room on the 2nd floor (?) for about 8 bucks (can't remember the exact price) but it was yummy! Breakfast included an assortment of breads, cheeses, yogurt, fruits, coffee... and more. All you can eat!

There's a little area above the lobby surrounded by old knickknacks and filing cabinets where you can read and relax. There's a big table you can sit at.

In the lobby there is a photo booth for a fun souvenir and an attached coffee shop and restaurant.

Room Tip: If you don't mind sharing a bathroom- save some money and get a smaller room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Ace Hotel Portland is a good place to stay once just to see it and say you've been there. I found the room quite small, yet the bathroom was huge. Too bad we couldn't hang out in the bathroom. It sucked that we had this huge bathroom, but only a shower, no tub. Our queen bed was against the wall, not really ideal for two people, and the bed was very hard. Some people say that's because it's a platform bed, but we stayed somewhere else that had a platform bed and it was as soft as can be. We did pick a back bedroom, and I'm not sure that was a great idea. I don't know how loud the front rooms were, but our room was very dark since the window just looked over a wall that was two feet away. The continental breakfast, which costs $10 per person, was a bit expensive for what you get. The service was really good though, in both the breakfast room and at the front desk. I also appreciated the army/industrial decor and nice shampoo/conditioner.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanmight
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I travel to Portland quite a bit and have stayed in various different hotels but I've always wanted to stay at the Ace. It just exudes hip-ness. The hotel has great design from the lobby to the room keys! It's a great alternative to the chains that are out there.

I appreciate all the design touches and the intentional vintage look to the place. I love the communal lobby with the sofa's. The upstairs reading/computer area is also a great place to lounge. The location is very central and you can't go wrong with stumptown, kenny and zukes and clyde commons right downstairs.

Room wise, it is quite sparse but it does have some interesting touches. Love the malin and goetz bath products and the charcoal soap. The little tip envelope was a great idea. The hand sink in the corner felt a little like I was in a hostel. I had a double room which I had to myself which was pretty nice. Although if I was sharing the room it would be a little cramped. It is an old building in front of a noisy street so don't expect it to be quiet. The beds however were not comfortable for me. They were pretty hard and sparse. I like fluffy duvets and pillows not really what you get at the Ace. Sleep wise not great for me but adequate. The ironing board was one of those small little table top ones which are quite annoying to use. They did have what looked like a good breakfast on the second floor.

If you are looking for a boutique 4-5* hotel with the full package: valet, bathrobes, mini bar, pillow menu and pool. This is not the hotel for you. If you are in Portland for a unique, fun, seen and be seen hipster vibe I would say the Ace is for you. Personally I felt like a little intimidated, like you're at an indie hip art opening, and everyone is a notch cooler than you.

Pricewise, I was here for a conference and so luckily for me I didn't have to pay for my room ($170/night). The real deterrent for me from staying here in the past really was the price and still is. In Portland there are so many nice boutique hotels to stay at for the same price with better service and with comfier interiors. If you are curious I would stay at least once for the experience but personally I don't think i'll be back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank cw8289
NYC
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I'm a fan of the Ace hotels and I like their whole vibe and style, but I think they're overcharging for this one. No gym, no pool, loud, ridiculous elevator, very small room with bad sliding bathroom door and an annoying sink-in-the-corner situation. On the plus side, it's all very cute and the downtown location is convenient. There's a Stumptown Coffee located off the lobby as well as the very good Clyde Common -- great drinks and food, especially during happy hour. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room in back.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bighassle
Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I reviewed the ACE after our previous stay in May 2009. When planning our return trip to Portland we thought about staying someplace else just to change things up but kept talking about the Ace. It was decided!

We booked a front facing room so that we'd have some natural light. Man, I forgot how noisy it can be out there! Good thing the Ace supplies ear plugs. We used them. Our room had a glass enclosed shower in room. And then the toilet was enclosed behind it. This wasn't my preference, but wasn't as problematic as I feared upon check in.

Alright, so review changes from the previous stay-- since our last visit they've added a breakfast service out of a converted space on the first floor. Its $10 to visit and worth every penny. Fresh coffee and tea, juices and baked goods. An attendant offers you a prepared dish. There's also an assortment of fruits, cheeses, meats and pickled stuff. I really enjoyed the whole concept.

One big giant complaint-- something that honestly spoiled my opinion of the hotel-- TWICE we entered Clyde Common to get a night cap while the place was bustling with people at the bar and at tables. Both times (and early mind you), the bartender told us he had just called last call. I even explained that we were staying at the hotel and catching an early flight in the morning and didn't feel like galavanting around. No dice. Lame. Seriously. Last call is super early and the bartender didn't feel any compassion toward hotel guests. I'm quite sure we would have finished our drinks well before some of the other people who remained at the bar with fresh drinks that they had gotten before his 'last call'. It sucked.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple