“Not impressed”

Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #61 of 142 Hotels in Portland
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The room was small, the bed felt like a futon, my laptop had a bigger screen than the TV, and the lobby appeared completely rundown especially with all the riff raff the coffee shop brought into the lobby. The front desk was extremely slow and inefficient, the only good thing about this hotel is the general proximity to everything. For the same amount of money you could stay at the Kimpton's place which I certainly will on my next trip to Portland.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jdogg71
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My first trip to Portland would not have been complete without a visit to The Ace Hotel. I read all the reviews and had some friends share their experiences with me, it was all I expected and more! I had a room with a private bathroom and beautiful tub on the front side of the hotel. Noise was not an issue for me but I can see how some people who are more sensitive to noise might be bothered. The room was clean, cute and very comfortable as was the lobby and common areas. Overall a fantastic experience, I cant wait for my next visit. I recommend The Ace Hotel to adventurous traveler, you will love it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
305shorty
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The hotel is definitely not your typical hotel, which is what my boyfriend and I were looking for. But at the same time it is over priced for the tiny rooms and bathrooms...or should I even call them bathrooms? The shower was in the middle of the room and the actual toilet in a separate "water closet" type thing. I wasn't a big fan of that because I would like some privacy when I am using the toilet and occasionally also when I'm in the shower!! I loved that there was a coffee shop and a lounge/bar right next door but I was slightly disappointed by the Ace overall. I think the cleanliness is what bothered me the most.... There were definitely some "questionable" stains on the large green pillow that kind of acted as a headboard. We weren't too big of fans of that and removed the oversized pillow immediately!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rodriguez_305
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Be warned...this is not a normal hotel! It's a statement of 25-30 something hipness and although I had a fine stay at the Ace Hotel, if you expect a standard hotel experience, you'll be extremely disappointed.
The rooms are designed to be downward-chic styled to appeal to the young crowd. My room had a spartan bed in the center of the room surrounded by a sink and the shower. The toilet was near the entrance. The walls were painted gray with a poetic saying painted in black script across the wall above a long spartan board serving as a table. I didn't mind it at all but was desperate for a small fridge and coffee machine. Too pedestrian and uncool, I guess.
The old building has been renovated to be clean, but isn't soundproof and groans and creaks are heard at any time, day or night. Downstairs, the lobby has a huge central table surrounded by a sectional couch occupied for most of the day by hip young people with their Macbooks and dour looks on their faces. The great Stumptown coffee is served through a portal to the shop next door.
I've been once before and the service was cool and indifferent. This time, service was pleasant and deficiencies (non-working shower, etc.) were attended to quickly.
Parking is at an outdoor lot about 1/2 block from the Hotel. It's safe and convenient although I wasn't sure the first time I stayed.
The hotel is right adjacent to The Pearl district and about 1/2 block from Powell Books, a spectacular destination.
In summary, the hotel is true quirky Portland. If you want a regular stay, try elsewhere, but if you're young and hip, this is the place. Oh, it's not particularly cheap for being spartan.

Room Tip: Best to stay facing the back of the hotel away from the noise of the street. Also beware that some...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank david_ex29
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Ultra cool, but surprisingly unpretentious, this is a great value-for-money option in Portland. Rooms, while on the small side, were spotless, stylish, and comfortable. Loved the Malin+Goetz toiletries, and the awesome Wings and Horns robes. Shopping is great fun in the Pearl District, topped off with a visit to Clyde Common for some great happy hour cocktails and snacks. Stumptown coffee is as superb as everyone says, and we also had a great sandwich at Kenny and Zuke's on the corner. Overall, a great few rainy days in a pretty cool town. Stay at the Ace, it's really a slice of Portland that is worth trying.

• Stayed December 2011