“Dinner with friends”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Met some mates out. Service was attentive and good. The portion sizes were right on. The hot wings were not that hot but still tasty and good. The buffalo salad had a good heat going and was classic Thai tastes. The salad was also tasty. Overall not bad but I wouldn’t stand in a hour queue to eat here.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I finally got to go here, after about 10 years of anticipation. It lived up to everything! All the food was great, and we had a wonderful waiter who really made it an even better experience. If you go at an odd time - like 8:30 Sunday evening - it's not that long a wait. We barely had time to finish our drinks across the street before we were called.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Portland, OR has dozens of fantastic restaurants with fantastic food from which to choose, and many are a very good bargain. Pok Pok does not make the grade in any respect. Summary: small, over-priced portions of underwhelming dishes served in an odd and rather sterile room.

I dined at Pok Pok NW for the first time with out-of-town guests during Portland Dining Month. I had five star ratings of the other restaurants I had tried during the month, and I was most looking forward to Pok Pok. We had an early reservation and the restaurant was not crowded at that hour. The decor is odd...not kitschy enough to be Asian and rather sterile overall. Our table was 10" from the adjacent one and there was no privacy whatsoever.

The Dining Month menu featured Miam Khan, Betel leaf wraps with diced ingredients that were completely bland without the tamarind sauce. There were two bites of this item, normally $8.00 on their menu ..... don't do it. The other element of the First Course was an herbal salad called Yam Samun Phrai that was pretty awful, mostly carrot and parsnip with a strong flavor of lime leaf with an imperceptible dressing; $13.25....why?

I chose Cha Ca "La Vong" for the Second Course. There were exactly 4 pieces of heavily breaded and fried catfish about the size of a woman's thumb on a bed of rice pasta. The catfish was completely unexceptional.... could not even taste the fish inside the breading. This dish normally is considered a dish to share and is $15.75 on the regular menu. Terrible value for 4 bites of fish with some pasta. It came with rice, which is normally $2.50-$3.50 ala carte on the menu.

The Third Course was the Whiskeysoda Float ($7.50). SO DISAPPOINTING! There was not even a hint of whiskey flavor in the dessert, which tasted like a small dip of vanilla ice cream mixed into diluted coca cola. A regular root beer float (usually not $7.50 and 3x the size) is much tastier. The "brace of cherries" purported to come with it was a small single cherry on a toothpick. We really could not believe this sad excuse for a dessert. Buy some Talenti Gelato for $5.00 at nearby Safeway, instead.

My companion wisely elected to forego the Dining Month set menu and ordered the Muu Paa Kham Waan (boar collar meat rubbed with garlic). This was billed as a dish to share, but it was really barely a single serving of food which for some reason came with an enormous and dramatic mound of shaved ice for the accompanying mustard greens; this was incomprehensible......$15.75, I think.

The restaurant boasts the fish sauce chicken wings. I guess we should have ordered that, instead. Three glasses of decent but average white wine between us was $39.00 and our total was $91.00 before tip. This is pretty over-the-top for Portland dining that is so below average in every way. Just because a filling or a sauce has 10 tiny ingredients that includes something spicy does not make it good.

There was only one server for most of the 90 minutes we were in the restaurant. He was friendly but too busy to be attentive.

I love Thai and other Asian food, but I could never recommend this restaurant. My fellow diner said that it seemed Pok Pok was a very sad imitation of a popular L.A. restaurant called Night Market.

There was quite a wait when we left; I wish I could have warned them....

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The food was awesome! The service was good. Definitely a place to you want to visit if your in Portland! We waited an hour and a half, so plan ahead.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Long a recommended favorite among foodies, Pok Pok has become a "go to" spot for everyone who likes creative, well prepared and fresh fare. The menu us hugely varied from the mundane (that tastes great) to the extreme (that you're likely to see on few menus and is still wonderful to put in your mouth). Several rooms make up this high energy fun experience with a great staff. Don't be intimidated. The staff is prepared to recommend and they do it really well! I've been known to go in and say simply "only mildly hot....feed me!" and they bring me a meal of wonderful surprises. Go; you won't be sorry.