All reviews division street other guests gabriel garcia marquez fresh bagels two nights claw foot continental breakfast is within walking distance few blocks hawthorne neighborhood privacy district laundry repair pdx
Reviewed 5 May 2016

Coming out to Portland was a spontaneous get away for the night. I was visiting friends near Reed College and did not want to stay down town or near the airport. This guesthouse was in a perfect location. It was very convenient to make a reservation on-line. Instructions are sent to you via email regarding front door entry and where your room is located. Rooms were clean and very comfortable. I enjoyed my stay very much. One of the reasons I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is this was my first visit. For the first visit it is always nice to be greeted and have someone available to ask questions to about what was nearby. However, I still wouldn't pull a star away for that, but my main complaint was parking. Like I mentioned first time arrival trying to find parking on a busy street and not knowing exactly where to go was a bit inconvenient. Outside of that the place was quaint. The pictures are exactly what the rooms look like. I would recommend the stay.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank marianastario
Reviewed 18 March 2016

We stayed 3 nights here in the Beverly Cleary room. Loved our room and the location was convenient to my workshop I was attending. However, the parking was not easy. Very little parking nearby but the website said there was convenient and free street parking. I'm disabled (use a cane) so it was rough for me having to walk so far to my car nearly a block away. The Guesthouse was very cozy and great atmosphere but on our 2nd night an older couple checked in and basically took over the kitchen (5-7p cooking the most AWFUL smelling food). The entire house smelled of the wretched stench, even my clothes in my suitcase and the smell kept us up past midnight! Also said couple monopolized the common areas, reading aloud in very LOUD voices and playing the guitar downstairs late into the night and I had to rise early for the workshop. We almost asked for a refund, but the next day they must have checked out so we stayed and the last 2 nights there were awesome!!! Would stay again if I have another workshop in the area.

Room Tip: Conveniently located to walk to very trendy eating establishments.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Kaylene S
Reviewed 9 July 2015

For the cost, you can't beat this location and amenities. The Ken Kesey room is especially nice as it is off to itself in the back and very quiet. Everything is clean and well maintained, and as a bonus the AC kept up with the 100 degree hot-spell we experienced.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and had a lovely time. The house is gorgeous and clean and the 'serve yourself' breakfast is very generous.

The location is perfect. Plenty of quality places to eat nearby and possibly one of the prettiest and most interesting areas of Portland that we saw.

We had a lot of privacy but also had the opportunity to meet other guests over breakfast or in the communal lounge area.

Stayed: June 2015
2  Thank Wmvic
Reviewed 9 May 2015

My husband and I just spent four nights in Portland. We planned on staying with family the first two nights and at Bluebird the last two based on recommendations from a dear friend. He loves it there and stays often and has stayed several times in the room he recommended we stay in, the Gabriel Garcia-Marquez room. He told us how quiet this room was, but either our stay was a fluke or his several stays were (he's stayed in almost every room in the house) because the room was not very quiet at all! Part of our disappointment could be that we ended up deciding not to stay with family the first two nights afterall and due to no vacancy at Bluebird, we stayed our first nights at Evermore around the corner. Our room there was extremely private and quiet. When we left the Evermore and came to Bluebird, we saw a cleaning lady (sidenote: she was adorable, completely decked out in 40s vintage, complete with an apron and red lipstick) who assured us our room would be ready soon. We decided to leave our luggage and go out for a while while she readied the room for us. Upon return, it was clean, but they were doing some sort of repair work in the room above us, so for hours there was banging and sawing. We left again, giving up on our idea of resting a bit but sadly, it was still going on after we got back from an ice cream run. I understand that it's an old place and will need repairs, however, a note would have been nice at least acknowledging the annoying noise, if not an offer to discount our rate. That night when we were getting ready for bed, the children who live next door were outside yelling and playing. I know that the B&B has no control over this, but I wonder if we'd been in an upstairs room if the noise would have not been so loud. The following night not only were the kids outside again, but later (after 9:30) there were three people sitting in the living room outside of our door whooping it up, talking and laughing. We are not confrontational people by nature, so I just walked out of the room, greeted them and got a glass of water from the kitchen and headed back into my room. They got the hint. The kitchen is not as well equipped as I would have liked, I tried to fry an egg, but the pans were too big in addition, there was no dish soap in the kitchen, so I'm not sure how the dishes in the drying rack were getting cleaned! When I washed our dishes, I foraged through the cabinets and located an SOS pad, which was overkill for our glasses and plates, but it worked. My final complaint is that we have reason to believe there was a mouse living in the room we were staying in (poop). We are pretty relaxed about that sort of thing, but I know for sure many other travelers would have a very hard time accepting that).

It sounds like we hated it, but truth is it's a very cozy and quaint place and our room was beautiful with an extremely comfortable king sized bed and fantastic claw foot tub. I also preferred the low key style of Bluebird over the grandness of the Evermore. I really liked the vintage furniture, but when we travel to Portland again, we will choose the privacy and quiet of Evermore over Bluebird.

Room Tip: Upstairs may be your best bet for some quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple