All reviewsdivision streetother guestsgabriel garcia marquezfresh bagelstwo nightsclaw footcontinental breakfast iswithin walking distancefew blockshawthorneneighborhoodprivacydistrictlaundryrepairpdx
Reviewed 9 July 2015

For the cost, you can't beat this location and amenities. The Ken Kesey room is especially nice as it is off to itself in the back and very quiet. Everything is clean and well maintained, and as a bonus the AC kept up with the 100 degree hot-spell we experienced.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2015 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and had a lovely time. The house is gorgeous and clean and the 'serve yourself' breakfast is very generous.

The location is perfect. Plenty of quality places to eat nearby and possibly one of the prettiest and most interesting areas of Portland that we saw.

We had a lot of privacy but also had the opportunity to meet other guests over breakfast or in the communal lounge area.

Stayed: June 2015
2  Thank Wmvic
Reviewed 9 May 2015

My husband and I just spent four nights in Portland. We planned on staying with family the first two nights and at Bluebird the last two based on recommendations from a dear friend. He loves it there and stays often and has stayed several times in the room he recommended we stay in, the Gabriel Garcia-Marquez room. He told us how quiet this room was, but either our stay was a fluke or his several stays were (he's stayed in almost every room in the house) because the room was not very quiet at all! Part of our disappointment could be that we ended up deciding not to stay with family the first two nights afterall and due to no vacancy at Bluebird, we stayed our first nights at Evermore around the corner. Our room there was extremely private and quiet. When we left the Evermore and came to Bluebird, we saw a cleaning lady (sidenote: she was adorable, completely decked out in 40s vintage, complete with an apron and red lipstick) who assured us our room would be ready soon. We decided to leave our luggage and go out for a while while she readied the room for us. Upon return, it was clean, but they were doing some sort of repair work in the room above us, so for hours there was banging and sawing. We left again, giving up on our idea of resting a bit but sadly, it was still going on after we got back from an ice cream run. I understand that it's an old place and will need repairs, however, a note would have been nice at least acknowledging the annoying noise, if not an offer to discount our rate. That night when we were getting ready for bed, the children who live next door were outside yelling and playing. I know that the B&B has no control over this, but I wonder if we'd been in an upstairs room if the noise would have not been so loud. The following night not only were the kids outside again, but later (after 9:30) there were three people sitting in the living room outside of our door whooping it up, talking and laughing. We are not confrontational people by nature, so I just walked out of the room, greeted them and got a glass of water from the kitchen and headed back into my room. They got the hint. The kitchen is not as well equipped as I would have liked, I tried to fry an egg, but the pans were too big in addition, there was no dish soap in the kitchen, so I'm not sure how the dishes in the drying rack were getting cleaned! When I washed our dishes, I foraged through the cabinets and located an SOS pad, which was overkill for our glasses and plates, but it worked. My final complaint is that we have reason to believe there was a mouse living in the room we were staying in (poop). We are pretty relaxed about that sort of thing, but I know for sure many other travelers would have a very hard time accepting that).

It sounds like we hated it, but truth is it's a very cozy and quaint place and our room was beautiful with an extremely comfortable king sized bed and fantastic claw foot tub. I also preferred the low key style of Bluebird over the grandness of the Evermore. I really liked the vintage furniture, but when we travel to Portland again, we will choose the privacy and quiet of Evermore over Bluebird.

Room Tip: Upstairs may be your best bet for some quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melanie E
Reviewed 18 February 2015

I absolutely loved my stay at the Bluebird Guesthouse. I have to travel down to Portland once a month for work, and I plan to stay there again. I would have stayed this month but they were already booked up a month ahead of time for the weekend!

They had an excellent selection of food for breakfast, bagels, jam, vegan butter, cream cheese. They had alternative milks and organic cow milk for coffee. They had a ton of pastries, which I did not try, but looked very appetizing.

I was unsure of it at first, as I had to find my room in the house, which I had a key code for the front entrance, and basic directions to get to my room. I found a welcome letter on my bed detailing amenities, wifi, check in and check out times, etc. My key was in the door. It was an odd experience not having someone to check in with, but it was a quiet stay, my bed was cozy as ever, and I snuggled up with a movie on my laptop right after a long day.

Other reviewers complained of parking, but I quickly found a parking spot on a side street. I had to walk for about a minute, but this was even on a busy friday night.

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room next to a bathroom (they are communal unless you have one of the suites), but no one used the bathroom to the left of the stairs. It was quiet upstairs.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Gabby F
Reviewed 24 October 2014

The Blue Bird has slowly become a part of our family. My grandma lived at an assisted living facility on SE Hawthorne. Finding accommodation nearby for visiting family members has been a challenge, particularly as they crack down on airbnb in the city. The Blue Bird is an excellent choice for a budget minded traveler. I stayed in both the basement room and the Raymond Carver room. The basement was great, good windows, super quiet and dark, great for sleeping. The Raymond Carver was no ideal simply because it faced east and didn't have good blinds, easy to fix. It was slightly noiser but I just put on the fan and it was fine. Breakfast is easy and most of the other guests are super respectful. The front porch is great for sitting in the evenings. Have stayed twice, once in May 2014 once in October 2014. My mother has stayed multiple times.
The best thing I can say about the place is it is SUPER clean and you don't have to worry about picking up something strange, which is always a concern in the big name hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a basement room, they are quiet, inexpensive and out of the way of other travelers.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo