“Pleasantly Surprised”

Econo Lodge City Center
Ranked #75 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I'll be honest: I read "Econo Lodge" and I frown.

However, I read the positive reviews on here and decided to risk staying here. I'm glad that I did.

Clean rooms, cheap price, and genial and helpful service. Can't ask for much more than that for a night's stay. This place is on par with some Comfort Inns or Quality Inns that I stayed at.

Still, breakfast is on the light side, parking's a little tight, and the rooms have outdoor entrances.

For the price I paid, however, I don't think this place can be beat value-wise. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I was in Portland this week for a couple of days with my parents who needed to be near OHSU hospital. We chose this Econo Lodge because of its location and because of the positive reviews we read on Trip Advisor. We were glad we did. The motel was very nice, extremely clean, the owners were very helpful and pleasant to work with, and OHSU was about 5 minutes away. We had a good stay and would gladly stay here again, whether or not we needed to be near the hospital.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Although you won't get the amenities you'd expect at a Hilton or Marriott .... this is a first rate motel.

I only booked here because I had friends that were staying here .... and probably wouldn't have otherwise. I'm a frequent "hoteler" and normally stay at Hilton properties.

I was beyond pleasantly surprised with this property. The owner / managers were first rate -- hospitable, friendly, and efficient. The room was clean and comfortable. Behind the check in counter were awards for their housekeeping besting the standards of this chain .... and the awards were deserved.

In most locations of the country, I would be hesitant to stay at an EconoLodge when other options presented themselves. Regarding this property, however, I would stay there again without giving it a second thought. ..... and, as a bonus, the location is A+.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank James B
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Easy to find right off freeway. Friendly reception, easy check in. Small room but lots of shelf space for cases, etc. A/C worked very well in 92 degree heat! Fridge, microwave in room. Comfortable beds.
A little old and worn but very suitable for our needs. Easy walk to downtown or near train and streetcar. Parked right outside our unit ($10 charge). Small continintal breakfast of bread and bagels.
Clean, comfortable stay. I'd stay here again on my next trip to Portland.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Theo58
Reviewed 12 September 2011

It looks a bit in need of renos from the outside but this simply contributes to it being a very good deal for lodging in central Portland. The rooms are nice and clean and the location is right next to the free streetcars that service the downtown core. The owners are helpful in the extreme with all the directions and recommendations you could ask for; they're truly pleasant people. We'll stay there again as Portland is a fun city and this hotel allows you to stay without being fleeced at the big corporate ritzy joints. (be sure to visit the zoo; it's amazing).

Room Tip: There is no