“Friendly, family owned budget motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Viking Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
Viking Motel
Ranked #68 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Ashland, Oregon
“Friendly, family owned budget motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Big, spacious room with fridge and microwave, comfortable bed and the nicest owner I have ever met. He offered use of his freezer, brought me a vase for my flowers, and asked one of his family to help me with my car. A very pleasant stay while attending a workshop and so convenient to New Seasons Market and Deli. I would definitely stay there again and have already recommended The Viking to friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank CindyCAshland_Oregon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at the Viking Motel while visiting my son in Portland. It was within walking distance of his house so very convenient. It is also right on the trolley line, so has good access to all of Portland. The room was simple, but clean and fine for a 3 night stay. It was furnished with a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave, which was very handy. The owner was extremely kind and helpful. He provided information, helped me wrap my son's birthday gift (provided tape) and greeted my son with a friendly "Happy Birthday!" when he arrived. There is a Whole Foods-like grocery a block away, a number of restaurants within a short drive ( we loved MiHo Japanese) and the neighborhood felt very safe for walking. I like to stay at small Mom-and-Pop owner run motels when possible, and Viking Motel was a great deal for the price. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Wendy N
Kennewick, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

This is the third year that myself and 2 friends have stayed at the Viking Motel. We come to Portland to go to the yearly Wood show. We have all ways booked early and have never had a problem getting three rooms. I like to stay on the second level and have been able to specify that when booking the room. The staff has been able to answer any questions and the owner gave me his card so we could contact him if necessary.

The rooms are fine and have been clean. My only concern is for the people that may be below me because the floors creak pretty badly, I am usually up pretty late and my walking around may be a problem to them.

There is easy access to the freeway, and there is a gas station, grocery store, coffee shop and restaurant within a block of this location.

As I mentioned at the start of this review this is our third year staying here and we will continue to do so when we return when we return for the wood show.

Dan D

Room Tip: You might want to try for the upper floor to avoid noise from the creaking floors.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dan D
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

The Viking Motel served a temporary home for my boyfriend and I last month. We had just relocated to Portland and needed an affordable place to stay for at least two weeks during our apartment search. I am SO glad we chose to stay here for many reasons. One: everyone who works here is incredibly nice, helpful, and attentive. It made me feel relaxed and at ease, which was helpful after the stress of driving across the country. Two: it's right next to the Max line and New Seasons, our daily stop for coffee and breakfast pastries. Three: free cable meant we got to watch a lot of horror movies the week before Halloween. Our room was cleaned everyday, laundry is onsite and there's free wifi; there is a lot going on here considering how affordable it is. The coolest part about our stay? We discovered how much we liked the neighborhood (Arbor Lodge/Overlook) and found an apartment to rent in the area. I highly recommend this place to anyone, especially those who need a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rell O
Springfield, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

My husband and i chose to stay at the Viking motel in Portland on the recommendation of friends when we needed a place to stay while awaiting the birth of our granddaughter. It was convenient to the freeway and therefore very easy to find. As another reviewer already wrote, the owners went out of their way to take care of our needs and make sure we were comfortable and felt welcome. It was very affordable, had a microwave and mini-fridge, and was within walking distance to a wonderful natural foods store and the MAX. A great find in PDX!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family